Forums Latest Members
  1. Lonestar insert Schwartz joke HERE Mar 9, 2016

Hello all,

I have come across a very nice 145.014, which looks a bit too good to be true (except its price, of course). It is said to be in NOS condition and unrestored (I'm currently asking questions about that).

The pictures show a sunburst effect on the case back. As I'm new to this all, I was wondering if this was a common feature in the 70s, which we can't notice anymore after 40yrs of wrist-polishing (let alone machine-polishing...)... or if I should walk away.

Thank you!
    Paul

CaseBack Sunburst.JPG
  2. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Mar 9, 2016

As far as I know, that is not original finish. It should be all polished.

Lonestar likes this.
  3. Lonestar insert Schwartz joke HERE Mar 9, 2016

That's what I was thinking... Found another one, on a 145.029 this time...

sunburst caseback.JPG
  4. wsfarrell Mar 9, 2016

In this other picture from the listing, the slight unevenness in the grain of the satin, the fact that it encroaches a bit on the flat of the caseback, the similarity of the grain across bracelet and caseback, and the softness of the polished areas under the lugs, all make me think this has been redone. Note the seller says "NOS condition," not "NOS." If polished, whoever did it is very very good at what he does.

145.jpg

Lonestar likes this.
  5. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Mar 9, 2016

Lonestar likes this.
  6. Lonestar insert Schwartz joke HERE Mar 9, 2016

Thanks guys. I'm doing my learning here, thanks to you.

Upon asking questions to the seller, the answer is "
    Hello,
    sorry the Omega is Sold!"

It's the second time I ask itchy questions to sellers where I have doubts, and coincidentally the watch sells right after... go figure ;)

and both time, interestingly, they still show for sale on the boards...

<ahem>

Thanks all!
    Paul

7. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Mar 9, 2016

No, but the sunburst pattern was done on a lathe or rotary tool, thus the curved instead of straight lines.

PS: Just had a look at my clean MKII, caseback is mirror finished (never polished).

Lennov likes this.
  8. TomGW Mar 10, 2016

My MKii has never been polished and is in close to mint condition. The caseback even still has a few traces of a purple waxy substance, but I must confess I'm not sure if there is a sunburst effect. Will check though.