Forums Latest Members
  1. nocturnal005 Jul 6, 2017

Hello, I found this forum through the Speedmaster101 page.

I've had a 145.012 Speedy for 7-8 yrs now and it is hands down my favorite watch. I never gave much thought to wearing it daily or its value until the bezel fell off the other day. After sticker shock surfing eBay, I got lucky and found the bezel in the office! Needless to say I was very happy and relieved.

It got me thinking about the condition and value of the watch in whole. Values seem all over the map for these, and I'm curious to get some opinions I can trust on it's value. As far as I can tell, everything looks original and in decent shape. The negatives that I notice are that most of the lume is gone from the dial, (although not completely) and the case has obviously been polished. I'm not sure what else I'm missing. I think if there is an opportunity to move to a nicer specimen at a reasonable cost difference, I would do that, but I need to know where I stand first! Hopefully, I bought well and not a clunker!

Anyway, on to the pics. I can provide more w a better camera if needed.

IMG_6239.JPG.jpeg IMG_6244.JPG.jpeg IMG_6240.JPG.jpeg IMG_6242.JPG.jpeg IMG_6245.JPG.jpeg IMG_6241.JPG.jpeg IMG_6236.JPG.jpeg IMG_6237.JPG.jpeg IMG_6234.JPG-1.jpeg IMG_6232.JPG-1.jpeg

PaulC77, bhove, R3D9 and 1 other person like this.
  2. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Jul 6, 2017

WTF...a tropical 145.012???

3. nocturnal005 Jul 6, 2017

in strong direct sun it's definitely dark brown! But indoors it looks pretty black. In fact I didn't notice the brown before I browsed the speedmaster101 site a few days ago. I tried to take some pics in different lighting.

4. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Jul 6, 2017

Well, that dark brown dial will impact value in a very good way. It looks like a very nice example overall...you bought well.

propervinyl likes this.
  5. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Jul 6, 2017

+ for the brown
    - for the missing lume

Still, a very nice looking watch. Has it been serviced in your care?

Definitely around Good on the price chart assuming movement is correct and in good shape. +/- depending on how one values brown vs lume.

R3D9 and propervinyl like this.
  6. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jul 6, 2017

Presents well. Missing lume in a minus... looks great is a plus. Tropical is a plus as well as the bezel.

Case and bezel are amazing, major pluses.

I put it between good and collector. Around 1/2 way between is my valuation.

R3D9 likes this.
  7. R3D9 Jul 6, 2017

Bummer about the missing lume, but that dial is very, very nice. Case looks more than acceptable to me.

What are you thinking of moving up to? What about the existing watch is lacking for you? I'm not trying to be snarky... honestly curious. If one wanted to own a Speedy, this is a pretty sweet example.

Is there a specific model that you're lusting after? This is a pretty attractive watch... I'd be very happy with it as-is, assuming you want to remain in the Speedmaster realm.

If you're after an entirely different watch, that's a whole other discussion.

propervinyl likes this.
  8. propervinyl Jul 6, 2017

I completely agree. This is a fine example of an iconic watch.

9. ndgal Jul 6, 2017

Watch looks great.
    Dial has color changed to a beautiful even Brown.
    If you bought this well, and you use and enjoy it, there is really no need to "Upgrade" in my opinion.

Yeah, the missing lume is a drawback, but the Tropical dial might compensate for that when it comes to value.

Great watch. I wouldn't sell it if I were you.

R3D9 likes this.
  10. nocturnal005 Jul 6, 2017

Wow, you guys are awesome and fast! I knew nothing about these when I bought and with all the frankenwatches out there I was afraid I may have ended up with one. I feel much better now given the response. I really lust after the same watch and yr, but I would love to have one w the lume intact. The lugs looked thin compared to others I've seen. That's really it! I guess I should be happy with what I have. To be clear I could never do without a Speedy.

It was serviced just prior to my purchase about 8 yrs ago. Bought the watch off a TZ member...I remember purchasing it primarily because the movement was so clean, didn't know to pay attention more to the dial, etc!

Perhaps the thing to do is to keep this one and hunt for a 145.022 next

watchknut and R3D9 like this.
  11. mr_yossarian Jul 7, 2017

A bit late to the party, good morning from Europe!
    All said already, it's a very nice one! And a brown dial, come on....:taunt:
    Did you buy it in or from the U.S.? It bears an OXG marking on the balance cock and "unadjusted" next to the serial.

davten likes this.
  12. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Jul 7, 2017

Wow, just gorgeous! Lucky you...can only imagine the shock of searching for a DON bezel and then ...'but these things cost more than I paid for the watch' :)

Most people will frown upon this, but, I beleive @Spacefruit knows of someone who can do a proper relume job if that is your only gripe. But thats a decision that would require a lot of good pondering...not sure I would bother.

Just an idea. Lovely watch. Wear in good health.

13. kreyke Jul 7, 2017

I'm so glad you found the bezel.. that would be have been 4k down the drain based on eBay prices.

14. Jackee Jul 7, 2017

Fantastic watch you have! :thumbsup:

15. nocturnal005 Jul 7, 2017

I recall the original seller said it was from the U.S. but I've never gone to omega to ask for the history of it. I reside in the US and purchased it in California. Were US watches "unadjusted" whereas other markets "adjusted"?

16. Overgrower Jul 7, 2017

I believe 321s delivered to the USA were marked with OXG and unadjusted because additional taxes were placed on adjusted movements and more than 17 jewels.

17. mr_yossarian Jul 8, 2017

18. liebs520 Jul 8, 2017

Agreed with what everyone's said, great piece. Just one other observation: I think you have a service crown, as opposed to the original one with the thinner Omega logo. Not a big determinant of value, just giving you the heads up.

19. nocturnal005 Jul 9, 2017

That is something I would never have noticed. Are originals hard to find if I wanted to replace this?

20. liebs520 Jul 9, 2017

Not sure honestly. I've never owned a vintage Omega so I've never sought out a vintage replacement part, but I've looked at a lot of Speedy listings online and I own a modern Omega and I've noticed the difference in the crowns. Your crown logo matches mine.