Forums Latest Members

145.022.69st Something didn't feel/smell right to me here on this eBay listing...am I correct?

1. justintime Dec 25, 2013

Hi all

I don't mean to cast aspersions on any legitimate sellers but I am interested to get opinions please

I saw this listed and in my possible naivety was interested and put a bid in then stopped bidding for the following reasons

I started to look into the seller with lots of the same Tiffany silver (easily faked) and they also were in a dodgy area of NY and also didn't respond to any questions

The watch seemed too clean and no good pics and no pics of the movement

So I stopped bidding then from what I can see they outbid me themselves ( then canceled the transaction ) so they could relist the watch higher ( see the realist) assuming there are others that could be "duped" at more money?

Am I thinking along the right lines you think? If so how do they get away with this?

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=201006029636&globalID=EBAY-USPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

Thanks and Regards

Justintime

2. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 25, 2013

Not the biggest issue but that bracelet isn't vintage.

justintime likes this.
  3. Joe K. Curious about this text thingy below his avatar Dec 25, 2013

Personally, I don't bid on items that are a "private listing". This feature is only serves the seller in hiding "shill bidding" which drives up the price artificially. Also, a non responsive seller is a major problem. Why would you give your hard earned cash to someone who won't respond to your questions?

There are plenty of other legitimate dealers on eBAY with similar watches. Ask around the forum and you will get plenty of recommendations.

Habitant and justintime like this.
  4. lanierdams Dec 25, 2013

Service dial,hands,bezel and crown-glass for a 145.022-69 St

justintime likes this.
  5. ICONO Dec 25, 2013

Some of the worst offenders at 'shill bidding' are in Italy, where they do not even bother to conceal it, with a 'Private Listing'

The same Buyer, with Zero Feedback, will be bidding on all 5 / 10 / etc, of the Sellers watches, & nothing else.

Hey Presto ! - The same watches appear the following week.

Welcome to the 'Shark Pool', that is buying, & selling Vintage Watches !

justintime likes this.
  6. justintime Dec 25, 2013

Wow thanks a lot

I'm learning very fast thankfully they haven't taken me out yet but just pulled my trousers down a little with all the time I spent making sure i didn't get done over with these dodgy tactics they employ

.......this all explains the other issue I had where I was the winning bidder on this nice 'Italian Job'

It was a TC1 (time computer)

A) I wondered why it jumped so fast in price ( must be shill bidding as you say)

B) then when I won it I asked him to confirm the serial number of the gold plaque and send pictures of the inside and hey presto the brand new old stock and the so called mint stock was missing this key ingredient

My money is that he is going to relist these with the gold plaque That mysteriously he found..... as the one I bid on I later found out was already a relist from a previous issue which eBay kindly told me about when I called them to check it out!

(ebay are great at telling you in a roundabout way about the seller history on a relisted item if you call them and get hold of the Philippines call centre)

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=181283336033&globalID=EBAY-USPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=181283335563&globalID=EBAY-USPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

Some info I found useful on the time computer

http://www.solarnavigator.net/sponsorship/omega_swiss_watches.htm

7. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Dec 25, 2013

I suspected as much when I saw a 105.012-65 on eBay. It was for sale for $4,250 on WUS. I saw the "private bidding" and thought, if the winning bid is south of the WUS asking price we'll see it re-listed or for sale again on WUS.

Shure 'nuff, it's for sale again on WUS. The thing is, the winning bid was low for the item (I think), and the ask price doesn't seem outrageous (I must be wrong, because it's been offered for sale since Sept.). So I can't really blame the seller for doing the shill bid. If only someone had not tried to open the back of that watch with a chisel and hammer :(

8. Joe K. Curious about this text thingy below his avatar Dec 25, 2013

Everyone develops their own tactics on how to deal with eBAY. I try to research the seller as much as I do the item. Look carefully at the feedback, other items, activity patterns on lots and location. On high priced items I also try to contact the seller to get some information and see how he responds. Finally, post questions and search forums to see if anyone has experience with the seller. The bottom line is to use common sense - if it is too good to be true....

justintime likes this.
  9. Habitant Dec 25, 2013

I agree, always research the seller, look at what they bought as well as what they sold. And only a mug bids on 'Private Listings,' in my opinion.

justintime likes this.
  10. ICONO Dec 25, 2013

Look for Sellers who can demonstrate a knowledge of the watch they are selling, - Who know what they are talking about.

Look for Sellers with lots of authorititive, informative, accurate description - Who are open, & honest about the condition, & timekeeping of the watch.

Look for Sellers who supplement their descriptions with a hoard of good, clear, sharp imagery, showing every aspect / angle of the watch.

Look for Sellers who engage with you - Have integrity - If you have a question ? - Ask it ! - Create dialogue - You will know from the tone / nuance of the response, whether you want to do business with them.

Avoid one line descriptions / poor or deceptive imagery - Check feedback - Has the Seller a history of being "economical with the actualité"

Always remember, - If you miss something this week - Another better version will come along very soon.

justintime and SpikiSpikester like this.
  11. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Dec 25, 2013

Unless you're looking for one...

rhetoric likes this.
  12. ICONO Dec 26, 2013

Unless you are compelled to enter the deeply rarerified atmosphere of hunting down Jean-Luc Bombardier's 'Plaisted' Speedmaster, or Cousteau's Doxa Sub - I suspect 'one' is a relative term, - That is entirely dependent on one's personal level of OCD, & the depth of one's patience.

Ask yourself : Just how straight do you want all the pencils to be, on your desk ? :)

13. justintime Dec 26, 2013

What pencils on my desk they are all still brand new and with never used rubbers and all placed nearly in a pencil case in my drawer, thanks for all the advice helped me a lot sort my thoughts out, regards