Forums Latest Auctions Members
  1. Spacefruit

Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Dec 13, 2014

I have acquired this dial and would like your opinions please?

As with all dials, this one looks better in the metal than in the photos. The marks are not at all obvious.

My primary concern, is it entirely genuine?

Don't hold back....(you know I wouldn't.)

PC130001.jpg PC130005.jpg PC130008.jpg PC130011.jpg PC130014.jpg PC130015.jpg PC130016.jpg

2. michael e

michael e Dec 13, 2014

I have never noticed the lines on the sub dials going up the edges before on other dials I have seen.
    Thanks Mick

3. JohnSteed

JohnSteed Dec 13, 2014

One of your Italian sourced dials ?

;)

Well, I like the hour plots, even in appearance but ... Smudges at 4 5 and 10 begs the question was it refurbished

Non Pro and Ts so an EdWhite

4. dennisthemenace

dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! Dec 13, 2014

Minute subdial looks like it's been repaired otherwise looks good.

5. shaun hk

shaun hk Fairy nuffer Dec 14, 2014

What is the that between 1 and 2 markers on the hours subdial?

6. JimInOz

JimInOz "Helpful Hints from Heloise" of bracelet cleaning. Dec 14, 2014

As a pure novice on these items, my take is that cooking has caused some spatter from the 5 minute lume markers, notably on the seconds subdial at centre and above the 20, and a spot above the chrono minute at about 27.5. and a couple of other spots.

markers on two of the subbies appear to climb over the edge.

My opinion, in no way qualified to provide expert judgement but offered for consideration.

Cheers

Ji

7. watchyouwant

watchyouwant ΩF Clairvoyant Dec 14, 2014

not sure.....the circular pattern inside the subdials is smeared with too much paint..... kind regards. achim

8. Spacefruit

Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Dec 14, 2014

I appreciate all opinions. I am still unsure what i think...

9. mozambique

mozambique Dec 14, 2014

An interesting dilemma, to which the answer will always remain unknown. Obviously there may be value implications if the general conclusion was that it was refinished, and any future buyer might conclude the same. But magnifying 10x makes imperfections stand out which when viewed with the naked eyes are imperceptible. I guess my point is that if it looks correct when sitting on your wrist, then that should be 99% a great result. Of course, that 1% of doubt is what gnaws at the soul :) I often wonder about hands which seem to quite frequently have a different patina to the dial plots. Are these hands really original, or are we just so used to looking at watches which had the hands replaced 30 years ago?

timeismoney and Spacefruit like this.
  10. TNTwatch

TNTwatch Dec 15, 2014

I've seen pictures of pro dials with the climbing markers on subdials like this. Pretty subtle, but they are there. Doesn't look like a redial so my guess is it could either be a variant or a reject that somehow has sneaked out.

11. ashleysteadman

ashleysteadman Dec 16, 2014

I'm no expert either but I agree with Jim - I've seen that extreme brown patina on cooked dials and the charring on the back would seem to back that up!