Forums Latest Members

145.012 – Opinions on hands / originality much appreciated

1. jtntwozz Jan 7, 2015

Hi guys, long time lurker here but first time posting : )

I recently have gotten the opportunity to purchase a ref. 145.012 – pictures to follow below..

While the asking price is very high, I have been told that this watch is “all original”. This claim seems generally consistent with my own assessment based on my research from online sources.

Would anyone be able to point out where there are possibly replaced / unoriginal parts?

My concerns in particular:

1. Hands Seems correct for this reference (or am I wrong?) although the hands are really, really white – which leads me to suspect that the hands have been replace – any opinion on this?

2. Crystal – I understand the original crystal would have the Omega etching under the crystal – will this be true? I am unable to tell from current pictures

3. Movement – Inconclusive with current photos

Any opinion and other general advice would be much appreciated!
    IMG-20150103-WA0001CR.jpg 2014-12-22 12.34.03CR.jpg 2014-12-22 12.34.17CR.jpg IMG-20150103-WA0002CR.jpg

Edited Jan 7, 2015
  2. lando Jan 7, 2015

I will comment on hands only: I have never seen hands on a 145.012 as white as bleeched teeth and original!

richardew and Spacefruit like this.
  3. Adri Wonders why he can't edit this message Jan 7, 2015

Dial must be a replacement! It's shining like a star;)

Movement looks good.
    Check the movement number if it's fits with manufacture date of the watch.

4. powerfunk Jan 7, 2015

Yeah those hands look just like the fresh new luminova service hands on my Speedy. I actually like the crisp white look, but all- original? Seems doubtful...

5. Adri Wonders why he can't edit this message Jan 7, 2015

I forgot something.... check the glass...in the middle should be a small omega logo

6. pitpro Likes the game. Jan 7, 2015

What is the moveement number, can't read it.
    Looks like it's in the 30's
    and that's not good

7. pitpro Likes the game. Jan 7, 2015

I was going by you thread title. 145.012
    Now see it 145.022, so 30's is OK
    This is going to confuse a lot of people commenting

8. TNTwatch Jan 7, 2015

Looks like 26mil to me. It's cal. 321 so can't be 145.022.

9. TNTwatch Jan 7, 2015

Hands are definitely too new to be original. Dial does not look as new as hands, but still quite new and is possibly earlier replacement. Bracelet has been brushed up recently also. May be a good wearer, but price should reflect the non-original parts.

10. Adri Wonders why he can't edit this message Jan 7, 2015

When it's a 145.022, then should be a cal. 861 in there and should be another second hand (a flat one)

11. jtntwozz Jan 7, 2015

Thanks for the comments and apologies for the confusion guys! It should be a 145.012. Have corrected typo in the original post.

Yes I guess my suspicions on the hands are correct.. I've never seen such gleaming white hands myself either!

On the dial, would you mind elaborating more on how it may not be original? I take your points that the dial looks too clean and new. Anything else wouod point to a replacement dial?

On a seperate note, would a NOS dial look as clean as in my pictures?

Thanks!

12. sulaco Jan 7, 2015

I would say the dial has lost all its lume and there is just the white paint of the 5min markers left.
    Hands are service replacement.
    Bezel looks great thou.

13. TNTwatch Jan 7, 2015

I think the dial's lumes are still there. It could be the picture's exposure and white balance that caused them to look white-out. I'd lean toward the dial is either good shape original or early, not recent, replacement.

14. Adri Wonders why he can't edit this message Jan 7, 2015

Replacement or NOS....

I think on a NOS dial, the lume would be more a kind of crystals and a little bit yellow..

The lume on this dial looks like glue....so i think it's a replacement....

15. sulaco Jan 7, 2015

Still believe its just the white paint you see, the lines are too sharp, the only lume that is left is the one on the dots at 12 o´clock.
    They still look a bit more "3-dimensional" as the rest of the indices, they look flat.
    Also you can see the t swiss t at 6 o´clock

16. mozambique Jan 7, 2015

Bit hard to be sure from the photos, but the dial lume looks two dimensional i.e. lume removed and just painted dial plots remaining

17. TNTwatch Jan 7, 2015

On the 2nd picture, they look quite 3-D from 7 to 12 to my eyes. Early replacement would still have the Ts also.

18. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 7, 2015

I agree the lume's been removed, my old 145.012 was like that, its just the paint on the dial underneath imo

19. jtntwozz Jan 7, 2015

Thanks all....I've been staring at the pics intently for the last 15 mins trying to understand what you all mean about the lume.

What are the implications (1) on dial originality and (2) on the watch in general, if the lume had been removed?

Correct me if I'm wrong but the removal of the lume isn't really indicative of anything....is this the right understanding?

On the other hand, if the lume can be clearly identified on the 5 min indices, we would then have to assess the lume application e.g. if its reapplied or aged nicely....?

And finally, if the lume is aged nicely, I guess that will point to a possibly original dial?

Thanks!

20. sulaco Jan 7, 2015

If the lume is still there and aged nicely, it increases the price.
    if the lume is scratched off it decreases the price.
    if it is a vintage replacement dial without lume it decreases the price.
    If it is a modern service dial it decreases the price siginficantly
    ;):)

TNTwatch, Spacefruit and repoman like this.