Forums Latest Members
  1. EdtheAussie Jun 26, 2018

Hi everyone.

I tried to see if this watch had been discussed, but couldn't find any threads, so thought I would try to get a few responses before the auction ends.

It appears as a 69 premoon speedy, with a very nice DoN, however has a later tritium service dial (and probably hands?)

I just happen to have very nice step dial that I think would compliment the condition of the watch, and if the auction doesn't creep too high (which it undoubtedly will) it could be a great donor.

My main question, is from the photos what do you think about the condition of the case? - non polished (i don't think so), polished (yes), overpolished (unlikely). And second, does the crown look period? I found a few threads discussing the topic, but am still struggling to identify it. The movement serial is very blurry, so have asked if the seller can provide clearer photos on that to confirm the correct period, and other thoughts are always appreciated!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Cheers,
    Ed

2. EdtheAussie Jun 26, 2018

My dial for reference :) IMG_20180626_075800_213.jpg IMG_20180626_075800_212.jpg

3. momosono Jun 26, 2018

That bezel does look very nice indeed.
    The crown looks like a model A3 to my untrained eyes and if I understand MWO correctly that should be OK for this model of Speedy.
    On the other hand, the sides of the case look terribly (re)brushed. I don't like that.
    Caseback looks OK (again my eyes are untrained), single bevel which fits with 145.022-69 and etching does not seem too polished.
    Am I correct in thinking this is a 516/1039 bracelet? That would be OK for the reference.
    Just my attempt at wisdom based on my understanding of MWO

EdtheAussie likes this.
  4. gdupree Jun 26, 2018

The crown is correct. Can't really tell much about the case with these pictures. Your assessment seems right. Looks polished but not obliterated. I bet you would probably have $4100 in the bezel and bracelet alone.

Of course keep in mind that the hour recorder is not resetting, and it's clear that the movement needs a service at least. I wouldn't want to spend much more than $5k to feel great about it, but I'm sure there's an argument for it's parts value being higher... that bezel is pretty ridiculous.

5. MaiLollo Jun 26, 2018

I'd argue that it's a 5k$ bezel there :)

Flatfoot likes this.
  6. gdupree Jun 26, 2018

Yeah, that kind of ceiling is definitely there. But if you paid that kind of parts value for this, you'd be spending $8k for one of the most abundant Speedmaster references, without the correct dial. At that price I would just be looking for a 321 speedy...Not saying you're wrong, just tossing out my thought process.

But still... you're basically right. Hopefully that doesn't mean it'll be a bunch of flippers bidding just trying to part it out.

7. MaiLollo Jun 26, 2018

I agree with you though, I wouldn't pay that much for the watch ! I see a lot of unattractive watches with a few attractive parts (bezel or hands or dial) go for biggish money & I always wonder if some kind of dealer is getting them in order to create "a perfect untouched example" from 3 different watches...

8. Dgercp Jun 26, 2018

Would some kind of dealer do that ?? :)

9. MaiLollo Jun 26, 2018

Which one wouldn't ?

10. Castle4444 Jun 26, 2018

£4330! Cheap enough

11. tritto Jun 26, 2018

Hey Ed. If you happen to get it, and then switch out the dials, the tritium service dial might improve my 145.022 with luminova service dial if you decide to move the service dial on.

connieseamaster likes this.
  12. EdtheAussie Jun 27, 2018

Sorry mate, I was a bit slow with the bidding :( - but it did sell for an ok price!

tritto likes this.
  13. Screwbacks Jun 27, 2018

if you are comfortable with a printed instead of applied omega logo, the watch is very desirable premoon imo. the watch appears to be in order especially the overall neat condition of the dial, the 861, and the case. the bracelet is added value.

EdtheAussie likes this.
  14. tritto Jun 27, 2018

Sorry you didn't get it.

EdtheAussie likes this.
  15. gdupree Jun 27, 2018

I hope the winner already had a period correct dial sitting around like you did... Because paying that much for a watch with a service dial and still needing to spend what, maybe a grand, on a correct dial? I wouldn't.

Now...what ya gonna do with that -69 dial again? :whistling:

16. EdtheAussie Jun 28, 2018

Not sure what I'll do, maybe keep a look out for other 69s needing some help ;) . Or move it on to a more deserving owner

17. boogedyboo Jun 28, 2018

The dial is a service dial though.

And hands too, if you are a stickler for details.