Forums Latest Members
  1. styggpyggeno1 ΩF Enforcer ....and thread killer Jan 29, 2013

I bought this Autavia some years ago (maybe five) and I have always felt a little unsure about the bezel inlay. It does not have a smooth surface - as I think an original would have? In real life it is not as easy to see as in the pictures but anyway...What do you think? The rest of the watch is in pristine condition and my watchmaker thought the movement might be untouched since new.
    regards
    JE

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. ulackfocus Jan 29, 2013

There are a TON of aftemarket replacements for those bezels. Almost all of the original ones are faded or scratched in some way, even if the rest of the watch is mint. I'd be skeptical of it too.

3. Littleroger Jan 29, 2013

Can't be sure based on photos but It looks to me like a newer, low quality aftermarket bezel. Although the Viceroy usually came with a different bezel, this one did exist too so it is possible it's all ok. Try over on onthedash.com

4. styggpyggeno1 ΩF Enforcer ....and thread killer Jan 30, 2013

Thank you both.
    This is not a Viceroy 1163V – it is a 11630MH – a totally different beast (comparable in size to a Seamaster 1000m) and the bezel configuration is correct. The question is about the authenticity of the inlay itself.
    regards
    JE

5. Littleroger Jan 30, 2013

Interesting stuff! I only know the 11630 MH with orange hands with 5 min markers in the right subdial. I have only ever seen an 1163 MH (not the Derek Bell) with red hands and your dial configuration. Still, the bezel looks either painted or aftermarket IMHO.
    Best
    R

6. PaulG Vintage Heuer Connoisseur Jan 30, 2013

That is a lovely example of the 11630MH in the so called Viceroy colour scheme. A couple of points to consider. Firstly, the case, dial and hands are in excellent condition and I would expect the bezel to be the same which it is. Secondly, I doubt very much that these aftermarket inserts we see now were available 5 years ago. And thirdly, original NOS bezels are available. As to the insert the only way to tell is by checking the inside edge, thick and black and a tight fit and its original.
    My personal feeling is that the case is mint and looks original and unpolished and so too is the rest of the watch so why even question the bezel insert for being anything other than original and mint too. This is not uncommon in my experience. What would raise my suspicions would be a well used case, dial and bezel with a mint bezel insert. I would be interested to know why the OP even raises the question in the first place.
    Regards
    Paul
    www.heuerworld.com

7. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Jan 30, 2013

I think because of the uneven surface, as if it was halfway to a crackle finish, best seen in the areas of light reflection in the second and third pic.

8. ulackfocus Jan 30, 2013

It's called stippling in the paint world.

9. styggpyggeno1 ΩF Enforcer ....and thread killer Jan 30, 2013

Thanks LouS - exactly that.
    And thank you Paul for the evaluation of my watch. The part about aftermarket inlays "timeline" makes me much more confident in its authenticity. I know some former owners (which I also trust a lot) of the watch and that puts the time back even further with some years. As LouS kindly helped me explain it was the surface finish that bothered me. With your info I am calmed and I just checked the inside edge with a loup. Black and extremely tight fitting. The thickness is dificult to see without popping the bezel - and with your info I just do not think I need to do it. The surface finish probably just falls into the manufacturing flaws category and maybe the quality control was asleep that day. Or that I am somewhat a-al about things like this. ;)
    I appologize for not being English speaking and having to ask you what "OP" means?
    I attach some more pictures of the watch.
    Kind regards
    JE
    Edit and PS - the problem is exagerated a lot in the pics. You can not see it for the naked eye.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And here is a Heuer I sold long ago but has regretted selling since the moment I did it.

[​IMG]

10. ulackfocus Jan 30, 2013

Original Post or Original Poster - meaning the first post in the thread or the member who started the thread.

11. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Jan 30, 2013

"Original Poster" - the person who started the thread

No problem with your English that I can see. We will bring you up to speed on idiomatic vulgarity and abuse in another few weeks. ;)

12. styggpyggeno1 ΩF Enforcer ....and thread killer Jan 30, 2013

Ahh - I see!

I found an old picture from the former owner of the watch and I do not think he minds me showing it here.

[​IMG]

13. ulackfocus Jan 30, 2013

That's my department. I have a Masters in 4 dialects:Turnpike, Parkway, Schuylkill, and Atlantic City Expressway.

14. Kommis Vintage Omega Connoisseur Jan 30, 2013

Nice one JC! this is mine
    IMG_4059.JPG IMG_5791.JPG IMG_5796.JPG

genepomelo and stefan like this.
  15. Littleroger Jan 30, 2013

Derek says hi. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359584035.735800.jpg

genepomelo likes this.
  16. MyVintageOmega Jan 30, 2013

Internet slang words..... http://www.internetslang.com/list.asp?i=O

17. Kommis Vintage Omega Connoisseur Jan 30, 2013

Some more Heuers Heuer 1.jpg

Heuer 1.jpg Heuer 2.jpg Heuer 1.jpg Heuer 1.jpg Heuer 2.jpg Heuer 3-reg svart.jpg Carrera 1.jpg Heuer Carrera 011.JPG IMG_6279.JPG

genepomelo likes this.
  18. PaulG Vintage Heuer Connoisseur Jan 30, 2013

This discussion seems to have turned into a Heuer appreciation thread and why not. Great selection on show covering a broad date range and some of the many models produced over the years. Back to the bezel, the additional images illustrate the high gloss finish and silver metalic numerals one would expect to see on an original bezel as well as a mint bezel edge. A worn insert would have a worn edge and although you can get a replacement insert, thats not the case the for bezel itself.
    regards
    Paul
    www.heuerworld.com

19. Littleroger Jan 31, 2013

Here are a few that I have/had (yes I regret getting rid of some of them!) 2012-06-24_00151.JPG 2012-06-24_00113.JPG 2012-06-24_00124.JPG 2012-06-24_00080.JPG

Heuer Autavia DBb.JPG

20. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 31, 2013

Seriously cool watches, and going up in value as well. I nearly bought a mint condition Autavia for $500 about 4 years ago but passed on it for a 2225.80 Seamaster, not sure what they're worth exactly now but I'm pretty sure $500 doesn't even come close