Forums Latest Members

SOLD 145.012-67 Brown Dial. Serviced. Extract. - £7250

1. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Jun 12, 2018

P6120003-001.jpg

One of the very nicest dials I have ever seen.
    Extract of the archives showing delivered 20 February 1968
    Serviced and restored by Simon Freese

P6120001-003.jpg

P6120004.jpg
    Case shows age related wear. We did not polish it.

P6120005.jpg
    Pushers were not changed, and show some marks, but I do not care, I would rather have the originals and they work and do not show any internal damage or wear.

Five dial plots were retouched to match the rest of the dial (Between 11 and 3). Chrono tip was also adjusted.

P6120007.jpg

Good DO90 bezel with no major damage, just age. Bezel is untouched.

P6120010.jpg

Serviced by Simon Freese. Considerable work went in to restoring this movement which had light water damage. There is no trace of it now, and this movement is better than most now. While it had moisture, it had not been messed around with, and so any parts that needed attention were restored, not replaced. Note the good condition of the screw heads. (If I did not tell you, you could not tell - but as anyone who knows me will tell you, I believe in full disclosure.)

P6120012-001.jpg P6120011-001.jpg P6120013-001.jpg P6120017.jpg

Personal Notes on this Watch

While this is a definitely brown dial, it is not as pronounced as some of the 2911xxxx 861 Speedmasters. It is one of the most attractive dials I have seen. While you should not expect a tropical dial to tumble from the fedex, you will see a beautiful dark brown, that actually is more valued by some collectors - the ones who dismiss the extreme chocolate some of us love - they prefer this rather sophisticated and solid dark brown.

The work done by Simon Freese is, frankly, art. If I did not mention the lume work, I do not think anyone would even think twice, as the damaged plots were adjusted to match the remaining good ones.

The bezel is pretty good. It is not great, but a great bezel is now $5000 and this one is at least complete and without major damage, with natural fade/wear.

What else? Not much really. Its a great watch, with restoration work done so well that if I did not declare it then no one would know.

P6120003-002.jpg

Why am I selling?

I have a large collection, and I am slowly aiming to reduce the numbers by keeping only one example of each reference. Oh, yes, and to finance the new house that is draining me.

Who am I?
    I am a enthusiastic private collector, holding a large number of watches acquired over many years. I sell only when I need to finance something else. I do not acquire watches to profit, but to collect. Of course I welcome an uplift when I sell, but it is not my motive. I have many references here on this forum, and I wrote the site www.speedmaster101.com. My reputation is important to me.

Terms
    Payment by Bank Wire, in UK pounds sterling to my company account in Hong Kong, or Crypto currency. (HSBC compelled me to acquire my special objects like watches through a company account, as the amounts were varying, unpredictable, and they would not let me do it through my private account. So that is why you have to send it to my company). If you are uncomfortable with this, then I will wait until you are.

Returns
    While they are not welcomed, I will take it back if you are seriously miserable and very, very nice about it. Obviously you have to pay the shipping, and get it back to me in the same condition as I sent it.

Delivery
    Face to face is welcome, in UK, GU8 area or London. UK delivery is by registered Mail, insured to 2500.

P6120011.jpg
    nixf6, tmw57, Brianstoops and 18 others like this.
  2. smitty190373 Jun 12, 2018

This won't last long, very nice indeed!

Mods likes this.
  3. gdupree Jun 12, 2018

If i had started saving earlier, I would be abandoning my intended next purchase and buying this. Hopefully someone takes this off my mind ASAP. :). Cheers and GLWS.

4. MaiLollo Jun 13, 2018

:eek:

5. The_Walrus Jun 13, 2018

Chocolate 321....doesn't get better

6. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Jun 13, 2018

OHPF and confirming delivery - just saying because I did have a lot of interest, thank you to all of you and sorry if you missed it.

BenBagbag, bags1971, oddboy and 3 others like this.
  7. mr_yossarian Jun 13, 2018

..and where was I at 12:22...asleep, oh come on..

8. shishy www.hpmor.com Jun 13, 2018

you snooze you lose

Spacefruit likes this.
  9. tmw57 Jun 13, 2018

Such a pretty Speedy...

And hats off to whoever did the sympathetic restoration of the dial plots. Masterful work!

Spacefruit likes this.
  10. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Jun 13, 2018

That is lovely ::love::

In the name of science : any uv / post-uv-fade shots?

Edited Jun 14, 2018
    bloomy likes this.