Forums Latest Members
  1. Steve1haggart Mar 17, 2015

I put my beloved Speedmaster in for an overhaul back in December to STS we are now Half way through April ,my question is how long should this service normally take ? I've forgoten what she look like can wait to have her back .
    Thanks

2. ketiljo Mar 17, 2015

I guess the only ones that knows for sure is STS. Have you asked?

3. Norfolk Mar 17, 2015

I'd be interested to learn of wait time as have a few to send.

4. Davidt Mar 17, 2015

I sent one of mine in in dec and got it back early feb. Sent another in last week and was told around 30 days.

5. Giff2577 Quick with the tools! Mar 17, 2015

I think you need to send in your Triple Date for a service...it's running a month fast ;)

Spacefruit and dougiedude like this.
  6. Steve1haggart Mar 18, 2015

My apologises for the April it is indeed only March ,

The official line I got from STS .
    : Further to our telephone call earlier this week I have checked the status of your Omega watch this morning, unfortunately the watch has failed QC & has been passed back to the watchmaker for adjustment. On testing the timekeeping meets specification, however when the chronograph function is engaged and running the watch is stopping after a short interval.: this email was dated 5/3
    Surely it can't take this long to carry out adjustments ..will keep you posted on the out come .

7. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 18, 2015

Just a few things that might help...not sure but I'll try.

First, servicing a specific model of watch can vary in time greatly depending on condition and how much it has been messed with by people who don't know what they are doing over the years. So although there is an average or "typical" time for servicing a Speedmaster, that does not mean every watch will take that long. Sometimes servicing goes quickly, and sometimes not.

Second, I have no idea how STS runs their shop, but in most places the vast majority of time the watch spends there is spent sitting, waiting for it's turn to be worked on. Remember you are in a queue - the only time a watch would typically be started on the moment it arrives (in other words it would jump the queue) is if it has had water inside, and then time is very critical to prevent further damage.

Lastly, sometimes troubleshooting takes time to do, and more importantly, time to verify. Again I have no idea how STS does these things, but I test watches quite extensively after I have serviced them and they are fully assembled. For example my timing and power reserve checks typically take 10 days to complete at a minimum. Would you rather they rush it and it has to go back to you for the same or another problem? Likely not.

I have zero experience with STS, but by most accounts I have seen they are competent, so let them do the job and do it right.

Cheers, Al

Temiyasen and dennisthemenace like this.
  8. Steve1haggart Mar 18, 2015

Hi Al,
    Doing the job I don't have a problem with i would far rather the job was done rite than not at all my question was what would be considered and average time to service this movment given that it went in for a servise on the 3/12/2015 .
    I have used STS many times as I can say there work it to the highest standered before this I was getting a service turn around with in 3-4 week on average,for some reason on this occasion we are looking at 20 plus week .

Thanks Steve

9. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 18, 2015

Because again - average is just that - average. It does not mean every watch will be completed in that time frame...