Forums Latest Members
  1. DLT222 Double D @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 1, 2016

So a few months back I stumbled across an eBay ad with really crap photos...

I messaged the seller and asked a few questions etc like what the end link numbers were, you know, the usual easy questions to get answers to.

He said to me the watch was in pawn and he needed to travel to take further photos in order for me to 'make my own mind up' on the watch.

Ebay Listing pics...

$_57-3.JPG $_57-4.JPG $_57-5.JPG

Any way, to cut a long story short i took the bull by the horns and sent the guy some cash via bank transfer to retrieve it from pawn on his assurance that he would post it to me as soon as he had it.

As sure as hell, he was a man of his word and a day later the watch arrived with a little note...

He writes 'I have had the watch from new, it was bought in Geneva in 1964 along with a Seamaster which i wear daily, the watch has been in a drawer for years and years as it stopped working'.

He had it serviced in 1978 where the case back was 'misplaced' and a 145.012-68 case back was put on it instead.

He writes further 'I also have the original papers and box in my house somewhere but since my wife passed away i have no idea where she has hidden them, I will endeavour to find them and send them on to you.'

When it arrived it was sent to the guys at STS for a little spa treatment, under strict instructions not to polish the case or change the dial etc etc and especially that bezel.

7 weeks later it came back running like a dream. I found a correct 64 case back from a member here and swapped the 68 for it as he needed the 68 case back I had thanks @Ash . It also has the correct 1506/16 bracelet.

Now my dilemma begins...

I don't wear it hardly ever in fear of losing it or dinging it....

DO I SELL IT?

How it looks now

IMG_5971.JPG IMG_5969.JPG

IMG_5970.JPG IMG_5968.JPG
    Edited Sep 1, 2016
    Georgieboy58, Dash1, sambvca and 8 others like this.
  2. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Sep 1, 2016

nice blue! wear the darn thing Darren!

Jwit and Dgercp like this.
  3. fibonacci086 Sep 1, 2016

What a beauty and that bezel :eek:

4. ATWG Sep 1, 2016

It's all about the chase, I have been in similar situations thinking that the piece I have was too good to sell to find out later that I was not totally satisfied with what I had....the fact that you're thinking about it says it all to me.

5. DLT222 Double D @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 1, 2016

I think I've worn it 4 times since I bought it - I sometimes wonder if I'm over the watch thing lol

tyrantlizardrex likes this.
  6. ulackfocus Sep 1, 2016

From my experience (and I have more than a little in this department), if you're thinking of selling you should just sell it. There's always another watch to buy.

tyrantlizardrex likes this.
  7. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Sep 1, 2016

well, if you're not wearing it, then sell it on to someone that will... ;)

I'd just put it in rotation and give it some wrist time.

8. Maybe Sep 1, 2016

Looks good! You have a story with it, plenty of luck finding the caseback. I mean, why not make it the cornerstone in a beautiful collection!

9. jens0125 knows that watches were made to be worn Sep 1, 2016

i would not sell... even if you dont wear... that is going to be worth some major coin in a few years...
    bezel is killer for sure

10. DLT222 Double D @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 1, 2016

You see Dennis, I just think to my self... Will I find another?

11. Chye Sep 1, 2016

"I don't wear it hardly ever in fear of losing it or dinging it...."

For me, if I find myself not wearing a wear, for whatever reasons, it's got to go.
    Otherwise, it's just a nice paperweight, an ornamental piece...

12. DLT222 Double D @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 1, 2016

I will also add there was not a single bidder on it on eBay.

13. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Sep 1, 2016

Very nice find.
    Astute restoration.
    Is that corrosion I see in the case back? Possibly why the back was lost - it was too corroded?
    Marvelous blue bezel.
    Original pushers I think.
    Aged dial but attractive. matching aged hands.
    Great history, and the chance of some papers.
    Should you sell?
    Well if you are in the business of selling watches it would be hard to resist a profit.
    If you are a collector, then this very much is the kind of piece I would keep. Primarily because of the known history.
    I do identify with that urge to crystallize a profit - however when its gone its gone.
    One little nagging thought. If it was bought in 1964 then the chances are it could be a -64, or it could be a -63.
    Whats the serial?
    I can just see the T SWISS MADE T so its not an early -63, but could it be a later one? It doesn't change the attraction but the inner anorak in me is curious!

Larry S and traf like this.
  14. sky21 Sep 1, 2016

What an amazing story, and that blue bezel is mesmerizing!! Very cool that some hazy eBay photos and sending money up front worked out so great for you. I'm sure you will be receiving quite a few PM's with offers very quickly and if you're not going to wear it I would pass it along to someone who will. Wish I could afford to buy it from you myself but I'm sure you will have no shortage of people with cash in hand ready to go. Good luck whatever you decide to do.

Jwit likes this.
  15. cristos71 Sep 1, 2016

Sell it if you need the cash, otherwise keep hold of it. That's (one of) the great thing about collecting watches, they don't take up so much space!

Jwit, bazamu and gemini4 like this.
  16. Clibka Sep 1, 2016

I think the story you shared on how you acquired it is the more exciting part of the watch. Taking a leap of faith based upon sub par images and having the gamble pay off. With that being said keeping it in your collection might preclude you from going on another adventure to find another great story. As atwg said, "it's all about the chase" and I couldn't have said it better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. ATWG Sep 1, 2016

DITTO!! Thank god I'm not the only one whose mind wonders to the dark side...

18. traf Sep 1, 2016

Gorgeous piece Darren. Awesome story too. I'd hang on to her because like you said, will there be another? The quantity of nice vintage out there isn't getting better with time [emoji16]

Sent from my  iPhone 7 using Tapatalk

19. DLT222 Double D @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 1, 2016

Serial checked against MWO 20527xxx Dates it to 64. Clasp stamped 1/64

Cannot see corrosion? If you mean round the pusher its dirt I've just 'budded' it off. Guess they missed that on the service in cleaning. Pushers are correct yes.

20. DLT222 Double D @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 1, 2016

Edited Sep 1, 2016