Forums Latest Members
  1. dougckelly May 13, 2017

hi all,

I started searching for a topic on this but haven't found it yet. Pictured is the caseback of a recent acquisition, a 145.022 st 71 in mint condition. I've ordered the extract from omega but it's not turned up yet.

In question is the blacked, filled in section around the seahorse. Has anyone see this before? At first i thought someone had coloured it in however on close inspection it appears to be a coating like pvd. There is a small tear where it's coming off also.

Any thoughts are welcome. Cheers
    Doug

IMG_3577.JPG
  2. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. May 13, 2017

Pvd is like 5 atoms thick or something ridiculous like that. Plus it's on the whole piece PVD can't be partially applied

My guess is someone painted it.

dougckelly likes this.
  3. dougckelly May 13, 2017

That was my thinking too. Thus far anyway.

4. Amaza May 14, 2017

It seems like the writings may have been retouched as well. Probably at that time the horse background may have been filled-up. Do other parts of the watch seem retouched?

dougckelly likes this.
  5. dougckelly May 14, 2017

The watch is virtually NOS, which fits the story from the dealer. its untouched in every other way and appears to have been worn very sparingly. The outer text is convinceingly original. Seems odd someone would paint the centre like that but keep the rest of the watch so perfect. Very odd, but certainly plausible.

IMG_3584.PNG IMG_3586.PNG
  6. Davidt May 14, 2017

Although it appears to be in good condition, it's no where near NOS. Look at the dirt around the pushers, crown and case back notches, along with wear on the underside of the lugs where the end links have worn. This is a nice looking watch but it's been worn significantly.

Regarding the black, I would guess that someone's used a black polish/paint to cover the case back to refill the writing and ended up getting it I the recesses of the hippocampus, which they then couldn't easily remove, so left it there.

Spacefruit likes this.
  7. blufinz52 Hears dead people, not watch rotors. May 14, 2017

Except there is no black material, whatever it is, in the ring surrounding the recesses of the hippocampus. The application of the black may have been to done to highlight/accentuate the hippocampus.

8. Davidt May 14, 2017

True. Maybe they got it out with a tooth pic, or like you say, purposely targeted the hippocampus. Either way, I don't think it's a huge issue. Just something a previous owner or dealer has done, rather than from the factory.

9. dougckelly May 14, 2017

Hmm, potentially. Im pretty sure the writing is original, the centre really does look aftermarket painted. Not sure i see any dirt near the pushers? I can see the bracelet markings, it had the original 1171 /663 bracelet attached when i bought it. The photos don't represent the cases sharpness

10. dougckelly May 14, 2017

Also the first image has fingerprints and dust