Forums Latest Members
  1. josem84 Dec 20, 2017

I'm a long time reader of the site... but I try to stay away from the forums. Too many douchebags around... I have neither the time nor the patience to deal with such people.

murph likes this.
  2. maxbelg Dec 21, 2017

I agree. Furthermore I always think it's impossible to state with certainty that a 50yr old watch is unpolished except in the exceptionally rare case of a single owner who specified no polishing during all services. So better to forgo stating anything about polishing and just describe (with pics) the condition of the case......

red crowned likes this.
  3. Moadib Dec 22, 2017

Viewpoint is totally different, and maybe you experts don't realise how important and impressive those analyses are. I spent a lot of time looking at 321 models (eventually went for a newer one, but still have an interest in the old ones). I didn't spot that wire, and yet when Archer pointed it out it's crazy to me to think HOW I didn't spot that. Seems obvious when pointed out, but I just don't (yet!) have that level of knowing quite how many pitfalls to look for, and how bad they can be. Spending time on this site is a real education, and sometimes the 'Like' button doesn't seem enough in terms of expressing thanks or expressing amazement at the kind of things that get so quickly picked up.

Still nothing to sell :) I'm much more a buyer and keeper than a trader, but I do hope to occasionally express my thanks for the guidance people give here. It must go a long way to keeping Omegas in good condition, not to mention bank balances from being fleeced.

murph, neilfrancis, Aludic and 7 others like this.
  4. Seacow Dec 22, 2017

I always wonder about how big of an effect of polished case can change collector's decision to purchase.

Like old Tudor sub and Mil seamaster 300, people will still pay big money even the case condition is poor.

But on normal rolex sub and speedmaster it can be 1k to 3k value difference between polished and unpolished example...

5. kreyke Dec 24, 2017

After I got my first speedmaster, which is in a decent condition I think (or hope), I became really astute with the other speedmasters I look at. I turn away from polished cases even though the price is really decent. Cases have been a big factor for me in deciding a purchase. Unpolished cases are even more charming in real life than in macro photos.

Maybe it is just me but bevels bevels bevels.

6. Moadib Dec 25, 2017

I listened to the Time4APint podcast interviewing William of Speedmaster101 (WELL worth a listen). He made a point that the last 10% in quality of a watch doesn't make 10% difference in price - it might make double the price. In the past I'm not sure I would have got that, but I think now more and more I'm understanding that.

I have a few watches I would love to own, and even in this week I've seen examples of them on a couple of forums, but didn't pull the trigger because the condition was not commensurate with the price. OTOH if I saw one come up and the condition was nigh perfect....I wouldn't say price doesn't matter, but it matters a lot less. You don't have to mentally deduct for dings or wrong parts, and you know you won't be kicking yourself if a perfect example comes up in a month or two.

7. maxbelg Jan 8, 2018

You turn away from cases that you can SEE have been polished. However if polishing is done correctly (For example polishing by Rolex during a service) it can be impossible to be certain that a case has been polished. As a matter of fact all cases were polished before selling them new in the first place, maintaining all bevels. Therefore I think that describing a vintage watch as unpolished is only possible if you have owned it since new and have never had it serviced, or specified no polishing at every service. I think we all agree that watches which have been visibly polished decrease value!

8. Watching Jan 8, 2018

This watch does not feel good to me. Unpolished? Definitely not. See the back. I have been looking for years before I finally found my 321 Speedy. Remember: it is the hunt that makes the passion worth and appreciated! Very good of you to post a link and get some info. I am so amazed by comments like Archer that spots these little details! very valuable!

9. Watching Jan 8, 2018

This is what you are looking for... (sorry, not for sale).

IMG_4833.JPG
    KstateSkier, Moadib, murph and 3 others like this.
  10. maxbelg Jan 10, 2018

This is what I'm also looking for........

11. Watching Jan 10, 2018

I Understand! It took me quite some time before I realized that this watch, that I bought 10 yrs ago, in this state (100% original and as it seems unpolished) is quite unique for at 105.012! However, since it is so unique, I do not wear this one anymore....

maxbelg likes this.
  12. Nla91 Jan 11, 2018

Then you need patience and luck. Looks really nice.

13. maxbelg Jan 11, 2018

.......and money.

Moadib and Nla91 like this.
  14. Moadib Jan 11, 2018

Well, if you have enough luck maybe money can be less!