Forums Latest Members
  1. turbotuff Aug 15, 2018

Delete

Edited Jun 16, 2019
  2. kov Trüffelschwein. Aug 15, 2018

Hello and welcome.

Generally speaking I am a "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten." guy. That scuff is the thing that would attract my eye again and again.... so, no, personally I wouldn't buy this watch to wear it myself. Only my $0.02.

But maybe you have other plans for it ? What do you think ?

89-0, Toishome, cristos71 and 6 others like this.
  3. Davidt Aug 15, 2018

Depends entirely on what you paid as the case is polished and that dial would certainly bother me.

Then again, if the price took this into account, you have a great daily wearer that is quite attractive and doesn’t need to be molly coddled.

4. bags1971 Aug 15, 2018

Case looks like it’s heavily polished depends if you can live with the scratch

5. turbotuff Aug 15, 2018

To me, the watch has survived being all original for almost 50 years, I feel it would be a bit of a shame to repaint the dial or put non-original parts on it.
    Maybe the lighting of the studio is throwing it off. What's giving you that impression?

6. bags1971 Aug 15, 2018

Picture 5

Compare the picture to a unpolished case

Ie post about birth year nos just landed

7. turbotuff Aug 15, 2018

This watch is definitely not NOS and I'm sure it's been polished at some point. Not sure if I'd say "heavily" polished but I know the studio photos are washing out the details.

8. jimmyd13 Aug 15, 2018

It's amazing how many bezels get scratched just above the 90.

Dials come in three forms: perfect; aged, with great patina; or, damaged. The line between patina and damage is often blurred, but that one is certainly damaged. Now, what matters is your mindset in buying it. I see a prepped watch there. It's been polished, the bezel marked to give a certain impression, the dial looks scrubbed with most of the lume removed (what's left gives the impression that it was a pretty unattractive colour originally) ... and so on.

It's one I would have easily passed on but back to that mindset: if you bought it to wear in any conditions, then I wouldn't worry about it in the least.

9. Davidt Aug 15, 2018

The case has been polished significantly.

Not a deal breaker but considering the scratch on the dial, it isn’t a watch that would have collectors in a frenzy. Again, as a daily wearer it’s fine.

10. boogedyboo Aug 15, 2018

Since you already bought the watch and you have not disclosed the price you paid, it is really difficult for us to judge.

Like you said, the scuff is only visible in certain lighting conditions if you can live with it. I think repainting the dial would make it worse.

11. time flies Aug 15, 2018

Leave it as is. Wear it. Don't worry about it.

have fun
    kfw

12. rob#1 Aug 15, 2018

Overall I think it looks fine, it’s not perfect but then it’s 48 years old, and the scuff makes it unique. Wear it & enjoy it

turbotuff likes this.
  13. hansmaulwurf Senior Snoopy Owner Aug 15, 2018

"There are girls which look sweet just because they hav a birthmark somewhere … "

...Keep that in mind when you look at this original speedy with ist patina :cool:

14. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Aug 15, 2018

It’s an old tool watch. I think it looks fine.

warrydog, murph and Paedipod like this.
  15. BatDad Aug 15, 2018

I agree - as a daily wearer - enjoy it every time you put it on - if it begins to bother you, then perhaps you'll start looking for your next one.... and then welcome to the ever ongoing hunt!!

16. cimo Aug 15, 2018

Your price is well below market value. That said, the dial is the most finicky part of a watch. They are notoriously difficult to restore tastefully, and then there is the issue of whether any restoration would be detrimental to its collector value.

I can put up with a lot in the name of a fair price, but I am picky when it comes to the dial. That said, you got a steal and upgrading would probably not cost you any more than your initial investment.

turbotuff likes this.
  17. chipsotoole Aug 17, 2018

+1
    As a daily wearer (I wouldn't use the word beater with such a revered watch) I could certainly live with it. As a manic collector/investor perhaps less so...

18. Mossback Aug 17, 2018

Turbotoff, you pictures made me cringe make a face and recoil at the same time. Due to my advanced age I think I may have injured myself! ::screwloose::

Back on topic, love the watch and the fact you are using and enjoying it daily. I'm a machinist by trade often wear my more modest watch while I work when it's safe to do so.

19. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Aug 17, 2018

No....just no. I’d have a Timex on my wrist for that.

20. chipsotoole Aug 17, 2018

Worse things happen in Space. A revision every couple of years and you’re good to go! Perhaps we should start a picture thread “ inappropriate times to wear vintage watches” . I’m sure a bit of plaster dust would be the least of it!