Forums Latest Members
  1. skipper May 21, 2018

Hello everybody, been a while since I've posted on OF, classic cars been taking most of my spare time (and money...).

I'm trying to decide what to do with my 105.003-65. After buying the watch a few years back, I've been on the lookout for a nice, genuine pre-pro dial for it, it currently has a lumi pro service dial, which I really don't like.

But alas, up to the point that I was actively looking, which I reckon was up to around 18 months ago, I failed to find anything suitable for a realistic price. I'm now at a bit of a crossroads with this watch, prices obviously have risen further, I'm kicking myself now for not buying one of the 'expensive' ones a couple of years ago. So, keep waiting until one pops up that hasn't been got at / 'improved', fit a genuine pre pro service dial with applied logo (circa 350 gbp), or break the watch for parts. Thoughts? Spec below if it helps anyone offer an opinion.

Polished case/lugs, not ridiculously so but certainly not NOS crisp, nice 105.003-65 CB with good hippocampus
    24.9m serial no. Movement is complete and running, but is about 12 sec/day out, needs a service really.
    1035 expanding link bracelet (1/67) with genuine No.6 EL's
    Very nice DON
    Pro service dial with lumi hands
    Original (slightly taller) inner box with reasonable condition outer box, and Speedy booklet.

2. padders Oooo subtitles! May 21, 2018

Interesting dilemma. Personally I wouldn't waste money putting a modern service dial on it, either find a 60s Pre-Pro dial or sell it. By the way the -65 cases weren't made by CB, no one as yet really knows who made them but it wasn't CB and the logo in the caseback is quite different.

BTW your post has the feel of a stealth sales post, you may or may not be aware that you aren't entitled to sell on here without getting it cleared with a mod so this thread may disappear.

3. skipper May 21, 2018

Thanks for prompt reply. Sorry, when I said CB, I meant case back... that will teach me to abbreviate!

I'm inclined to think the same way, as by the time you've also sourced some correct service hands, and had them fitted, you're probably over 500 gbp and it will still glow in the dark...

4. speedamatuer May 21, 2018

If you're looking to keep rather than sell you might be able to get a service dial relumed to fit the aesthetic more? Could improve enjoyment without shelling out for a vintage dial, but won't help with the value if you're looking to sell it.

padders likes this.
  5. skipper May 21, 2018

Do you mean as in 'aged' luminova or some other substance? Thanks

6. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia May 21, 2018

7. skipper May 21, 2018

Thanks, I'll give them a shout. Is circa 1500 usd the going rate now for a reasonable pre-pro dial now, albeit one with washed lume markers?

8. JustTheBezel May 21, 2018

Expect to pay about that for anything you'd want to put on your watch. Another possibility could be finding an original correct dial that has been scraped or has lost most of its lum and have the indices refinished and your hands done to match. As long as you disclose to any future buyers the work was done, you aren't hurting anyone, and it would look great if you have it done by a talented dial guy. I know a great one if you're interested.

9. JimJupiter May 21, 2018

1.500$ is the lower end for Pre Pro dials. Had to learn that myself :D

Nico

10. bags1971 May 21, 2018

have to agree there i got lucky when i bought one its the one in my avatar and it has been relumed

11. ndgal May 21, 2018

But what is a thread with no pictures??

12. skipper May 22, 2018

Not much to show really as they're just parts in containers, but this was the watch when it still had its original dial & hands:

[​IMG]

13. skipper May 22, 2018

Not having much luck with images...!

Lets try this...

[​IMG]

Edited May 22, 2018
  14. bags1971 May 22, 2018

[​IMG][/QUOTE]

what happened to the original dial