Forums Latest Members
  1. Clibka Oct 27, 2016

Does anyone know unequivocally if ALL 145-012-67's lume would pass the black light test?

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. SpeedTar Oct 27, 2016

Normaly the Tritium due to his half life radioactivity should not react. With the black light test it may react but only few seconds after you turn off the light

3. Clibka Oct 27, 2016

Thanks @SpeedTar does anyone have experience with an orig dial lume/hands being non-reactive to black light completely? Dial in question:

[​IMG]

Seaborg likes this.
  4. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Oct 27, 2016

looks a lot like the 145.012-67 that I bought

5. Clibka Oct 27, 2016

In a good way? [emoji12]

Yours react to black light?

6. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Oct 27, 2016

Didn't put it to a blacklight...seeing that it spent the last 16 years a drawer, and a majority of its life in a drawer, I was not worried about it being a relume due to the overall original condition.

It does however have a faint glow after a charge from a flashlight.

Your patina and lume application are almost identical to mine from what I can tell.

Foo2rama likes this.
  7. shane0mack Oct 27, 2016

Black light should charge it up a bit, but it should then fade very quickly. In a dark room, you'll probably still see a very faint glow following the black light.

8. Kazyole Oct 27, 2016

As others have said, it should glow very faintly and fade very quickly.

Half life on tritium is 12.3 years, so you'd have about 6.25% left at this point on a watch from 1967.

9. Davidt Oct 27, 2016

It's not the tritium that glows.

On a tritium dial, the tritium was the energy source to excite the phosphorus based paint on the plots. They no longer glow as the tritium has lost most of its energy, but you can still excite (illuminate) the paint by exposing it to uv light or a camera flash.

I don't believe it works with radium as the radiation is so strong it actually damages the paint.

kkt, dialstatic, Kazyole and 2 others like this.
  10. Clibka Oct 27, 2016

+1 for this as this is how I understand it. My question stands though, even though the tritium has faded has anyone ever come across a dial that could not be "excited"

11. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Oct 27, 2016

My vintage Rolex don't get excited...at all, and they are 100% original.

My Omegas, all of them, get very excited, and they are, with the exception of one, 100% original.

Based on the way that dial looks, my gut says original, but it is odd that there is no glow.

12. Kazyole Oct 27, 2016

Yeah, radium is no joke. From my understanding the zinc sulphide phosphor would burn out in a matter of 3-4 years because of the exposure to the radium.

Not only radium it far more radioactive than tritium, but the halflife of radium is around 1600 years, vs 12.3 years for tritium. So while a tritium watch from 50 years ago is relatively safe (would contain around 6% of the starting amount), a radium watch would be approximately as radioactive today as it was when the dial was painted.

EDIT: http://www.missedinhistory.com/podcasts/the-radium-girls-2.htm

(podcast about the history of the radium girls)

Edited Oct 27, 2016
  13. Clibka Oct 27, 2016

That is my thought as well. Looks entirely too good to be faked, but is it too good to be true? I really need to get it in a dark room with a bright flashlight to know for sure.

If anyone else can weigh in on reactivity and if they have an original dial that is hard to "excite" I would appreciate the input.

Edited Oct 31, 2016
  14. Clibka Oct 28, 2016

Ok, finally got to my nice camera. Anyone care to weigh in? Original? Or Nah?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Kazyole Oct 28, 2016

I think touched up.

Mine lumes very faintly, but it's uniform across the plots. Yours seems to have a lot of hot spots and dim areas.

I'd guess the hot spots are areas where new lume was added colored to match the old stuff, and the dim areas are the original lume.

16. Clibka Oct 28, 2016

That was a long exposure, I believe 4 seconds. Not nearly that "hot" to the naked eye.

Edited Oct 28, 2016
  17. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Oct 28, 2016

looks nice. who cares! ::stirthepot::

Just Livin likes this.
  18. Kazyole Oct 28, 2016

Ah. Dunno then. Never taken a long-exposure of mine.

As @oddboy pointed out, if it is relumed they did a really nice job. I mean I'd wear it.

oddboy likes this.
  19. Clibka Oct 29, 2016

I appreciate this for sure,

I guess I just don't like the feeling of paying $X.XX for something under the impression that it is original and if it is not, realizing it's new value is @ 0.8($X.XX)

20. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Oct 29, 2016

I understand. I can't tell from the lit pic if it's redone, but the glowing pic looks like a bit of a redo. It's just very hard to tell from these pics. What's odd is that in the lit pics, the plots seem to be even and uniform, but in the glowing pic, they look inconsistent and sort of blotchy.

In focus macros would tell a lot more...