Forums Latest Members
  1. gophishin Jan 9, 2015

http://www.analogshift.com/products/omega-speedmaster-105-003-63-ed-white

I'm almost hesitant to post this because it's from a dealer, and I know a million of these threads get started, but I was hoping it might help from an educational standpoint. I know with most these earlier Speedys, there's a lot of discussion regarding the lume and color of indices and their patina or lack thereof. This example, although clearly well used, seems to check out on most levels, serial dates to 63, correct hands, close T SWISS MADE T, etc. What's odd to me is that for a dial that has some patina on it, the indices are so stark white. I'm not sure if it's just the particular pictures, or if they have been cleaned. I'd be curious to hear the thoughts from you all and your trained eyes. What is it that you look for in making these determinations or is there anything that stands out? Thanks!

2. mozambique Jan 9, 2015

The dealer states that:
    'Luminescent plots have long since surrendered!'
    This confirms your observation that the dial plots look very white i.e. all the lume has been removed leaving the white painted plot markers underneath. The lume cannot be cleaned. The dial has some patchy discolouration which makes me wonder about water ingress (that could account for the premature degradation and removal of the lume). Overall, not very pretty and no lume would make this a poor buy for most collectors. Case back is a bit beaten up. Would definitely want to see movement photos re. possibility of water entry. There are better examples out there, just need to be patient.

3. bill5959 Jan 9, 2015

This also has an incorrect sweep hand and paint chipping. I agree that water is abig concern.

4. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Jan 9, 2015

This is an unoriginal watch prepared for sale.

It's had a lot of work done, and while it is present and mostly correct, it doesn't "feel" original to me, it's been prepared.

The dial is scraped, the chrono hand is incorrect but as it matches the others I suspect they were all replaced some time ago when the dial was done. I think the hands were re painted, and now this paint is coming off, in an unattractive way. All the white is too white throughout the dial and handset. So some while ago this watch was serviced, perhaps restored.

Now this is just my personal opinion and I don't say you have to like what I like, but I would get no pleasure from owning this watch.

5. gophishin Jan 9, 2015

Thank you all, I didn't catch that the bottom of the sweep hand is flat, I had just noticed it was a spear. And you all confirmed the suspicions I had on water damage and that the plots are too white. I appreciate the info and lesson, it's very helpful.

6. g-boac Jan 10, 2015

punt this one!!! as strong as possible!

20081011_Zoltan_Mesko_in_action.jpg