Forums Latest Members
  1. algeyboy Jan 30, 2018

Hi there,
    i am diving in and hoping i don't transgress any forum rules. Apologies in advance if i do. I have been looking for a Speedmaster 176.0014 for a while and seen some on various auctions etc. I have found one i like and would appreciate some advice as to whether you think it feels right. I am a one watch owner at the moment having indulged for a milestone birthday and now a bit hooked.

The watch is a 1976 model, being sold by a dealer in Europe. It has been serviced recently and had a new Omega crystal and i think a bit of a polish (which i am not sure if to be concerned about). Apparently dial untouched and hands etc all original, which they look to me in my non expert opinion. I don't have any photos of the movement yet, but have requested.

It is at the higher end of the price range i have seen these go for. But i don't mind if i get a good watch. I want something i can wear regularly (my only other watch is a dress one).

Look forward to hearing your thoughts.

DSC6.jpg DSC5.jpg DSC4.jpg DSC3.jpg DSC2.jpg DSC1.jpg

Edited Jan 30, 2018
  2. Fatcat Jan 30, 2018

Looks good and clean , got mine 2weeks ago in same state nothing to say hope the price range is around 1700 US$

3. algeyboy Jan 31, 2018

Thanks @Fatcat Much appreciated. This one is a bit higher price than that (quite a bit) so possibly over priced. Glad you think it looks ok. I really love the styling of these. Super 70's. Just waiting on the movement photos to post.

Edited Jan 31, 2018
  4. algeyboy Jan 31, 2018

Herewith a photo.Interested on any thoughts on this. IMG_5131[1].JPG

Kjian414 likes this.
  5. roryoc11 Jan 31, 2018

Hi @algeyboy ,

Dial and hands look good. Polish has left the sides of the case a bit of but it looks all round okay. The visible dirt around the movement makes me think it hasnt been serviced recently. I dont know if I would be paying above the going rate for this one. How does it compare to the others you have seen?

6. algeyboy Jan 31, 2018

Thanks @roryoc11 they said it was serviced in 2016. At that point the crystal was replaced with an Omega replacement, and it was stripped and cleaned. I was a little surprised when i saw this photo as it does look a little grubby. Oddly the photos of the watch in the OP don't seem to show the dirt of the movement photo on the case. I am no expert though. In terms of others i have seen, the case looks better even if polished but the movement looks a bit more 'used'.

7. algeyboy Jan 31, 2018

Just checked in with the seller and this was a pre service photo which makes more sense.

8. frederico Jan 31, 2018

HI and. welcome. I wouldn’t pay a premium for this. Looks nice enough (chrono hand is replaced and out of place, maybe the sub dial hand at 9 o’clock has been replaced) but it’s a nice wearer, not a safe piece. Hard to tell from the photos but looks like a new bezel as well as crystal, plus the case has been brushed.

Have you ever handled one, or just seen pictures? I only ask because these watches have quite a tall case height which doesn’t work for everyone.

Edit: on reflection I’d pass. The seller isn’t being honest IMO, and sending you pics of the movement pre-service, presumably on the basis that you wouldn’t notice is not really forgivable.

Edited Jan 31, 2018
    Benbradstock likes this.
  9. algeyboy Feb 1, 2018

Thank you @frederico - the advice on here seems quite sage. I can see i have a lot to learn! I would never have spotted the hands as changed. I think you are right, this is more of a wearer which is what i want, but the ask is more a safe style price (E2000). I think i would be better getting a more reasonably priced one even if with some compromise on wear. And i take on board your point about trying them- i haven't but i love the styling and the chunky nature. Have been trying to find one here to try on.

Regarding the seller, i am prepared to give him benefit of the doubt- there have been some language translation issues and he has been good at answering all my questions when i ask them. And i am grateful that the people on this forum have given me help on what questions to ask!

So the long and the short is that i am going to pass on this one based on price, keep looking, try one on and enjoy that i am learning more day by day. Thanks again to those that have helped me rein in my impulsive nature.

Benbradstock likes this.