Forums Latest Members
  1. müslüm Jan 4, 2017

2. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Jan 4, 2017

It usually helps if you give your own thoughts first.

3. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Jan 4, 2017

4. Faz Jan 4, 2017

My opinion...
    If you're looking to spend thousands on a sub par example...This is the watch for you.

Spacefruit, richardew and gemini4 like this.
  5. repoman Jan 4, 2017

Its late where I am, I'm supposed to be working as I'm still in the office, but I would much rather waste time on OF, so I will comment here. I try and pay attention to some of the people on this forum that I consider saavy collectors (which I am definitely _not_)... and I've learned that after all the analytical side of things (originality of the piece, comparable prices in the market, objective condition, presence of box/papers, yada yada yada), a big part of their decision is also based on how attractive the piece is. It can be completely original, complete, unpolished and still a steaming turd to look at. Ugliness can sometimes be fixed, for a price, but there is no substitute for a watch that is simply original, honest, and beautiful. So, back to this piece, without commenting on the analytics of the watch, I will say that if fails miserably on the attractiveness quotient, and to turn this ugly duckling into a swan would be cost prohibitive, IMHO. I'd keep looking, your swan is out there, and its worth paying a little more (or maybe a lot more) to get it.

6. omegastar Jan 5, 2017

+1 couldn't express it better.

7. richardew Jan 5, 2017

Well, all you need is a better dial, better hands and a less dinged DON bezel. Would like to see better pics of the case too. Although hugly, it has potential at $5k. $3k for parts and you have a reasonable 105.012.

8. Faz Jan 5, 2017

The effort to go through unearthing the enecessary parts to make this a nice watch is worth 3-5 k on its own. Having said that, that exercise is what makes watch collecting what it is but there's a limit.
    Im baffled when a collector says that a "collector grade" watch (Speedmasters in this case) is worth 10k so a ratty watch like the one presented here must be worth 5-7k? Isn't a ratty watch a ratty watch?
    This one will likely go for 7k. Another 5 k in parts and a symbolic 3k for the effort and pain to find decent replacement parts...that adds up to 12k in cash and 3 k in sweat and tears with no guarantee of success.
    In the end, yes, you might have a decent example but it will end up a very expensive put together watch. Even if you find original parts..

9. richardew Jan 5, 2017

However, if you had collected speedy parts before the prices went absolutely nuts, then you are just waiting for a watch like this one.

10. imajedi (not even a padawan) Jan 5, 2017

I kind of like it. Lots of character