Forums Latest Members

1611 "Montreal" Chrono-Quartz (aka Albatross) Query

1. Ken G Apr 22, 2016

Recently I've become much more serious about actually going for one of these, rather than just admiring them. So I've been doing a bit of research in the interests of due diligence, but still have a couple of questions/requests if anyone can possibly help out.

First, the bracelet: my understanding is that this was one of the few watches for which two very similar, but different, bracelets were used within its original run (i.e. not including any later "service" bracelets). The first version being 1277/212 and the second 1300/212. I believe the latter is thinner.

I tried to find comparison pics online, but didn't come up with anything. Can anyone help out with shots? Or does anyone have any comments on the relative merits of each?

My second question is regarding the hands: I've come across some pics with both hands being of the "syringe / needle" variety. But other pics I've seen only have the minute hand of this type.

Can anyone shed any light on this one? Was the non-needle hour hand a service hand or did that appear within the original run? I've seen enough without the needle hour hand to make me think it was the latter...

Anyway, thanks in advance to all the fans of this unique model for any enlightenment!

2. Ken G Apr 22, 2016

An image of the two bracelets can be seen on this page:

http://www.crazywatches.pl/omega-1611-chrono-quartz-montreal-albatros-1975

I'd looked at that site quite a few times before, but somehow missed that shot! It looks like the later bracelet has a more "severe" taper, but that might just be the picture - can anyone confirm? The thickness of the actual links doesn't look to be too different...

Still can't find anything on that needle/syringe hour hand...

3. lillatroll Apr 23, 2016

This particular watch is also on my to buy list. I think all the ones I have looked at have a needle minute hand and a flat hour hand. I have not given any thoughts to the bracelet as I just assumed that it was the same one. This model has quite a short production run so it is hard to fathom that they would produce two bracelets with out a very good reason.

4. webvan Apr 23, 2016

As odd as it may seem there are indeed two "original" bracelets. I'll have to look at my notes for the exact references but the first one was a lot "weightier" if memory serves with thick bar links like the Megaquartz watches.

On the topic of bracelets, both the end piece and extra links use screws so make sure you get one where they are not "jammed". I'd bought a so called NOS one on eBay and the links were unremovable. Come to think of it I wonder if the first hefty bracelet didn't use springs for the extra links, like the MQs.

lillatroll likes this.
  5. Ken G Apr 23, 2016

Thanks for your responses, guys.

I read somewhere online that someone bought one with the second bracelet (the lighter, thinner 1300/212), but swapped it out for the first, heavier version (1277/212). The owner mentioned he preferred the balance of this one. This leads me to believe there wasn't anything fundamentally "wrong" with the first one. Perhaps the feedback from some original owners was that the first bracelet (or the entire watch + bracelet) was a bit on the heavy side...

Anyway, I think I'm now sufficiently convinced that I wouldn't mind either of the bracelets (or indeed either of the hour hands!).

6. Ken G Apr 25, 2016

Well, I pulled the trigger and have this one winging its way to me:

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Includes that old movement, dial, hands etc.

Incredibly, everything inside the case is completely NOS (apparently!) :)

To say I'm excited about receiving this would be something of an understatement!

I'll post my own pics when it arrives - hopefully by the end of the week.

Lou P, ahartfie, lillatroll and 2 others like this.
  7. w154 Apr 25, 2016

ooh ooh ooh !

Is that spare movement working ?

8. Ken G Apr 25, 2016

Not sure, to be honest. Worth having either way, though.

9. webvan Apr 25, 2016

Looks nice! V2 bracelet it seems.

What do you mean by "everything inside the case is NOS"?

10. w154 Apr 25, 2016

11. Ken G Apr 25, 2016

Thanks! Yeah, I eventually figured out it was V2 after scouring the net for pics of the backs of bracelets!

The seller didn't say where or how the movement was located, but said it, the dial, hands etc were completely new. Now I know that parts for this watch, particularly the movement, have not been available for some time, but the seller claimed it was one of the last service movements. I'm therefore assuming it was bought a number of years ago...

12. Ken G Apr 25, 2016

13. watchlovr Apr 25, 2016

Looks like a luminova dial and hands, it will be interesting to see as I had no idea they existed.
    (if indeed I am right)

14. Ken G Apr 25, 2016

Are you inferring that from the brightness of some of the indices relative to the others?

At first I thought it was uneven fading or something, but if you look carefully, there seems to be natural light coming from the side and the "bright" indices are different in the two photographs.

15. Ken G Apr 25, 2016

Forgot to mention - pushers and crown are also new...

16. watchlovr Apr 25, 2016

From the photos, the hands and indices looks very white, more like Luminova than Tritium to me.
    I have Tritium dials, Lumina dials and so called "toothpaste" dials which are Rolex service dials designed to replace tritium dials and do not glow.
    It will be facinating to see which yours is.

17. Ken G Apr 25, 2016

What's the best way for me to determine which of the 3 it is and I'll be sure to let you know?

18. watchlovr Apr 25, 2016

I'm sure the boffins will correct me if I'm wrong here, but I'd:
    1. Check the colour/texture, Tritium is grainy, Luminova and "toothpaste" are whiter and smoother.
    2. Expose to light and check for glow, Tritium might glow for a few seconds, (maybe 20, maybe nothing by now) Luminova will glow a lot
    3. If very white and smooth with no glow it might be the toothpaste type

So we are clear I am not aware of any Omega "Toothpaste" dials, only Rolex at this time.

19. Ken G Apr 25, 2016

Thanks for that - very interesting to know.

I'll be sure to have a close look/do a careful test and report back!

20. watchlovr Apr 25, 2016

Rolex 1665 service dial marked T for Tritium but is actually a non glowing smooth substance;
    1665 Service dial.png