145.012-68 Seeking Your Expert Counsel (before I trigger as a milestone bday pressie to myself!)

Hi all,

I'm a newcomer to this forum. Looking to buy my first Speedy for my milestone birthday.

I've been doing a lot of reading here and have also tried on my wrist numerous models. This has spanned eras from 105.012, plenty of 145.022 examples to the outgoing reference. I've also considered cousins such as the 145.089 and even the FOIS but I've always held the deepest respect for the true OGs! 👍

I've come across a Speedy I like that is within my budget and I was hoping for feedback. As I'm buying off a private seller and I'm a complete novice, I want to be especially sure of what I'm buying! 😕

The watch comes with an extract from the Omega archives and I'm able to match off the case back model and the reference number of the Calibre 321 movement.

Here's a few notes from my side:
Dial - Applied logo with stepped dial which is period correct. Fairly clean condition and the hour markers have speckles of remaining lume
Hands - Doesn't match with dial, looks very white with yellow tinges on the second hand. Lume should be Tritium (and not Luminova)
Case - OK condition and the shape of the four lugs look fairly consistent
Bezel - Not original but is period correct with DON
Bracelet - Non-existent but I'd say it's been baked into the ask price
Pushers - Likely been replaced

Many thanks in advance!

speedy1.jpg speedy2.jpg speedy3.jpg speedy4.jpg
Edited:

I am suspicious of the hands, those may relumed or dyed modem SL, you can see where the yellow pigment has run. The dial is tired and much of the lume looks gone, the rest looks mostly ok. The serial is in range. What’s the crown like? What’s the price? I’d want to look long abd hard at the bezel, it has a whiff of applied patina/ghosting.

Get a pic of the hands reset to zero. It looks like the hour hand is creeping maybe. If you have priced in a service it’s less of an issue.
Edited:

Thank you, Padders! Here's the pic of the crown and pushers. Looking quite shiny and smooth. Asking price TBC but around the 7K USD mark. What's your take on the reasonableness of the price? Documentation-wise, it's only the Omega extract and there's no box or papers. speedy5.jpg

Walk away, too high. There are questions over too many areas. I think it’s a rehashed dealer put together.

I think the bezel is a fake.

583DB581-256E-4783-923B-5FB7284F80E0.jpeg 7B712A94-D27D-4648-835E-EA08E7493830.jpeg

I agree with @padders ’s suspicion about the hands.

Thanks. Appreciate the knowledge and the pic. The seller did have what he said was the OG bezel which was really banged up and that would also come with the watch. He mentioned that he got the bezel from eBay. So there is not yet full but a degree of transparency there...

Oh, oh! And the hour counter isn’t resetting properly. 😉

Walk away, too high. There are questions over too many areas.

Walk away. There are questions over too many areas. I think it’s a rehashed dealer put together.
I see where you are coming from. For that kind of coin and occasion (albeit important only to myself really...), I am definitely getting cold feet! Appreciate your well-educated opinion!

Oh, oh! And the hour counter isn’t resetting properly. 😉

Ah the chrono had just started running but looks like I won't be the owner of this mongrel... cheers Airansun! 👍

The seller did have what he said was the OG bezel which was really banged up and that would also come with the watch. He mentioned that he got the bezel from eBay. So there is not yet full but a degree of transparency there...

I assume you are aware that there’s at least $3k difference between the bezel you posted and the one I did.

I’ll stop now. That watch rubbed my fur the wrong way.

Agree with the above, the bezel looks off and I'm also not sure the hour hand is a Speedmaster hand. It looks too short at the tip.

Agree with the above, the bezel looks off and I'm also not sure the hour hand is a Speedmaster hand. It looks too short at the tip.
Thank you, Davidt. Glad there's this forum as otherwise I'd truly be flying blind! 😎

Not a 7K watch, and not an example you want to buy regardless.

I don't like it. This is a "bargain" watch that you will regret buying.

The bezel is definitely not right. Maybe ask for pictures of the original “banged up” one and see what it’s like.

The bezel is definitely not right. Maybe ask for pictures of the original “banged up” one and see what it’s like.
Here's a pic of it... please let me know your thoughts. Looks at least closer to the one that @airansun posted compared with the one that's currently on the watch
speedy6.jpg

Here's a pic of it... please let me know your thoughts. Looks at least closer to the one that @airansun posted compared with the one that's currently on the watch
speedy6.jpg

Looks original but worth is negletable

Listen to @padders @ndgal and @Dan S ... and forget about this one

Looks original but worth is negletable

Listen to @padders @ndgal and @Dan S ... and forget about this one
good to know that the bezel is original as i got along with the seller fairly well and didnt think he was dodgy. but i wouldnt wear it with the original bezel nor with the fake. and everything mentioned above does bother me. i won't be touching that watch again and thanks for the complete peace of mind.

good to know that the bezel is original as i got along with the seller fairly well and didnt think he was dodgy. but i wouldnt wear it with the original bezel nor with the fake. and everything mentioned above does bother me. i won't be touching that watch again and thanks for the complete peace of mind.

BTW excellent first post here!!! 👍