Forums Latest Members

14K gold case Omega Constellation watch, 551 automatic

1. rslev Jan 13, 2021

Hi All,

I'm new to collecting vintage Omegas so I was hoping to get an education/help from members of the forum. I know a seller that has several vintage Omegas and I'll start a thread for each one I am potentially interested in. This is the third one. Attached are some pics that are available and below is the information the seller has provided. Does this raise any red flags for anyone? And if this seems legit, what would be a fair price to offer (please be sincere in this feedback - I want to offer the seller a realistic price but one that is not unfair to me). Thanks!

Info:
    14K gold Omega Constellation watch, cal. 551 automatic movement , beautiful octagonal dial Omega 551 movement L.jpg Omega551-1L.jpg Omega551-2L.jpg Omega551-3L.jpg Omega551-4L.jpg Omega551-5L.jpg Omega551-6L.jpg
    • 14K gold shell, vortex bottom engraved with the symbol of the observatory very sharp, the shell symbol 14900SC, with the 14K gold stamp inside the bottom and top, the shell is very beautiful and sharp, with the waterproof rubber pad ;
    • original 551 automatic machine, 24 jewels, correctly adjusted at 5 different positions and temperatures, 20 million series (produced circa 1963), very new and clean;
    • the original dial is silvery white with 5 lines of text, flawless beauty;
    • Original needle set, crown, mica glasses with Omega logo.
    The watch has a beautiful look and form (better than the photo attached, the specks on the accompanying picture are due to lighting effects), original and genuine (excluding the strap and buckle ), is running stable and on time.

Edited Jan 13, 2021
  2. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Jan 13, 2021

Looks ok to me except the crown, needs more pic on that.
    Forum polishing police may come and comments on the case, I think.

3. rslev Jan 13, 2021

Thanks! Any ideas on a fair price to offer on such a piece (even a ballpark is Ok as I have no clue where to start)?

4. arkman Jan 13, 2021

Also looks ok to me, though, with the exception of the medallion, the polishing has been done with a heavy hand. In terms of price, is it a private sale or from a brick and mortar shop? Also, is there a service history?

5. rslev Jan 13, 2021

Not sure of the service history (let's assume nothing recent). And yes, it's from a private seller. All the watches I started threads on today (7 vintage Omegas) are from the same seller. He's liquidating his collection as he told me he wants to move on to other projects.

6. arkman Jan 13, 2021

Looking at all of the watches you posted, I guarantee the seller has an idea of what their worth. You may very well get a fair price, but not a bargain. I would suggest you figure out which of these watches speaks to you the most and find out what the seller is asking for that one. Once we have that information, the forum will be able to give you a better idea if the asking price is fair.

cristos71 likes this.
  7. rslev Jan 13, 2021

Yep - good plan of action. I have asked him what he is looking for for each watch but have yet to hear back. I've dealt with him before on a non-Omega watch and unfortunately this is his MO - very slow response and I have to name a price before he responds. I was OK with the watch I bought because I had a good idea what it was worth, but I'm much more naive when it comes to vintage Omegas. Anyway we'll see how it goes and I'll report back. Thanks!

8. cristos71 Jan 13, 2021

Agreed here, if the owner is offering the watches to the OP for sale then he should come with a price first, and the other way around applies too, if the OP is approaching the owner out of the blue looking to buy a watch from a collector's collection then he should come with an offer first.

And as for a good price a good price for a buyer is as cheap as possible and for a seller as high as possible. Two completely different 'good prices'. The reason I think it's hard for members to put a 'good price' on a watch is that most of us probably have one of these in our collection and we also buy and sell making both 'good prices' as important and valid as the other.

Anyway, I'd say if the OP manages to buy @ €1500-1700 un-serviced from a collector then he's done OK. The polish will hold it back IMHO and it is 14K and not 18K