Forums Latest Members

16660 (matte): Do they ever go tropic/brown?

1. SeaSubRod Feb 9, 2017

Hello everyone! First time poster, long time lurker. Was wondering if anyone had ever seen a 16660 Matte Sea-Dweller that had gone tropic/brown? Attached is my Mk1 dial for reference. Cheers.

IMG_2888.JPG
    Andy K likes this.
  2. brunik Feb 9, 2017

I don't think so, at least I never seen one... it's a beautiful watch... a keeper 4ever

SeaSubRod likes this.
  3. Faz Feb 9, 2017

Hi and welcome..a little intro would be nice..

I've never seen a brown "666" or 16800 although some go through great efforts to post pictures under certain light to show some that are allegedly turning brown..

Beautiful triple!

Cheers,

Edited Feb 9, 2017
    SeaSubRod and Foo2rama like this.
  4. SeaSubRod Feb 10, 2017

Thanks for the responses! I agree with you - I've yet to see a tropic 16660. In warm lighting and wishful thinking, even my 16660 seems like it's starting to go brown. Arguably, given some time, I'd say this thing is aging towards a bluish/grey hue. We shall see.

As for an intro, apologies for being so rude! I'm from New York, concentrate on collecting dive watches since I'm an avid diver (currently use an IWC 3536-01 Ti, happy to post photos) and learned to build watches by taking apart and rebuilding a Valjoux 7733 repeatedly. Joined this wonderful site learn more about the vintage watch world. Also, following the recent hysteria around vintage chronographs, wanted to get an education before buying anything stupidly overpriced.

Best regards,

Faz likes this.
  5. jaguar11 Feb 10, 2017

Nice watch you have there. Imho one of the best all round vintage Rolex!!!

SeaSubRod likes this.