Forums Latest Members

Omega Stories: Omega Dynamic III & 7 Rare Japan Only Variants You’ve Never Seen

1. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 11, 2022

[​IMG]

There are in total 8 uniquely different dial designs available for the Omega Dynamic III. Oddly enough, only one of those designs, the 5200.50 below, was produced for sale worldwide.

The 7 exotic dials, which are arguably also the most exciting and desirable models were sold in Japan, and while some have leaked out over the years, the majority of them are still in Japan, where they sold for many years into the early 2000s. [..]

Visit Omega Dynamic III & 7 Rare Japan Only Variants You’ve Never Seen to read the full article.

KLXN, Matty01, Scooterino36 and 6 others like this.
  2. RevZMan123 Oct 11, 2022

These are really cool! Thank you for helping empty my wallet, as usual.

3. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 11, 2022

Yea they’re a bit out there and different but I’d really like a broad arrow or the electric blue, both appeal to me in different ways.

Incidentally we’ve now got enough Japan special models to have an index for them which hopefully will be available from the stories homepage before long: https://stories.omegaforums.net/tag/japan-specials/ There are so many more as well, they really did get a lot of brilliant models over the years.

RevZMan123 likes this.
  4. levkov Oct 12, 2022

Great article :thumbsup:
    I was always a huge fan of the Dynamic III, even back when everyone else seemed to be looking down on this piece. I'm a lot into military pieces, especially British, so hardly a surprise there. Immediately saw the 53 connection too.
    Unfortunately too small for my wrist, but seized the opportunity when my little brother turned 30, and snapped one up for him from Italy, as a full set, at a great price. Also in nearly new condition. Man, love the detailing on this watch! Also, thanks to the brushed surfaces, one of the easiest ones to photograph. The lume had this unique dark orange, almost old radium-like patina (perhaps the Italian sun?). I call the hands camo hands. Even though he's not a watch person, luckily i got it right (he loves simple utilitarian design), 6 years on, he still adores it & wears it every day.
    omegadynamicmk3_160.jpg

omegadynamicmk3_050.jpg

omegadynamicmk3_190.jpg

KLXN and Alex Cheers like this.
  5. padders Oooo subtitles! Oct 12, 2022

I'm a big fan of the DYN III, it has been unfairly maligned for years and I am very glad I have a minter put by that I wear only sparingly. The Japanese models shown there range from very desirable to very meh, more or less in the order they are shown on that article in fact but it is good that there is some recognition for them finally. Prices have certainly firmed a lot in the past 5 years or so from a very low start point, what was ~£500 3 years about is now over a grand for a nice one. The problem is many are not nice since they were sold cheap and for much of the time of their existence, service costs were approaching their value which put owners off a quality service. Here is my SL lume model, here shown on the CK2998 19mm Racing strap, personally I like the uniformity of lume colour on the SL ones, but I get why the pumpkin lume appeals too:

FullSizeRender.JPG

RevZMan123 likes this.