Forums Latest Members
  1. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Dec 13, 2018

Not being able to afford thousands of dollars for a real 1039, I was able to buy a similar-looking flat-link bracelet from eBay seller "squinky" aka Bill Mahoney. A British eBay seller provided 516-type endlinks. I had an Omega clasp-cover of the same type found on a 1039. Put all together and handed to my favorite watchmaker, and this is what I have:

IMG_0026.jpeg

Not perfect, but close, so for a few hundred rather than a couple thousand, I have a nice bracelet to wear on my WatchCo Seamaster 300 .

Note that there is no intent at deception. I wanted something that looked close to original without spending as much as a decent used car. A civilian wouldn't pay more than $50 for this bracelet, if even that, and people like you would know it's not real.

I just think it looks nice.

Tom

2. sennevervoort Dec 13, 2018

Looks good!

3. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Dec 13, 2018

As your SM300 appears to be a WatchCo, why bother installing a real bracelet on a put together watch.

Dero13, sjg22, Lazy_Lightning and 4 others like this.
  4. kingsrider Thank you Sir! May I have another? Dec 13, 2018

Interesting. I have seen that Ebay listing for this bracelet as well. I just read the text part of the listing. I thought it was a 1039 replica. It really is a Flat Link generic. Your pic looks more like a 1035 (18mm?) where the end link meets the bracelet.
    It does look good.

5. kingsrider Thank you Sir! May I have another? Dec 13, 2018

Let's see the clasp.

6. JohnSteed Dec 13, 2018

Well @gemini4 seems it/s a match, watchco and squinky bracelet. Nice presentation just the same @VetPsychWars

7. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Dec 13, 2018

IMG_0028.jpeg

Originally I didn't include it because the picture wasn't as good, but if someone asked, as you did....

Tom

8. ext1 Dec 13, 2018

I remember before some people were curious to the quality of these Squinky bracelets. How would you rate them?

9. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Dec 13, 2018

End links are solid and centers are folded. I'm happy with it and have no concerns about it lasting... but also! I wash my stainless waterproof watches and bracelets with a brush and Dawn every so often to clean out the gunk and make them gleam. They'll last forever as long as you keep them clean.

Tom

ext1 likes this.
  10. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Dec 13, 2018

Anecdote: I bought a used Tessueflex bracelet on eBay. These, like Evinger, are expandable mesh bracelets. Very nicely made.

This bracelet was so packed with "dirt" (I hate to think how much of it was rotting skin cells). I soaked this bracelet in ammonia for a long time, scrubbing, rinsing with very hot tap water. If it were any other bracelet, it would have been worn to junk years ago.

In this case, it was merely disgusting and I skipped dinner that night.

Wash your bracelets. If you're worried about your watch, take the bracelet off or have it pressure-tested. But I've been washing my (former) Speedmaster and Seamasters like this for ages, and my watchmakers have all approved because they see no issues inside my watches and know what happens to bracelets when you do not keep them clean.

Tom

11. brinsmead Dec 15, 2018

Oh well. In a few years new prospective owners won’t know the difference….forget about the real thing !

12. dantheman3u4i Dec 15, 2018

Looks great!

13. Picassovegas Apr 26, 2020

Tom what is a Tessueflex bracelet? I couldn't find it on the internet nor in "Sold" history of Ebay.

Angelo

JwRosenthal likes this.
  14. JwRosenthal Apr 26, 2020

Just a note on anyone who wants to scream “fake” on a bracelet like this- I have a period flatlink on my SM120 that was made by JB Champion- there were other flatlink makers at the time. Also lest we forget the love for the current Forstner and Uncle Seiko Holzer...it’s nice to have options for those of us who appreciate period style and feel but can’t justify spending as much on a bracelet as we do for a watch.

Picassovegas and Shabbaz like this.
  15. Picassovegas Apr 26, 2020

Can we see your flat link?

16. JwRosenthal Apr 26, 2020

E126F23A-4801-46BE-A174-D76FB967C85B.jpeg

sonicosa likes this.
  17. Socks Apr 26, 2020

Haven’t a problem with these bracelets, just not sure about merging it with an omega clasp. I think all’s fine if there is no intent to deceive in the future.

JwRosenthal likes this.
  18. JwRosenthal Apr 26, 2020

My JBC actually came with an Omega beauty cover engraved with the original owners initials (the inner clasp is still JB). I was tempted to put a JB clasp on it but the engraved Omega clasp is part of the watches history so decided to keep it.

Socks likes this.