Forums Latest Members

SOLD 145.022-69 Speedmaster Professional, Straight Writing

1. repoman Jul 14, 2018

If you noticed my other watch sale recently, you know I've committed to a new 2018 Seamaster 300 M, *AND* as of last Tuesday, I'm also on the hook for a Speedy Tuesday 2. I'm stuck with another tough decision, so this little "Scritti Dritti" will need to find a new owner to make room. I acquired this watch a few years ago, with plans to acquire all the Speedy variations from 1969. It's probably stupid to sell a 1969 Speedy one year before the 50th anniversary of Apollo XI, but I've never been accused of making brilliant financial decisions in watch collecting, I suppose I am just a slave to my emotional connection to watches.

While searching for a straight writing, I found it pretty difficult to find good examples, most of the ones I came across were trashed, and anything half-decent was way over my budget (i.e. higher than speedmaster101 prices). And then I found this one, which I placed in the happy middle (not trashed, and not too crazy expensive). I had it serviced at D's Time Service in San Diego soon after acquisition. Tom (the watchmaker at D's) did a mechanical servicing, and re-enameled the caseback. No other work was performed. The service receipt, and warranty on the service will go with the watch. I've paired it with a nice Omega calf skin strap and Omega deployant clasp which makes it a really nice watch to wear, very easy to get on and off. I also acquired an Extract of the Archives from Omega, showing it was delivered in 1973 to the United States.

I'm asking $4950 (REDUCED!!

It is in the known correct serial range for a Straight Writing Speedmaster 32.xxx.xxx. This sale includes

- 1969 Speedmaster Professional Straight Writing, reference 145.022-69
    - Omega calfskin brown strap and deployant clasp (these cost around $500 from Omega)
    - Extract of the Archives from Omega
    - Service receipt and transfer of remaining warranty
    - Caseback engraving is sharp and fully enameled in black

There is no box or other papers with this watch.

Condition: See pics. My assessment is the watch is overall "good" condition; crystal is in very good condition (with etched Omega logo properly oriented), stepped dial is pretty much flawless. Dial plots have original lume, which is somewhat uneven in tone, but fully intact. Hands are in average condition, the min/hour/chrono hands have matching darker lume (I don't know if this was natural lume aging, or if these hands were relumed - my best guess is they have naturally aged this way. The minute hand has some white paint missing near the center post. Watch case has been polished in the past (sigh), but its not badly done IMHO, retaining most of the original lines. One or two places that should be brushed appear more polished - see pics. Otherwise case shows normal/light wear/tear considering its 47 years old. Caseback has some ham-handed marks, along the case removal notches, from ill advised case back removals in the past, but nothing too deep, and to the naked eye, does not detract at all from the caseback appearance which is a very important part of this piece. All parts appear to be original, including crown and pushers. Caseback has fine/light scratches - in some lighting conditions you can see the scratches, in other light, you can't. I tried to capture the worst looking photo of the caseback in the harshest light, to set a low expectation. To the naked eye, you can't really see them. My watchmaker filled in the engraving with black enamel as was done when the watch was new. I think it looks better this way, than with no enamel, or with large missing sections of enamel. Watch movement is in overall excellent condition, all functions running well, as you would expect from a recently serviced watch by a competent watchmaker.

The watch is located in southern California. This includes domestic shipping, fully insured. I can ship internationally, which will be done at the buyers additional expense, fully insured, full value declared. A face to face transaction can be arranged in southern California. I have bought and sold many items on Omega Forums, and rolexforums.com and can provide references at your request. I ask for funds to be provided by paypal (gift, or add 4%), bank wire, via check/cashiers check, or cash in person. I am a private collector and rarely sell any of my watches. I prefer not to get involved in returns/refunds/etc, thus all sales are final, and as-is, unless there is a gross misrepresentation or mistake on my part. I will go overboard to disclose all issues with any watch I am selling. My reputation in the community is worth more to me than profiteering. All funds must be received prior to the watch being shipped. I always entertain and appreciate offers, and I do not get offended by any offer. If I don't accept your offer, I will either politely decline, or not respond.

SpeedySW.jpg SpeedySW-2.jpg SpeedySW-5.jpg SpeedySW-6.jpg SpeedySW-7.jpg SpeedySW-8.jpg SpeedySW-9.jpg SpeedySW-10.jpg SpeedySW-11.jpg SpeedySW-12.jpg SpeedySW-14.jpg SpeedySW-16.jpg SpeedySW-18.jpg SpeedySW-20.jpg SpeedySW-21.jpg SpeedySW-22.jpg SpeedySW-23.jpg

Edited Jul 18, 2018
  2. repoman Jul 16, 2018

bump, make offers, I'm highly motivated, I have two new watches coming in I can't afford!!!!

3. repoman Jul 18, 2018

Priced reduced to $4950!!

4. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jul 18, 2018

Wow it should not last long at that price. Under market by a fair amount.

Great honest piece!!!

5. Mr Gadget Jul 27, 2018

Hi, in the extract it mentions a bracelet. Is this included within the price?

6. Noles_88 Dog costume designer extraordinaire! Jul 27, 2018

That would have been too cheap if with the bracelet. Just head only this was a good price.

7. repoman Aug 6, 2018

Still OHPF (the buyer and I arranged for a mid-August exchange). I've had a lot of PM's asking about the watch (where were all you guys when it was still for sale?? :D ). 4 other buyers are in the wait list if the first buyer falls through.

kilofinal, speedy_tc and airansun like this.
  8. repoman Aug 17, 2018

Watch is sold. Thank you Omega Forums.