Forums Latest Members
  1. g-boac Dec 6, 2013

Anybody ever adjusted or repaired your 1039 / 1506 / 7912 bracelet clasps? I've enjoyed wearing mine 1039 for about a year and a half and the clasp has always closed tightly and with a click. About a week ago, it simply let go and opened under its own weight. Occasionally I can get it to snap closed, but not as firmly as before. . .and just as often it pops open with little effort or on its own. I'm not sure what's going on, the clasp doesn't appear deformed or bent, and I haven't dropped, snagged, or otherwise had any sort of "sudden" event with the watch. It's just not grasping tightly over the lip like it used to.

Anybody have any similar experiences - particularly with adjusting or repairing? I suspect I might be able to adjust the clasp by bending it, but I'd like to ask first and be careful, so that I don't make things worse or score or put tool marks onto the clasp needlessly.

thanks,
    Mark

2. M'Bob Dec 7, 2013

Very gently bend the section that sits between the outer clasp, and the one that touches the wrist. This will tighten it.

Eve, Meelypops and THE_BARCODE_GUY like this.
  3. M'Bob Dec 7, 2013

Let me clarify: put more bend in that section, not less.

4. wwhntr Dec 7, 2013

No, you need to straighten very slightly the part of the clasp that touches your wrist.

M'Bob likes this.
  5. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Dec 7, 2013

Bend in the direction of the arrow.

IMG_4827.JPG

Bumper and oddboy like this.
  6. M'Bob Dec 7, 2013

Sorry to disagree, but one does not need to bend those tabs. And normally, you don't want to change the curvature of the piece that touches the wrist, although if you think about it, you are effectively accomplishing the same thing.

7. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Dec 9, 2013

Have to agree with M'Bob. Give a gentle slight increase of the curvature to the blade that lies under the clasp when folded. By giving it just a little bit more curve it shortens the length of the blade and makes the clasp hold on tighter. I have done this to a Rolex Jubilee bracelet with success. I assume no responsibility for your bracelet! Proceed at your own risk!

Littleroger, Darlinboy and TLIGuy like this.
  8. pitpro Likes the game. Dec 10, 2013

+1

9. g-boac Mar 17, 2014

Thanks again for the replies here. To close the loop on this, the advice offered by M'Bob, wwhntr, Time Exposure, and pitpro is absolutely correct, and worked for me. The amount of bend you need to put into the clasp is almost imperceptible - yet it makes a big difference.

Also, here is a set of vintage instructions (albeit for a Rolex Jubilee bracelet), that I came across this past weekend explaining how to do exactly this: "How to adjust the 'snap' of the clasp".

Perhaps there was something similar from Omega?

cheers,
    Mark

Vintage Rolex Bracelet Clasp Instructions - 1.jpg Vintage Rolex Bracelet Clasp Instructions - 2.jpg
  10. esspee1200 Mar 21, 2014

very good post here!

11. Mathlar Jun 14, 2014

Indeed! Definitely worthy of a like. Just discovered this and now my 1039 is firmly fixed to my wrist once more! :)

12. THE_BARCODE_GUY Feb 10, 2017

Reviving the dead here but this tip worked like a charm, thanks! @M'Bob

M'Bob likes this.
  13. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Feb 10, 2017

14. hillbillylawyer Jul 23, 2017

Another 1039 snaps right because of this thread. Sweet!

oddboy likes this.
  15. KJH666 Jul 24, 2017

Excellent thread this, my bracelet is a little on the spongy side and I was thinking about the best way to tighten the click of the clasp without causing any damage. Thanks guys.

16. Marsimaxam Aug 28, 2020

Thank you. I did a search for how to tighten the 1039 clasp... worked like a charm. My first thought was to bend the edges of the clasp itself and I could see the other way is much easier and safer.