Forums Latest Members
  1. Mick Tock Jul 8, 2014

[​IMG]

One has to grow accustomed to this heavy TV case.

[​IMG]

For me the black dial works much better than the dull blue version.

[​IMG]

Cheers,

Mick

Andsan, Interstatetime, Gavin and 6 others like this.
  2. marturx Jul 8, 2014

I wonder about the weight of the bearer? Or is it a ladies watch we see? ::jumpy::

3. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 8, 2014

Just need to find an 18K version :)

4. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Jul 8, 2014

The black dial one is supposed to be rarer than the proverbial from a rocking horse. I don't know how many they made but it wasn't many.

Mick Tock likes this.
  5. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Jul 8, 2014

Legend has it that 50 black Fernseher were produced. When I look at this watch, the word that comes to mind is "dibs."

6. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Jul 8, 2014

Beat me to it. This is one of two known, of 50 produced, the legendary Mourning Primero. Chris, not seen in these parts for quite some time, has the other.

7. Interstatetime Jul 9, 2014

Mick,

That is a stunning watch. I don't get the whole Dibs thing...but I do know a buyer if you ever become a seller.

JohnCote

8. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Jul 9, 2014

I think JohnCote just said "third dibs."

Interstatetime likes this.
  9. Mick Tock Jul 14, 2014

I had to remove two links from the bracelet. ;)

10. Mick Tock Jul 14, 2014

Hi Stewart,

I know what you mean by this nice term. However, being not an English native speaker, I would not be able to deduce the meaning.

Cheers,

Mick

11. Mick Tock Jul 14, 2014

Hi John,

Well, the normal "dibs" seems to mean "big money", but English is not my first language. Yes, the black one is more expensive than the blue version, which seems to be a bit unloved.

I do not understand the "second dibs" or "third dibs" terms. Maybe someone can enlighten us.

Cheers,

Mick

12. blackwatch wants tickets to the HyperBole. Jul 15, 2014

I don't know what your primary language is but I bet there is a term than means the same as "dibs". If your mum bakes biscuits and you and your brother see them at the same time, the first one to say (scream!) "dibs" get to choose first. If you could re-eat biscuits, you could yell "second dibs" which would mean that after your brother is finished with the biscuit, you are next in line. And so on. Dibs on a watch means that you are adding your name to some mental list so that when the buyer becomes the seller, he will offer it to you first. "Second dibs" means that potential buyer wants to be second on this list, so that he is first if you choose not to buy, or that he goes to the top of YOUR mental sell-to list if you indeed purchase it.

That's my faux-pedantic explanation. As always, I could be wrong. ("Dibs" could mean "I want to marry your sister" in Portuguese for all I know.)

13. blackwatch wants tickets to the HyperBole. Jul 15, 2014

Next I want to address the potential meanings of "161 grams of el primero", which in certain neighborhoods all over the world may not mean what you think it means.

But perhaps you already knew that. :whistling:

Mick Tock and bieb1 like this.
  14. blackwatch wants tickets to the HyperBole. Jul 15, 2014

(Next: see "flogging a dead horse")

I'm copy-posting this from Wikipedia mostly because I'm so amazed that someone went to so much trouble to compile such a list.

In Albania, "e zura" (meaning "I occupied it...").
    In Argentina and Uruguay, the phrase "canté pri" ("pri" being short for "primero"), first one to ask for it, is used with this meaning by children.
    In Austria, the word "geschützt" is used, meaning "protected" (from others) or "kept" (for me). Especially in western Austria, the word "meins" ("it's mine") is also used.
    In Boston, Chicago and Pittsburgh, "dibs" also refers to the practice of holding a shoveled-out parking space after a heavy snowfall by putting chairs, laundry baskets, or other items in the street to mark the claimed space.[1][2]
    In Brazil, the words "primeiro" ("the first one" in Portuguese) "meu", and "minha" ("mine" in Portuguese), are used in the same way.
    In Colombia, the equivalent for dibs would be "me lo pido", which means "I ask for it".
    In Czech Republic, the equivalent for dibs would be "první", which means "first".
    In Denmark, the equivalent for dibs is "Helle",[3] which means "refuge". "Shotgun"[citation needed] and "Dibs"[citation needed] are also used.
    In Finland, the equivalent is "apus" followed by the claimed object, for example "Apus etupenkki!" to claim the front seat.
    In Flanders, (Belgium) there is no direct translation, but "pot!" or "shotgun" are mostly used in the same way. "Dibs" is gaining popularity, especially among young people.
    In European Francophony, the word "prems" or "preums" (shortcut of "premier" which means "first") is commonly used for that. One might say "deuz" (shortcut of "deuxième" which means "second") to claim second on something, if someone has already claimed "preum". Conversely, some people used to say "der" (short for "dernier", meaning "last". "Der" comes from "dix de der", the last round of the "Belote" card game, which gave ten additional points to the winner of this last round).
    In Germany, the equivalent for dibs is "Erster" (meaning "first one") or "meins" (meaning "it's mine").
    In Greece, the word "πρω" (pro), the first syllable of the word "πρώτος" (first), is used.
    In Guatemala, the equivalent for dibs is "Primas" or "Voy Primas", which means "I go first" in colloquial language.
    In Hungary, equivalents for dibs are "stipistop", "stip-stop" and "stipistopi". They come from the English word "stop".
    In Iceland, the equivalent for dibs is "Pant", short for "Ég panta", or "I order" in English. However, the word "Dibs" is used frequently in common speech, especially among young men.[citation needed]
    In Indonesia, Singapore and Malaysia, the equivalent for dibs is "choup", "chop" or simply "chup" in the countries' respective informal Melayu language. The word corresponds to the act of stamping or branding something. In calling "chup", one stakes claim by attempting to be the first to "stamp" one's name on the object.
    In Tamil Nadu, India, the equivalent for dibs is "Amukkam" (meaning "that's frozen").
    In Iran, the equivalent for dibs is "Aval" (meaning "first").
    In Ireland , bagsie is normally used.
    In Israel, both dibs and shotgun are used as in American English. The Hebrew words "ראשון" (first) and "שלי" (mine) and the phrase "אני מזמין" (I order) are also used to call dibs, mostly by children.
    In Italy, the equivalent for dibs is "mio" or "primo", meaning "mine" and "first", respectively. Conversely, "ultimo" (meaning "last", mainly used in children games as last to try or to choose).
    In Kosovo, the equivalent for dibs is "mos e prek - UCK" (meaning don't touch it - KLA), used after the war, meaning I have first claimed it and I am the toughest. It referred to capturing property and possibly livestock of ethnically cleansed Kosovo Serbs, Roma and other non-Albanians (400 000 fled in late 1999), who were forced to leave once NATO stepped in and UCK was able to finally exercise their toughness on civilians and Christian churches and medieval monuments.
    In South Korea, the equivalent for dibs is "찜" (zzim), meaning "I got that".
    In Mexico, the word "pido" (I ask) or "primis" (first) is commonly used by children.
    In Nepal, the equivalent for dibs is "Mero" or "Mine" in English; short for "Tyo mero ho" or "This is mine" in English. This is commonly used among young people.
    In Netherlands the equivalent for dibs is "buut" (nowadays most commonly used during hide-and-seek to call someone who has been found 'out' at the base). The word 'dibs' is gaining popularity over 'buut' in the Netherlands due to the large number of people watching American TV shows.
    In Norway the equivalent for dibs is "fus"[4] (a dialect not used in the West), which means "first". Sometimes the word "fritt", meaning "free", is also used in a situation where you want to claim something. "Dibs" is also used.
    In Peru the equivalent for dibs is "¡primi! (a diminutive for "primero") the first one to ask for it, and is used by children.
    In Poland, the equivalent for dibs is "rezerwuję", "zaklepuję"/"zaklepane" (colloquial) or "zamawiam" (rather childish use) which means "I reserve".
    In Portugal, the equivalent is "primeiros" ("first", literally translated). Some other words may be used depending on the region.
    In Quebec, the equivalent for dibs would be "Shotgun". Shotgun, often shortened to "shot", is also used in other parts of Canada for calling front passenger seat in a car, only while being in sight of the vehicle.
    In Romania, the equivalent is "Stop pe rosu", which means "stop on red".
    In Russian speaking countries, the equivalent is "Чур моё", which means "mind you it's mine", or more recently "Забито" (loosely translated as "claimed").
    In Spain, the equivalent for dibs is "prímer" or "primero" (meaning "first") or "Me pido X/Me lo pido" (meaning "I ask for something/I ask for it").
    In Sweden, the equivalent for dibs is "Pax", which means "peace" in Latin, although "etta vara" and "etta få", which basically means "I call first to be..." and "I call first to have..." (literally "number one to be/have"), are also commonly used. Conversely, one may dib oneself out of a chore not yet assigned by saying "etta inte jag" ("I call first not to be me"). This continues with "tvåa inte jag" ("I call second not to be me") until there is only one person remaining, to whom the chore is then assigned. "Tjing" is used in some places, and the American "Shotgun" and "Dibs" are also used.
    In Switzerland (german side), the equivalent is the phrase "Chopf, Bei, Bode berüehrt", which means "touched head, legs and floor". An alternative to this expression would be "gschobe Schlössli", in English analogous "the key has been put into the lock".
    In Turkey, there is no exact term, but the equivalent is the phrase "O benim hakkim", which means "That's my property". An alternative to this expression would be "kaptim", in English "I got it". You can also use "'benim'" meaning "mine".

In the United Kingdom, Ireland, New Zealand, and Australia, "bags", "tax", "shotgun" or "bagsie" – or variants including "begsie" and "bugsy" – is used for the same effect. Bagsie is most commonly used by children. The Australian use of "shotgun" (or "shotty" for short) as well as calling "jenga" has started to popularize in recent years. Historically, "dibs" has been used through much of the U.K. "Bagsie", or "bags", started out as "Bags I", according to the Oxford English Dictionary, which started giving school-related examples since 1866. Similarly, bag or bags can be used informally as a verb, meaning claim in a phrase like "I'll bag the best seats". This is related to the expression "to bag", meaning "to put something in a bag".
    In Venezuela, the equivalent for dibs is "mío" or "Lo Tengo", which means "mine" or "Gotcha" respectively, but if you want someone to share what you have with you, you have to use the colloquial expression "MITIMITI" which would mean something like "Share with me". The latter comes from a shorthand of "mitad y mitad" which means half and half, implying that something be equally shared.
    In Zambia, the equivalent for dibs is "donki" which means "i choose that" and involves pointing to something you lay claim to.

15. blackwatch wants tickets to the HyperBole. Jul 15, 2014

Just a recommendation for a web site which is all about languages. I personally think it's some kind of CIA front, but it's really interesting anyway.

View attachment 65821

Clipboard01.jpg
  16. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 15, 2014

Damn you're bored haha

17. blackwatch wants tickets to the HyperBole. Jul 15, 2014

At least I made you laugh. I don't care if it's laughing AT or laughing WITH.

Not so much bored as about 161 grams of caffeine in my XXX-espresso on the way to work this morning.

CoffeeCoffeeCoffeeCoffeeCoffeeCoffee

18. Mick Tock Jul 15, 2014

… and I just had the opportunity to use this term rarely seen like a proverbial from a rocking horse on the On The Dash Heuer forum.

Cheers,

Mick

19. Mick Tock Jul 15, 2014

Thanks for this comprehensive education. I stand corrected regarding the (first) dibs.

A message for all dibbers: sorry, the watch is not for sale.

Cheers,

Mick

[​IMG]

20. m neuman What, me worry? Jul 19, 2014

Lou 3 known black ones! DSC00869 (1280x853).jpg

CdnWatchDoc, ELV web, Gavin and 3 others like this.