Forums Latest Members
  1. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 21, 2012

2. seamonster Respectable Member Oct 21, 2012

Respectable Member dsio

It surprises me, if this is Swiss craftsmanship. Usually, it should read 585 instead of 14KT. Must have been a crude replica, exclusively to be used on a franken or fake Omega.

Thank-you.

3. ulackfocus Oct 21, 2012

Probably is a replica. IIRC, that style with the bumpy center portion of the Ω had a more closed bottom.

4. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 21, 2012

Hmm well that sucks... question is though, how do you actually get hold of an Omega buckle? They must still have them in production surely for vintage restorations among other things. I asked the local AD and they said contact Swatch, then I asked Swatch and they said contact my local AD.

5. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Oct 21, 2012

Doesn't look original to me. Is it even 14k gold?

6. seamonster Respectable Member Oct 21, 2012

Respectable Member dsio

During my younger days, then in the late 60's or early 70's, I serviced all my Omega Seamaster and Constellation watches at the sole agent's sale and service center (Silvaroyal Pte Ltd). When I could not locate any solid gold buckle then, the service manager of Silvaroyal faxed Omega Switzerland and they actually asked one of the manufacturers to hand-make one for me.

As as result of a rogue real estate agent's callous conduct, I lost all those vintage-watches in my collections. I sold my collections to a local dealer and also, close friends. They all did not want the 18k solid gold buckle, thinking it was a fake. I still have it somewhere and when it pops out, one of these days, I shall ask a friend to photograph it and share in this forum.

Of course at then time, Omega did not belong to Swatch and the after sales service was second to none.

The Omega buckle made for me is Breguet-style with a long screw, instead of a spring-loaded pin. If I can still recall correctly, the markings underneath the buckle are hand-etched.

Thank-you.

felsby likes this.
  7. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 21, 2012

Hmm interesting, might be keen to buy it depending on how it looks ;)

8. seamonster Respectable Member Oct 21, 2012

Respectable Member dsio

Hopefully it will jump up, sooner or later.

Thank-you.

9. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 21, 2012

Remember not all Omega buckles came from Switzerland, Many US buckles came from local manufacturing and had several configurations.
    However there are a lot of recently made knockoffs today as well. One West Coast US dealer sells sterling silver buckles, recently made. Many are made in Asia. I look for the older buckles, often sold by sellers of estate material or movements from gold smelters. Buckles that look scratched up and dirty when photographed usually look fine in the hand. They can also be shined up easily with a cloth. Oddly enough the fake buckles are often some the most expensive and look the nicest. By following the buckles on eBay one can get a feel for genuine vs fake. Many of the fakes are rather short between the strap and the logo side and don't fit well when buckled on a strap.

10. Tyrwhitt Oct 21, 2012

11. Sherbie Oct 21, 2012

I,d have liked to have seen all the hallmarks in photos ( the listing now just has one photo which is not showing the hallmarks), but agree, these old 9 ct buckles all seem to be genuine. I have several all from 1950s and 60s, most made by MWF

12. Steve Oct 21, 2012

This is my buckle on my Geneve.

Ebay 030.jpg

13. Sherbie Oct 21, 2012

What date is that please. Some of the buckles have the hallmarks as you have shown (i,ve also got a more rounded buckle from 1958 one with a tang hallmarked)

and some are on the side of the buckle like this one more squarer shaped buckle from the 60s

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
  14. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Oct 21, 2012

The buckle in the original posting was not made by Omega. It may or may not be 14K gold, you would have to test it.

The UK made gold buckles are nice and all are properly hallmarked. That's why they generally go for a premium, even if 9K.

US made gold buckles don't have the Omega logo on the top, but are hallmarked. Steel and plated buckles might have the logo, but no hallmarking.

The majority of buckles for sale on eBay are fakes, be very careful.

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

15. Steve Oct 22, 2012

Hi, The watch is dated 1954, so I imagine the buckle to be of a similar age.

16. seamonster Respectable Member Oct 23, 2012

Respectable Member dsio

I have managed to locate the buckle plus the leather-band that came with it, which I was talking about. It is the only reminder of the collections I had, at one time. It is of great sentimental value to me, though $-wise, it may be just slightly above scrap gold.

A friend has helped me to take some pictures of the buckle but I am not able to up-load it - it is not the machine's fault but I have to admit, I am not computer-savvy. Is there any chance, I can email the pictures to you, so that we can share them with others, here?

Thank-you.

17. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 23, 2012

Yea not a problem

18. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 24, 2012

Pics of the buckle, looks nice

4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg 7.jpg 8.jpg 9.jpg 1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg

rewtare and felsby like this.
  19. seamonster Respectable Member Oct 24, 2012

felsby likes this.
  20. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 24, 2012

Fantastic buckle respectable Seamonster :thumbsup:. The strap, not so much :D