Forums Latest Members

145.022 68 transitional Speedy, my very first!!! (very pic heavy!)

1. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Jan 9, 2014

Well here it is.... just arrived today...my first Omega, and my first vintage Omega! :) 145.022-68 serial 27,32x,xxx

Of course we'll never know its detailed history & who really knows how much is accurate, but according to the seller... The original purchaser bought it new, wore it briefly, then kept it mostly in storage for the next few decades, reportedly never serviced, before it saw the light of day again six or seven years ago. The seller has owned it since then, and obviously wore it with care during that time, before putting it up for sale on the 'bay last week, also never having it serviced or polished. The posted auction pictures weren't the best (you can read that thread elsewhere in this forum), but after taking delivery earlier today, I breathed a sign of relief. The watch seems to me to be in great condition, keeps time (so far) and the chrono functions flawlessly. Looks quite amazing to me, if there are any significant flaws, my untrained and admittedly biased eye can't see them. .

It arrived to me from the west coast today via FedEx. The second order of business was of course was putting on my wrist!
    [​IMG]

Wonderful vintage look overall, and the Speedmaster is an acknowledged classic, but let's take a closer look at the details. The bezel is amazing... no chips and not even a scratch visible to the naked eye, anything you see in the pics is dust on the watch or camera lens. Here's the famous "dot over 90" just as it should be....
    [​IMG]

The accent over the "E" in tachymetre...
    [​IMG]

On to the dial with the applied Omega logo, awesome and clean, dial & hands with no oxidation....
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nice matching patina on the lume of both markers & hands...
    [​IMG]

Overall, the dial and bezel far exceed my expectations! But how about the case? Good news there too... no visible dings or dents anywhere, some swirlies, but nothing you wouldn't expect with a watch this old. Bevels are sharp - you can slice the Sunday ham with them!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Caseback worse for wear than the rest of the case, with some tool marks...and the famous logo worn, but clearly visible...
    [​IMG]

Oh, almost forgot the hesalite crystal... Omega logo right where it should be...and a camera-shy little bugger...

[​IMG]

Came with the original 1039 bracelet in fine condition, thought it looks like it is missing some links, w as well as the 1117 bracelet you see in the pictures. The seller also included an Omega inner and outer box, not original to the watch of course, but nice...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

No pictures of the movement, I am not competent to crack the caseback open. Since I know it hasn't been serviced for at least six or seven years, and possibly ever, I'm planning to part company with it almost immediately for a trip to the spa. Will have some movement pictures taken at that time. I have a vintage guy in mind for that service, but any recommendations would also be welcome, thank you very much.

Very excited to have made this acquisition! Haven't been here long, but I'm glad I found this forum. Thanks much to those here on the forum for some kind words and confidence-building along the way. :thumbsup:

Hijak, persco and TLIGuy like this.
  2. ulackfocus Jan 9, 2014

Most definitely! Don't risk doing any damage to it.

Nice score!

3. Gavin It's the quiet ones you have to 'watch' out for. Jan 9, 2014

::love:: :thumbsup:

4. JohnSteed Jan 9, 2014

Awesome catch!!

Yup, get it serviced asap.

5. alam Jan 9, 2014

Excellent grab and very nice indeed! :thumbsup: ::love::

6. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Jan 9, 2014

Interesting. I wonder if the seller had had pictures as good as this if the price would have been higher or lower.
    i inexplicably become more exited by poor photos, perhaps I feel it indicates an inexperienced seller, and makes me think I am finding a diamond in the rough.

this watch has definately turned out well, and one of the best I have seen off the 'bay.

the price paid is almost irrelevant. if I want more money, I work more. If I want a watch as good as this, I need patience and luck, and even then I might not find one.

I would bet that you could get a profit on this watch right now. Even though conventional "wisdom" says you paid too much.

you didn't. It was cheap.

well done!

7. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Jan 9, 2014

Really enviable condition. Very nice first Speedy - bet it won't be last. These are like crack in chronograph form.

8. timeismoney Jan 9, 2014

I was watching that auction...Congrats! You did good!

9. browncow Jan 10, 2014

Your first Omega and your vintage, and it's a super clean transitional Speedy....wow...what can I say!
    Congrats!
    While searching for my (much more common) pre-moon 861 Speedy, I came across very very few with serial number 27xxxxxx.
    Well done indeed!!

10. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Jan 10, 2014

Best of two worlds there: looks like a 321 but has the accuracy and service- friendliness of the 861.

Well played, sir. And as it has been said, the price paid for such an example is irrelevant...

Congrats and wear it in the best of health (in a few weeks after CLA!)