Forums Latest Members
  1. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Jun 8, 2013

When I first bought my second watch, (apparently thereby becoming a “collector”), a good friend told me to concentrate. Concentrate on one brand, or year, or reference, or something. Otherwise, he said, it would be easy to end up with numerous diverse watches, which while interesting individually, were an incoherent group that as a whole would be hard to enjoy. That, and he said I would run out of money buying what looked like bargains and I would end up with a pile of disparate rubbish. Or at least nothing special. So years ago I decided to concentrate on early speedmasters, but every now and then, as I learn a little, I see something I like. And cheap. Well cheap enough to risk.

P1140127.jpg

I have just arrived back home to the smiling land and “accidentally” wore a 2998 back here instead of leaving it some first world safe deposit. Well I just love it, but really I need something a little less precious occasionally, as we do all tend to fall off motorcycles/horses/elephants as a normal part of everyday life here. So the 2998 has to stay safe for a few days:

P1140181.jpg

So this, I bought this gold capped seamaster for $240.Seems like a bargain to me, but I have no idea. Actually I must be honest, I don't even know if it keeps time.

Now show me a speedmaster, and I can tell you pretty much anything, but about this little thing I know nothing. However as a new Seiko is $400 I think I cant go wrong.

I didn’t even know the reference, so I opened it up. Inside its a cal 1002. Now I can outquote most people on movements in speedmasters but I have no idea what this movement is all about.

I am having fun.

P1140154.jpg

I am a little concerned with the stem. The picture shows it pushed in as far as it will go - which seems a little proud to me. As anyone who has read any of my posts will know, my horology skills are almost entirely eclipsed by my enthusiasm and what is left is cloaked in naivety…

P1140165.jpg
    The stem works, except when trying to set the hands clock wise, when it feels like the stem is not quite engaging, or slipping. The hands will move, but they slip, and it doesn't feel healthy. Looking at the stem and crown position is it too long?

Any thoughts gratefully received.
    Though bear in mind that sending it to my local watchmaker isn't really an option.

His workshop is not the shop, that sells plumbing.
    It is the box under the umbrella that he "borrowed" from the bank next door.
    Look carefully and you will see he is familiar with some pretty major brands, and unusually for this country, has spelled them correctly.
    At the time this photo was taken, he had gone for lunch, leaving his stock exposed.
    Repair shop.jpg

Its good to be home!

2. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jun 8, 2013

Layout of the 1002 is similar to the later 1010, 1020, 1022 models, but many of the parts are different. These are thin movements and as such use some parts that are a little on the delicate side. The friction on the cannon pinion is critical on all these models - too loose and the hands will not drive through a date change, and too tight and teeth will be stripped off setting parts. Absolute must to separate the cannon pinion from it's wheel before cleaning...and I use Moebius 9504 on the cannon pinion (just a small amount is needed).

Little hard to tell from your photos, but the stem looked like it was all the way in to me, so it may need to be trimmed off. The skipping feeling you have could be due to missing teeth on the minute wheel, sliding pinion, or the correcting lever. Hopefully it's the minute wheel or sliding pinion, as the correcting lever is expensive to replace.

IMO not of Omegas finest hours when it came to movement design. When they run, they run well, but the winding/setting parts are prone to damage due to how thin they made these movements.

Cheers, Al

PS - I have a quite incoherent groups of watches, and I enjoy them very much....

3. ulackfocus Jun 8, 2013

Yeah, so do I. Well, it's more like a coherent group of this and a coherent bunch of that which adds up to a big ????. :p

4. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Jun 8, 2013

I know 1002 is nightmare for many watchmaker but at 240 I think you make no regret purchase on that piece.
    For those live in developed world probably you would never watchmaker stall like that. It is very common in South East Asia (at least Indonesia, Thailand and Vietnam). In Bandung there are rows of these watchmaker stall in a street, probably 25 - 30 of them. I'll take picture if I have opportunity.

Fortunately my watchmaker is better than that. He does his work at home (near Bandung) in a neat, small and well equipped studio room. He had small lathe and mill machine to make and treat some parts, on top of the usual watch maker tools.

5. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Jun 9, 2013

Thanks Al for taking the time to elaborate - much appreciated.

Here it is in the wild - still going and by some miracle the correct time.
    20130609_145559.jpg

6. demer03 Jun 9, 2013

^^^ That is pretty

7. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 9, 2013

Is that a pink Toyota in the background?

8. ulackfocus Jun 9, 2013

Certainly looks like a Corolla.

9. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Jun 9, 2013

I think it just burned my retinas. The things you see when you don't have a bazooka in your hands:eek:

10. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Jun 9, 2013

Pink cars are favorite in Asia.
    Like this:
    [​IMG]

or this

[​IMG]

or even better, like this:

[​IMG]

You wouldn't mistake your car with your daughter's.........:p

11. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 9, 2013

My sister is a massive Hello Kitty fan, she'd buy that in a heartbeat lol

12. Omega78 Jun 9, 2013