Forums Latest Members
  1. ryanv Mar 2, 2018

Hello all,

Brand new to the forum. I've been a member of TZ-UK since '09, but I have a specific Speedmaster question so thought I'd sign up, join the community here and ask the experts.

Anyway, a couple of months ago I bought a head only Speedy Pro and would like to put it on a 1171. I'm trying to decide whether to go new from Omega or pre-owned.

The Omega boutique I'm dealing with says there "a lot of 1171 bracelets in the system", but none are specifically for the Speedmaster. Frankly, I'm not surprised by that answer, but I need the forum's guidance so I don't point the sales rep in the wrong direction.

To the point...

I've seen 1171 bracelets with 633 end links in two types of packaging (a white, hard backed plastic pack OR a clear, vacuum-packed 'bag'). My question - are these the same? Or is the white package the actual one that will fit the Speedy correctly?

Here are pics of the package and my new Speedy on a blue, RAF-style Nato: 1171 white package.jpg 1171 clear package.jpg speedyblue.JPG

nonuffinkbloke likes this.
  2. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 2, 2018

There's only one 1171 bracelet in the system, but with various end links. The 633 end links will work, but may need hand fitting.

Cheers, Al

Foo2rama and nonuffinkbloke like this.
  3. rainking Mar 2, 2018

Al, is there a better end link than 633 for attaching the 1171 to a current (2018) Speedy Pro? I've been kicking around the idea of doing it.

4. ryanv Mar 3, 2018

What should I expect to pay for a new 1171 from Omega? I'm currently based in Europe, and I swear I remember an AD here quoting me something around 600-700 €. So I contacted my local AD back in the US and was told it would only cost $420. Does that sound right?

5. nonuffinkbloke #1 Nigel Mansell Fan Mar 3, 2018

Ahh! Good post mate, and just the answer I was hoping for Al (@Archer):thumbsup:

This is also very interesting to me as I want to take my old 1960's Speedmaster off of it's 1970's 1171/633, and fit a modern Speedmaster onto the bracelet for everyday wear. I am interested to know if it will be a secure fit and would there be any issues regarding wear???

6. nonuffinkbloke #1 Nigel Mansell Fan Mar 3, 2018

Al, when you say "hand fitting" does that involve a degree of adjustment or modification to the 633 end links? Also, on an old 1970's bracelet would the past 'wear and tear' be an issue with regard to secure fit?

Edited Mar 3, 2018
  7. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 3, 2018

No idea - I've only used the 633.

Sorry I have no idea what they are charging in Europe, but the numbers don't sound far off.

It involves a file and a few minutes. Not really sure what you are asking in the second question - if the bracelet is in good shape it should be fine.

Cheers, Al

8. Toishome Mar 3, 2018

I know this is not exactly the answer to you question but I was also having issues fitting a 1171 to ST because the 633 end links were a bit too big. I had read before what Al mentioned about filing them down a bit but I am very useless when it comes to that stuff and didn't want to try that. I figured I would try other end links I had laying around and after trying a bunch of them found that the 677 is a very good fit IMHO.

IMG_5637.JPG IMG_2762.JPG IMG_4824.JPG
    nonuffinkbloke and ConElPueblo like this.
  9. nonuffinkbloke #1 Nigel Mansell Fan Mar 3, 2018

That sounds like a workable option to me. The only thing is I want to retain the whole 1970's bracelet including, if possible, the 633 endlinks. I think my plan of action would involve taking my old 1960's Speedmaster plus my replacement modern Speedmaster to Simon Freese Watchmakers, UK, and asking him if he will do the (bracelet, 'watch head') swap as part of a service on the modern Speedmaster.
    Cheers for the 677 idea!:thumbsup: Lovely pictures @Toishome. Your watch looks very nice on that bracelet and that is pretty much the result I am aiming for.
    Thankyou!

And thankyou to @ryanv for raising the original 1171/633 bracelet question. It's been on my mind for quite a while mate.:)

Edited Mar 3, 2018
    Toishome likes this.
  10. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Mar 3, 2018

I believe the combo with heat sealed package is an older part number no longer in the system that was a combo.

They are separate now in the new packaging.

Don’t ask me why I know this ::rant:

11. nonuffinkbloke #1 Nigel Mansell Fan Mar 3, 2018

That sounds good @Archer.:thumbsup: I think I was just a little concerned that the, fine tolerance, fitting points on a 40+ year old plus bracelet could become worn and insecure. I had my 1171 (with 633 end links) bracelet cleaned and checked by STS (uk) as part of the service last year so I think your "in good shape" comment covered that issue.
    Thankyou Al :)
    20170507_170222-1-1.jpg

Edited Mar 3, 2018