Forums Latest Members
  1. zwjk Sep 20, 2018

Hello,

Have to make this quick because I am at work.

I am looking for some advice on this Speedmaster that has been offered to me. Below what has come up from my research:

- 24 million so should be correct for a 105.012 (serial is 24,014,XXX).
    - However it has an Ed White 105.003 dial which is not correct.
    - Case back is service.

So I have concluded that it either has the wrong dial or it has a wrong case.

Seller is asking around $5K USD - I have to be quick so I don't have time for an archives search at the moment. What do you guys think?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Edited Sep 20, 2018
  2. ndgal Sep 20, 2018

It’s a Franken, but has value in the parts.
    Question is what are you planing on doing with it?
    Wear and enjoy? Flip?

If looking to wear, would you be happy with a Franken?

3. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Sep 20, 2018

$5k doesn’t buy you much.

And this isn’t much.

Without seeing inside you haven’t got a lot of upside on view.

What makes you think it’s an EW dial? Can you see a step? The downside is it’s a re lumed service dial.

The case back is a single step. It also looks very fresh. I wonder if it’s a service case back. A single step back is too late for this serial.

The mid case looks like an HF and the pushers are thin necks , so service.

It’s possible the movement is not a speedmaster movement so then you really have to wonder if there’s any value in this at all.

4. boogedyboo Sep 21, 2018

Service EW dial, service hands, service pushers/crown, possible service caseback.

Not that worthwhile.

5. Fost Sep 21, 2018

I hope the seller told you the dial is a modern relumed dial at least otherwise at would not even think at what is wrong or good in this watch ..

6. Davidt Sep 21, 2018

Given the service (but relumed) dial, pulsometer bezel, box, the fact the pictures are taken from a distance etc I'd say this is being sold with at least a slight intent to deceive as its presents as a better, more original offering that it is.

A straight service dial and modern bezel is fair enough at a certain price, but to relume the dial and put on a pulso bezel when not everyone knows how to differentiate modern from vintage, gets me wondering.

airansun and murph like this.
  7. Benny57 Sep 24, 2018

i'd avoid it if there's some doubts. Prefer everything to be period correct.... keeps the value

8. Screwbacks Sep 24, 2018

pricewise, it's already a warning.