Forums Latest Members
  1. Simonhedegaard Aug 10, 2018

Just bought a lovely Speedy from Flame :) How does these work as a daily beater, is there any reason to worry at all? I work as a teacher so i am quite "active" and i might get some small bumps on the way... i don't care about a little patina ;) but would hate to ruin the mechanism inside the watch...

I wont offcause not use it swimming or abuse it in any way, just want to use my watches :)

Some pictures of the beauti!

IMG_5746.JPG IMG_5745.JPG IMG_5744.JPG IMG_5747.JPG

2. Dgercp Aug 10, 2018

Damn yes, beat it. You can even go to space with it :).
    Nice watch, enjoy it.

DaveK, Observer, bardamu and 6 others like this.
  3. Delbok Aug 10, 2018

Beautiful piece and great for a daily watch :) you can ride your bike without caring too much :D

Simonhedegaard likes this.
  4. Davidt Aug 10, 2018

Beat the hell out of it.

They don’t want to sit in a box, T Rex wants to hunt.

Seaborg, nzshadow and BatDad like this.
  5. Lonestar insert Schwartz joke HERE Aug 10, 2018

Make sure it's serviced if you will use it daily - beater or not :)

DaveK likes this.
  6. Simonhedegaard Aug 10, 2018

Just serviced so should be all right there :)

Dan S likes this.
  7. stefman Aug 10, 2018

I wear my 145.012-67 as my daily wearer and I love it! I’m in a restaurant environment and gets banged and scratched once in a while. It’s a great daily companion and I enjoy wearing it. I’ve had moments when I worry about wearing it daily, but at the end of the day, I’d rather enjoy wearing it than keep it in a drawer or a safe.

Ian_km, Dan S, airansun and 3 others like this.
  8. Philou Aug 10, 2018

Yep, once serviced, no problem as a daily beater

9. Slevin kelevra Aug 10, 2018

Now that looks cool! Would be a huge waste not to wear it.

Simonhedegaard and Foxy100 like this.
  10. Foxy100 Aug 10, 2018

I wear modern about three days per month, vintage the rest of the time. I'm a lot more careful with mint watches so wear my nicely worn in ones like my '67 Speedy most of the time. As long as you're careful - don't smack it into a doorframe or play cricket with it on - you're fine. And yours looks lovely to me, I'd much rather wear a watch with that kind of patina than a shiny example!

Larry S likes this.
  11. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Aug 10, 2018

Frankly ... replacement cost on that bezel alone disqualifies old speed masters as daily wear watches. When I know it’s gonna rain or I’m in a rough sketchy or sporty environment, modern is the only way to go. Hell with the way Rolex is behaving these days, even my modern gmt is becoming a safe queen.

DaveK, Dan S, Omegamania321 and 2 others like this.
  12. septentrio Aug 10, 2018

Great to see you enjoy your beautiful vintage piece day to day. You know, it survived 50 years and is still going strong and looks attractive. It should survive another lifetime with you as well. And worst case you will need to do some reluming or similar after 30 years. It will have served you well and you will be glad to give it the attention it needs, and you will love it for the life you would have spent together, despite the possible decrease in collectors authenticity and originality which will have become of no importance.

Write your own story with your vintage Speedy. It is a quality piece and it will always be repairable.

Simonhedegaard and Marty McDawg like this.
  13. Simonhedegaard Aug 10, 2018

I know a replacement of the bezel is a bit expensive... it haves a really nice fade, but a also a few bumps and dings ;) I have a lot of old Seikos I also use (mostly when it gets “rough”) but also have been using my AP ROC as a daily wearer for the last 6 month :)

I would hate to have a watch that I can’t use daily if I want to :) patina and a few scrathes I can easily live with but my biggest worry was the mechanical inside the watch...

Dan S likes this.
  14. padders Oooo subtitles! Aug 10, 2018

I wear a 145.012-68 as a day to day occasionally but I don’t exactly wrestle bears for a living. I am less keen to expose my Ed White to the risk of paper cuts and chafes from car seat leather etc.

15. optsdan Aug 10, 2018

Will surely turn heads. What a great purchase!

Civic4982 and Simonhedegaard like this.
  16. Simonhedegaard Aug 10, 2018

Thanks !

17. Simonhedegaard Aug 10, 2018

Think I have the same view on whether to wear it, thanks!

stefman likes this.
  18. cristos71 Aug 10, 2018

I wear modern only on holiday when I'm constantly in and out of water, so the rest of the year it's always vintage, be it 1940's/1950's triple dates with all those pesky non-waterproofed cases and multiple pushers, moonwatches, dive watches, dress watches...you name it, but always vintage.

As long as i don't get it wet, don't smash it into something and don't wear a snap back non- waterproof case in 30°c+ temperatures with 90% humidity there shouldn't be a problem.

The point is in the 40's/50's and 60's human hands were doing pretty much the same things that they are still doing today, so be careful but don't lose the fun by worrying too much, otherwise why bother with vintage at all?

DaveK, Benbradstock, felsby and 4 others like this.
  19. sevykor Aug 10, 2018

+1. These are very robust.

20. AdamS Aug 10, 2018

Beautiful watch, doesn't get much better:thumbsup: