Forums Latest Members
  1. Dgercp Aug 7, 2016

Wondering if I could get some opinions on the lume variance between hands and lume markers in this seamaster in particular, and on these in general. Can there be this much variation without invoking a re-lume? My limited research seems to suggest that sometimes the match is spot on, but that there can be legitimate variations of hand and hour markers.

This one not in hand yet, but will plan a lume test when I get it.

image.jpeg
  2. Fost Aug 7, 2016

Sure... I think there is more with variation than without...

Dgercp and lwong like this.
  3. dx009 Aug 7, 2016

I would say that the hands have been relumed at some point...

Davidt likes this.
  4. Dgercp Aug 7, 2016

Any input Gemini? Seller insisting to me the hands have not been relumed!

5. rollingrevolver Aug 7, 2016

The patina of the hands and dial can typically differ quite a bit, although I'm much more used to seeing darker patina on the hands than on the dial. One theory for this is that the tritium on the hands are exposed to oxidisation from above and below, as opposed to the tritium on the plots on the dial which add only exposed to oxidisation from above.

Here's my former sm300 with darker hands as an example. The bezel, hands, and dial all glowed exactly the same way and for the same period of time and as far as I could tell were perfectly original to the watch.

[​IMG]

6. WatchVaultNYC Aug 7, 2016

My 7016 Flake patinated the same way!

7. omegastar Aug 8, 2016

Another option is that the hands have been changed for newer ones during service at some point. So they have less patina because they were less exposed.
    If a customer complains about the fact that he can't see the time at night, changing the hands does the trick.
    This would explain why so many Sm 300 are like that.

8. JACK G Aug 10, 2016

I don't usually respond to threads of this nature as it is virtually impossible to come up with a definitive answer. On this occasion the OP has contacted me directly for an opinion and the following is just that - an opinion.

Unless the seller bought the watch new and it has never left his possession to go to a watch maker for a repair or service there can be no guarantee that the hands are original to this watch.

To me the colour difference would constantly cause me to question originality. In addition my OCD would prevent me enjoying this watch as it stands and I would have to change the hands in order to wear it.

I would replace the hands with an original set that has a closer match - easier said than done I know but not impossible. Alternatively I would get a replacement set and have them relumed to match the dial plots. The 'original' hands could be refitted at any future date if and when required.

As stated above this is my personal opinion and I am sure other forum members will have a different view.

9. Fost Aug 10, 2016

View attachment 268820 For me, those are tritium hands..
    Here is mine, original hands, lighter than dial marker but lume test is perfectly matching between hands dial and bezel.
    image.jpeg

image.jpeg
    Dgercp and smitty190373 like this.
  10. Dgercp Aug 10, 2016

Thanks for all the opinions everyone. I still don't have watch in hand but will do lume test when I do.
    For me, dispite color difference, the lume in hands looks so perfectly inserted and it actually looks aged like the rest of the watch, that I could convince myself it's original. But, guess an early tritium re-lume is possible?

11. Dash1 Aug 10, 2016

How could the seller possibly know?

12. Dgercp Aug 10, 2016

True of course, he actually said that nobdy could say 100% but for the many years of it's known history the hands were not touched. I think that is why re-luming can be such a tough call sometimes. Even if colors match well, that could just represent good color matching of a re-lume.

Dash1 likes this.
  13. Baz9614 Aug 11, 2016

The lume in the hands is usually thinner than the lume on the hour markers, so I think a little variation is acceptable.

14. Baz9614 Aug 11, 2016

Impossible to say that anything is original at this point, unless you have all records from the original owner! With anything 50 years old, you have to A) ensure all parts (movement, dial, case, bezel, hands) are period correct, and B) if you accept it! You have to love it, otherwise find the one! And let someone else enjoy this one.

Dgercp likes this.