Forums Latest Members

Omega Stories: Japanese Shibui - The Geneve 166.721

1. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 1, 2022

[​IMG]

“I remember the first time I held one of these in a restaurant and how impressed I was with it in the metal. I kept rotating the watch as if panning for gold under the dim downlights, watching the light and shadows dance on the polished, cheese wedge shaped hour markers as the brushed dial changed tone and texture in the background.” [..]

Visit Japanese Shibui - The Geneve 166.721 to read the full article.

2. krogerfoot Sep 1, 2022

Excellent article; I am now in the market for a watch I had not previously heard of ten minutes ago.

I was wondering if you were going to explain the evocative title—did I miss that? Shibui is an apt description.

Edited Sep 1, 2022
    Spruce and dsio like this.
  3. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 1, 2022

I sort of left out the definition of Shibui because it requires a bit of an imprecise explanation due to there being no direct English translation.

My understanding of it is something that is both simple and elegant on the surface, while simultaneously containing detail and complexity beneath. The dial in particular really stands out as an example of that as it looks simple, a one colour dial and metal markers. But then when you examine closely, the metallic brushing and the 3d depth of the applied markers and how they match and interact with the hands really stand out and you realise how much love went into it.

I really appreciate your comment about being keen on one, I like digging through these near unknown yet interesting Omegas but they’re not popular or frequently searched for so when I do these it limits the readership a bit. I write about what I like and enjoy though so I’ll probably keep touching on these unusual and unknown ones.

Matty01, krogerfoot and janice&fred like this.
  4. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 1, 2022

5. krogerfoot Sep 1, 2022

Yes, soon after I started thinking about how I would have worked an explanation into the article, I came to a similar conclusion. It is hard to explain this term of praise, which the dictionary defines as “astringent,” but your gloss captures the nuance behind it. Something like “understated but cool; more to it than meets the eye at first.”

I should hope people would want to read more about things they’re not already familiar with. I certainly appreciate that you shared this.

The way JPY has been sinking in value should make buying from Japan very attractive. This one on Yahoo! Auctions is only available in Japan, but at current rates it’s about $650 US.
    https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/s1060491483
    13B5AC91-ABBB-41A9-902B-FB14D1C86CBF.jpeg
    A few dings on the case but a nice and unusual-looking watch for the right person.

Spruce likes this.
  6. Matty01 Port Adelaide's No.1 Fan Sep 3, 2022

I suspect I need one of these- alternately another of the Genève oddities which I love (just not a redial like the one pictured)

E39A75B2-C194-4E4B-A4D0-2D73459BFE7D.jpeg
  7. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 3, 2022

I have a list of models I’ll be covering and this chronostop Geneve is on it but with a good number in front of it. Its a pretty cool piece and better looking than any of the other Chronostops IMO.

Matty01 likes this.
  8. Matty01 Port Adelaide's No.1 Fan Sep 3, 2022

I had the one pictured but in the end let it go because it was a redial- keen to replace it this year at some point- really love this particular model but have no interest at all in the other variants

9. SWmania Oct 28, 2022

Hi, wanted to say huge thanks, was able to snatch up this beauty today.
    From famous japanese seller closer0924.
    Will post pictures when this one arrives. perhaps in a separate post.

hope the spot near the 2 o'clock can be rectified, or not as noticable as in the second photo, but it really does not matter as the price was quite cheap.

also, will obviously be fixing the crown.

Was a long time reader and collector, first time writing. looking forward to sharing more.

KakaoTalk_20221029_015319165.jpg s-l1600.jpg
  10. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 28, 2022

Nice mate, I don’t think there’s much you can do about the spot on the dial but its minor, the blue just sometimes flakes or scratches off like that. It should be a very pretty watch after the crown is sorted, look forward to seeing you post some pics of it!

SWmania likes this.