Forums Latest Members
  1. mikeschmidt69 Aug 8, 2015

Hi (first post),
    I recently purchased the Constellation pictured from a local watch store which sells quite a few vintage watches, is [EDIT: NOT] an Omega AD and has a watch smith for servicing. I did not do enough research before the purchase, did not look at the movement and was told the watch should be serviced.

I realise (now) this is a popular version for counterfeiters. Now that I own the watch I checked all the items to look for and I am confident this is legit (please be gentle if I am wrong).

Again, I screwed up when I left the watch for servicing and gave no guidance what I wanted done. The watch smith replaced the hands, crystal and crown (I still have the originals) with authentic Omega parts. I was upset that the crown was replaced as the replacement was not the correct style. The watch smith stated that Omega doesn't manufacture the original crown anymore and the crown should be replaced to maintain water resistance. He then offered to return the original crown. Even though I don't ever plan to get the watch wet I decided to leave the new crown as I don't want to ruin the movement from moisture entering through the crown. Besides, I have the original which can always be restored. I'm still conflicted as I really liked the unique look of the original crown. Which crown would you have left installed?

The bigger issue is the watch smith stated my watch has the 551 calibre movement (which is correct) but one piece is marked 556; I don't know which part. He stated that with these old watches sometimes spares are used from other movements if replacements can't be found. The watch runs great but I'm thinking of spending money next time it needs servicing to get the correct part restored (if possible). What would you do? How much does it devalue the watch having a part from another calibre?

WP_20150808_23_34_12_Pro.jpg WP_20150808_23_37_44_Pro.jpg
    Edited Aug 9, 2015
    nori likes this.
  2. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Aug 8, 2015

Nothing wrong with using the new crown. You've kept the original one, that's good.

Rest of the watch looks good from the outside. Dial looks as it should. Not sure what the "556" means. Should be a cal. 551. No pictures make it impossible to comment on that.

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

3. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Aug 8, 2015

lovely looking watch -congratulations on your new Constellation and welcome to the forum

the 'do you don't you' debate about crowns will run for as long as folks collect vintage watches

it's better for the watch to replace it but looks better and more original if you don't
    -you have the original so if you wanted to sell you have best of both worlds

what Gartocpa means is that there is no cal 556
    -so a mis-read by your watch maker

but it is known that pieces from non-chronometer movements from the same series have been used in the past during services instead of the correct piece.
    -yes it reduces the value for collectors who like originality (but I'm not sure by how much)

finding a replacement 'correct' piece might be a bit difficult -it would probably mean you buying a donor watch/movement and cannibalising it

read Desmond's excellent essays on movements (and all other things Constellation)

http://omega-constellation-collectors.blogspot.co.uk

4. Mothra Aug 9, 2015

I'm guessing its got the bridge from a 565 in it...

5. mikeschmidt69 Aug 9, 2015

Desmond has a great site. I was using his material to check the dial and case which gave me confidence the watch was OK but I am going through a rollercoaster of opinions the more I investigate this. I opened the case back and added some pictures. I was reluctant before as I don't have proper tools and didn't want to scratch the case but Blu-Tack works great.

I was wrong in my earlier post, from the pictures you can see calibre 565 is shown (on the train bridge?). I blurred the serial # in the 34mil range.

I was reading this post which again gave me hope and concern.
    http://omega-constellation-collectors.blogspot.fi/2007/03/omega-constellation-calibres.html

It is stated that 33mil serial # would be from around 1971 so mine would be later but I understood the case back 14900 would indicate the watch is from the 60s. Someone in the discussion also say they have a certificate from Omega that their 565 is authentic.

There also comments in a few places that if the rotor bridge says it's adjusted then probably the train bridge with the cal number has been substituted.

My best guess which seems far fetched:
    * the watch started from the 60s with a 551 calibre and 14900 case back
    * at some point in the 70s the 551 movement was swapped for 565 thus 34mil serial #
    * later, for some reason the rotor bridge was swapped from 565

Alternative guess: someone pieced together a frankenwatch and I didn't do needed research before buying

What would be the reason to swap a rotor bridge?

WP_20150809_09_03_14_Pro.jpg WP_20150809_09_05_13_Pro.jpg WP_20150809_09_08_11_Pro.jpg
  6. TNTwatch Aug 9, 2015

Rotor bridge is not swapped. It's the train bridge with both the calibre and serial numbers on it that's been swapped. Reason seems weird and dubious, since the rest of the movement looks in good condition while the wrong bridge is worse.

The 551 is less common so finding a replacement is not easy or cheap, and when you've found one, it's still never gonna have the original serial number. Is it possible to return it?

Chai likes this.
  7. mikeschmidt69 Aug 9, 2015

Thanks for the clarification on the train vs. rotor bridges. I will try to return it (maybe even for store credit). I just checked the original listing (http://www.kalevankello.fi/tuote/omega-231-rk/) which shows the 565 calibre.

Edited Aug 9, 2015
  8. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Aug 9, 2015

Well -because of the listing -you have a good excuse to return the watch as there is no such thing as a Constellation Chronometer with a cal 565 movement
    the 565 wasn't chronometer rated

Chai likes this.
  9. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 9, 2015

The case actually looks quite good, what did you pay for it I guess is the biggest question, if it was reasonable I'd enjoy it with the 565 bridge, if it was a lot I'd be a bit more annoyed.

10. cristos71 Aug 9, 2015

The watch should have a non date cal 551 Chronometer and actually has a mongrel non date 551/565 bodge job. The 565 was a non chronometer with a date.

Return!

Chai and JohnSteed like this.
  11. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Aug 9, 2015

Looks like a watch from China or Viet Nam

12. Pvt-Public Aug 9, 2015

Does he have "watch smithing" tools like these?
    blacksmith.jpg
    Sorry, I just couldn't help myself. :whistling:

13. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Aug 9, 2015

Counterfeit case and dial and re-engraved rotor bridge.

Look at the difference in the depth and font of the engraving of the original jewel count engraving vs the ADDED adjustments engraving. I actually purchased one of these years ago, its a lot of work to make a fake. They had actually re-engraved the caliber on the one I purchased as well.

Return it.

14. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 9, 2015

Explains why the edges are so sharp... certainly not something you want to have on your hands

15. ChrisN Aug 9, 2015

Terrific spot. This is a hell of fake though and I wonder what gave the dial away?

To the OP, this is very disheartening and I hope you get your money returned. Here is a close up of my 63 Constellation, not exactly the same as yours but, does yours have the flat tops on the I, for example? I also wonder if the way your G and A in OMEGA are joined are a giveaway as mine has a wider leg to join them. Just building knowledge here.
    168.005 text.jpg
    Apologies for the poor lighting but there is no natural light left here.

Good luck, Chris

KingCrouchy likes this.
  16. TNTwatch Aug 9, 2015

Good eyes, Hoi and Norm! I never thought an AD would sell a fake...::screwloose::::puke::

17. TNTwatch Aug 9, 2015

The first t in Constellation and the star would do that. The case's bevels are wrong also, along with the case back's engravings which gave me pause for a second or so, but I really never heard of a fake from an AD...::facepalm2::::facepalm1::

ChrisN likes this.
  18. mikeschmidt69 Aug 9, 2015

I mis-spoke, the store is not an Omega AD. I'm not sure how I came to that wrong conclusion.

Thanks for everyone's help. I think I have amassed enough to ask for my money back. I will let you know.

Below is also a close-up of the text which shows no fluting of the letters.

I'm not sure if this is definitive but I noticed that the grey gears are shinny and possibly have linear grain (hard to get good pictures without a macro lens) but when I search for pictures of the 551, 565 movements they all have radial grain on these gears.

DSC_1494.jpg
  19. ChrisN Aug 9, 2015

As TNT says above, the T in Constellation is also clearly wrong. I just looked at a couple of mine and it is obvious (now I know...).

Good luck, Chris.

20. mikeschmidt69 Aug 9, 2015

I took a closer look, here is a better picture showing it is not right.

DSC_1483.jpg