Forums Latest Members

Omega Stories: The Best Omega Under $3000

1. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 23, 2022

[​IMG]

It's the Seamaster Pro 300M Diver. I'll save you the trouble of reading if you'd like to skip and just say that specifically, its the 3rd generation Seamaster Pro 300M Diver in steel with either blue (Ref 212.30.41.20.03.001) or black (Ref 212.30.41.20.01.003) dials. [..]

Visit The Best Omega Under $3000 to read the full article.

goudaville, gmmy775, Varasc and 19 others like this.
  2. Jones in LA Isofrane hoarder. Aug 23, 2022

True, dat.

3. fiberguy Aug 23, 2022

Good read, not sure this is correct though "the minute hand and bezel pip glowing a bright green for quick reference while the hour hand, seconds hand and hour markers all glow bright green"

4. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 23, 2022

Thanks for the spot, fixed the typo!

fiberguy likes this.
  5. gbesq Aug 23, 2022

Yep. Love mine. It’s a lot of watch for the money and maybe the nicest looking diver available.
    09515DE4-9D15-4125-9EDF-9AC6C0120734.jpeg
    24AC9C68-9BFE-4C2A-B056-296C6C17C78B.jpeg

Turpinr, Time2WatchOut and flw like this.
  6. flw history nerd Aug 23, 2022

I couldn't agree more. My first modern Omega, I'm wearing it right now, and I'll never part with it.

Edit: I just finished reading the full review, and I completely agree. I had mine serviced about six years after I bought it (it was running a bit rough), and it's been brilliant. One of the most reliable and rugged watches I own, and my first choice if I were to go camping or otherwise into rough environments.
    20220823_182431.jpg

Edited Aug 23, 2022
    Turpinr and maximus123 like this.
  7. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 24, 2022

Turpinr likes this.
  8. Scarecrow Boat Burt Macklin, FBI Aug 24, 2022

I was following that one but couldn’t justify going after it as I have the 2531.80 reference

59B54C10-63CE-4D79-B113-3B51966D728B.jpeg

But curse you for making me want to trade this in for the blue ceramic version. I watched the review video several years ago and this article bringing it up again, the depth of the dial, and the logo floating on still water did it for me. Now I want it haha

Turpinr, perks713 and Scooterino36 like this.
  9. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 24, 2022

See in fairness you have one of the nicest examples of a 2531.80 I’ve seen in a while. I might even borrow that image and add it to the article if that’s ok. The big issue buying is that the vast, vast majority of 2531.80s and 2220.80s have either a damaged bezel insert with at least one scratch or some fading, or a fake one.

While I was digging I noticed this interesting disparity with how every used Seamaster Pro on the open market from a private seller has a marked up / faded / scratched bezel, which as we know is costly to replace. But then there are many dealers that sell exclusively perfect bezel Seamasters at prices that don’t reflect the ~$500 cost of replacement from Omega.

The reason I believe is this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/170680952769Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

they’re doing a roaring trade with thousands sold, just this one listing has this many sold.

CDCF6C00-2410-4CF2-AF2D-F438A1BAB12F.jpeg

So I feel it’s safe to assume that the ones that do have perfect bezels on the secondary market are likely to be fake and potentially have issues / fall out etc over time.

That is what pushes me to really say it’s best to give those a miss for the ceramic if you get the option.

Safe queen examples like yours would be the exception of course.

Turpinr, Redwes25 and Scarecrow Boat like this.
  10. Scarecrow Boat Burt Macklin, FBI Aug 24, 2022

Yeah, of course you can use the image if you’d like. I actually purchased this from another member who had it serviced by Omega prior to the sale, which is why it looks clean. Give it plenty of time and I know the bezel will fade and look worn. I’m both on the Spectrum and have ADD, and for me, the HE valve and rotating the bezel bring comfort (tactile feel of the sturdy click) and help keep me focused. So, I know in time they will fade. Despite that, this is a daily wear for me outside of the occasional rotation. Usually I wear it on an aftermarket rubber strap but just recently changed it back to the bracelet to mix it up a bit.
    7AF2EBE0-6F35-47DA-9153-7A2EB1D953AE.jpeg

Turpinr and Scooterino36 like this.
  11. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 24, 2022

Yea I have pretty bad ADHD and have been on meds for it since I was a kid and I know exactly what you mean, I’d fiddle with the HEV endlessly on my 2225.80. It’s always been funny to me reading threads where people talk about how they remember to wind their Speedy Pro or set a reminder to do it in the mornings because throughout the day, in meetings, while listening to others speak, etc I’ll be winding it a few clicks at a time such that it never goes beneath about 98% wound unless I’m DEEPLY engrossed in something interesting.

Scarecrow Boat likes this.
  12. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 26, 2022

Added this photo btw thanks again

Scarecrow Boat likes this.
  13. Scarecrow Boat Burt Macklin, FBI Aug 26, 2022

Of course! It is neat that it ended up in a story :) And yeah, when I wear my Speedmaster, I don't need reminding to wind it. It is part of my morning routine at that point but even then unnecessary because like you, when I am working or reading I find myself slowly winding the crown a few clicks at a time.

14. mydeafcat Aug 26, 2022

A great read - thank you. I never fully appreciated this model, as I've been a committed 2254 adherent since I bought mine in 2008. Thankfully, neither the bezel nor red tip have faded in the slightest. Must be the 9 months of gray skies here on the West Coast :D.

Keep up the fine work. Loving this.

jB1128 likes this.
  15. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Aug 26, 2022

You can still get a 1997-1999 Speedmaster for that amount :whistling:

16. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 26, 2022

There are some rough older Speedmasters that fall into the sub-3000 bracket but it’s a quite rare thing and they tend to have a lot wrong with them. Right now on chrono24 the cheapest 3590.50 is $3257 while the cheapest 3570.50 is $3105.

The last couple I’ve seen go on eBay that low had some serious condition issues, so you’re almost certainly looking at a bad example or a head only.

The ceramic SMP is a high point of its breed while the late 90s Moonwatch is really the low point of the Moonwatch with a fairly ordinary bracelet and not a whole lot going for it.

I’d also say that as a first watch most people are going to want something with high water resistance, durability, accuracy and an automatic, which is why I strongly recommend people go in this direction unless they already have some attraction to the Moonwatch and it’s history.

As a second watch I think the Speedy compliments the SMP very well and that’s more what I would do as they make an excellent two-watch pair.

The Speedmaster is a great watch but it has a much narrower appeal and skill set in general is the thing. Sometimes as Speedmaster fans we can be blind to that.

Dash1 and lindo like this.
  17. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Aug 26, 2022

Years back, if it wasn't a Connie (pp delux stepped 18k w bracelet) or a Speedy, you were sent to your own room.
    You could pick up a nice naiad, art deco or art nouveau for $300 US.
    Hasn't changed a bunch but the Connies have fallen behind and the divers have picked up.

Watch the changes in the surf and pick your wave.

Tire-comedon likes this.
  18. lindo Aug 26, 2022

Your comment resonated particularly well with me - after building a collection of vintage Constellations, Seamasters and some other classic types over many years, I decided three years ago I needed a really nice example of a new Omega. The SMP ceramic rang my bells for all sorts of reasons.

IMG_0129.JPG

A few months later I added a new Speedmaster with the 1863 movement. The whole big box deal was appealing, especially as at that time the local Omega AD was offering fantastic discounts.

IMG_0005.JPG

They are very different watches and I love them both - so I heartily endorse your suggestion on owning one of each!

Of course we are now drifting well away from the 'Best Omegas under $3000' topic but hell, I am 76 years old and should be allowed to drift at times.

I still derive daily pleasure from my vintage pieces, so it is not a matter of either/or. One of the great joys of our collecting is that we all keep finding new areas of interest - quite often prompted by the wide range of threads on OF.

19. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 27, 2022

Yea the third watch I would suggest after the Seamaster Pro 300M and the Moonwatch is a Constellation of some variety from the 50s or 60s. At that point you’ve got something very dressy, something vintage, something very water resistant, something very durable, a chronograph, something manual wind, and an option for any occasion.

Having that really waterproof option is particularly nice though, and while you can get a vintage watch to be water resistant like my 1680 Sub which passes every time… the dial is irreplaceable and you really want to have one watch you just don‘ t ever have to worry about if you’re on a boat, or at the beach or just attending a wedding in torrential rain which seems to happen a lot to me lately.

perks713 and lindo like this.
  20. perks713 Aug 28, 2022

This is on my list of must owns. I’ve been watching the prices steadily increase (much to my dismay) while being unable to drop the money for one. I really need to sell some of the ‘just okay’ watches I have to start funding the 2531.80 coffer.