Forums Latest Members
  1. wwhntr Nov 30, 2017

2. wwhntr Nov 30, 2017

Now $12,700!!!!

Sorry, could not copy link...here’s pictures

A628DAE8-5384-43AB-8E5B-D93D277E968D.png EFF89AC9-3B1F-441D-A422-1AD9138E6329.png 2ACB3390-A9FB-433E-90D2-981F259D2E5D.png

3. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Nov 30, 2017

I wish I had seen that, I would have paid more.

Flight watch would be $200,000+

So, no they did not think it was a flight watch.

Instead it is a classic chocolate dial, one rarely seen, that appears to not be dried out or man induced, in original used condition.

If this had been on a more publicised auction, I suspect my bid of 15k would have been beaten.

I would buy that right now for 15k.

While I realise many think people like me are crazy, there is more than one of us and thats all you need to set a market price.

dubois, EdtheAussie, Baz9614 and 6 others like this.
  4. wwhntr Nov 30, 2017

Moderator, combine with Post Strong Auction for tropical

Really!!!! Tropical barn find is bringing this kind of premium ????

I’m sorry, after doing this for 27 years guess I just don’t get it! A $5-6k premium for chocolate barn find! Guess I’m spoiled from the days when any Speedmaster could be had for $500-1000, regardless of reference :confused: Ah, those were the days!

Edited Nov 30, 2017
  5. BenBagbag Nov 30, 2017

Thought you were in sell-off mode. :D
    Well we still don't know what your other incoming is... :mad:

This watch definitely has wrist presence. This look is worlds different than your average -69. I totally hear the tropical dial look after seeing this one. Awesome!

Seaborg likes this.
  6. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Nov 30, 2017

Indeed you are right.

I am a relative newcomer compared to you, but I also see some speedmasters selling for numbers I would not pay myself.

But yes, tropical barns are mad

7. bazamu wincer, not a bidder Nov 30, 2017

I've been watching this for over a week and was in it until the final bid...this is worth every single penny. The single best tropical pre-moon that I've seen out there...razor sharp case, full bracelet, creamy lume, and absolutely zero concern that it's been tampered with. Even now, I'm regretting not continuing to bid above that level, but at a certain point, us mere mortals have to cry uncle.

8. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Nov 30, 2017

I am in Sell Off Mode.....but you know, if I see something special (and this was VERY special) I cant help it

9. gdupree Nov 30, 2017

Three different posts about this watch this morning, yet so many of us missed it before it was sold!

Great watch. That shadowing in the sub dials is amazing, too IMO

Baz9614 likes this.
  10. bazamu wincer, not a bidder Nov 30, 2017

This is what depresses me even further...the single glimmer of hope that I'd found something nobody else had..and then three separate threads on OF immediately after it closes.

Auction steals in the internet era are officially DEAD.

[​IMG]

11. Speedmasterfan88 Nov 30, 2017

Only hope now are BIN's now. But then you have to be fast... very fast. And even if you are the first to spot it and hit BIN, the chance that some shark comes after you and offers the seller a multitude of the BIN still remains ... :mad:

Edited Nov 30, 2017
    Caliber561, nonuffinkbloke and bazamu like this.
  12. Seaborg Nov 30, 2017

::facepalm1::

BenBagbag likes this.
  13. ClarendonVintage Nov 30, 2017

Speechless.

14. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Nov 30, 2017

No they aren't...got this 1675 in plain sight for everyone to see, now given it wasn't a steal like my tropical 69 or 300 or...insert other watch...those were all BINs, this wasn't, just a straight up auction. IMG_20171130_094013_973.jpg

Edited Nov 30, 2017
  15. Davidt Nov 30, 2017

Wow. That is not a high price for that watch.
    It's a strong price, but in today's market, it's a good buy imo.

16. BenBagbag Nov 30, 2017

Agreed that it is not a high price. Even using collector's value of 9800 according to speedmaster101 (and the watch without the tropical would probably be in collector's condition - look at that DON!), you've got a stunning 1039 there which could be $1000-$1500 on it's own, so you've got a premium of ~$3500 on a most attractive tropical dial in a market that already keeps going up.

Think, for $15k, would you rather have this or an Ed White. I'd have gone with this one.

djmusicman, scbr215 and Seaborg like this.
  17. Seaborg Nov 30, 2017

Me too... Absolutly amazing tropical dial. I would be very curious to see it for real...

One more to be added on the list "I would kill for"...

Edited Nov 30, 2017
  18. wwhntr Nov 30, 2017

It wouldn’t be the first time, but I’m not with the majority here. Please!....don’t take the following as criticism of anyone here, just some of my points of view!

1) I have to admit, I had to read carefully again Speedmaster101 definition of “Collector”, but “worn for six months” definitely doesn’t apply to this watch. It was not almost unworn, untouched, maybe unpolished, but not faultless.

(Maybe I need to rethink values/desirability of the handful of original owner Speedmasters in my collection.)

“Collector – Very, very few watches are in this condition. Almost unworn, untouched. Unpolished, faultless. This is the highest price I would expect a Speedmaster to fetch unless it is New Old Stock and absolutely unworn ever. If you take this price to value a watch, I am certain I could find reasons to reduce from the figure. (Which is the idea). A further concept to illustrate “Collector” is the idea that if it were worn for six months, it would become “Good”. It does not include NOS which is an ethereal market.”

2) Just curious, how does a watch with that many scratches on crystal appear to have original brushed or polished finish on the case and such sharp edges?

3) I did note the chocolate/tropical dial, but I would have to see watch in person to determine how much was lighting conditions of pictures and how much dial has actually changed.

4) On the subject of tropical dials, I also admit that I am not a huge fan or enamored by them. The following could be said for many things that drive the market in this hobby, but could the attraction for tropical dials be compared to Hans Christian Anderson’s The Emperor’s New Clothes? I first heard about the attraction to tropical dials from Vintage Rolex forums, but who first looked at such dials and thought, wow, that’s attractive and makes a watch more valuable? Not a prediction or criticism, but just for thought.

Again, I’m not trying to tear down anyone’s previous opinions/comments, I’m just stating some observations.

wsfarrell, tamura and Noles_88 like this.
  19. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Nov 30, 2017

Remember, if it’s a chocolate dial, all definitions / price categories become null

The chart is only for black dials

BenBagbag and Baz9614 like this.
  20. wwhntr Nov 30, 2017

Obviously so, if there are enough people who find it desirable! I guess similar points that I made above could be made for the No NASA ‘71 I acquired this year. Not exactly comparable, because of brief time produced and the fact you can see chocolate each time you look at watch.