Forums Latest Members
  1. Richardadelberg Apr 27, 2019

completely restored piece runs spot on in timegrapher when manually wound. Will not auto wind on wrist, two diff types of winders! Rotor moves freely with back off and no marks on inside of back. Why won’t it auto wind?

2. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Apr 27, 2019

Photos might help the watchmakers on the board. Otherwise, you're asking them to be clairvoyant.

3. Richardadelberg Apr 27, 2019

4. Richardadelberg Apr 27, 2019

Is there anything other then the rotor not turning freely in case that could cause it not to auto wind. I’ve tried two types of winder BD17F80A-1CD2-4B14-A053-0125A50F7754.jpeg

E343FC13-CCE1-4365-9644-EFDF6BE77CFF.jpeg 39BFB8F8-11B4-45E2-8D7E-C6802ECCED3C.jpeg
  5. Dan S Apr 27, 2019

Yes, there could be other problems in the auto-winding mechanism.

6. 77deluxe Apr 27, 2019

Sounds like a job for a watchmaker. Could be many things causing the problem, ranging from simple to complex. Did you have it restored or did you buy it as restored and serviced?

7. Richardadelberg Apr 27, 2019

I bought it as totally restored from a watchmaker I’ve bought a dozen pieces from. I sent it back once and it returned after 2 months exactly the same issue. He’s out of the country so shipping is a customs pita. I do some services on low beat 56x but don’t play with any of omega hi beat pieces. Winds fine manually just not on wrist or winder. I have several watches with same movement so I suppose I could swap out the automatic sections and see if problem follows the parts or not

89-0 and 77deluxe like this.
  8. ChrisN Apr 28, 2019

It seems you're comfortable with taking the back off and even some movement work so:

With the back off hold the watch upright with the rotor weight at the lower - let's say at 12 O'Clock high. Slowly rotate the watch in each direction and watch the rotor. It should stay basically still as the case rotates so, it's always hanging straight down. That's the first basic test to see if the rotor is free and the auto wind is not catching. Does it pass that?

Do this test with the watch let down (no charge in the mainspring) and then wind it a dozen turns of the crown and try again. When there is some charge in the mainspring, it may not be as free.

Cheers, Chris

Edited Apr 28, 2019
  9. Richardadelberg Apr 28, 2019

Nope the rotor doesn’t stay at the bottom it turns with the watch unless I move it.

10. Canuck Apr 28, 2019

A NOT completely restored piece, sounds like. Two options. Take it somewhere and get someone to fix it, or return it to the guy who supposedly fixed it. On this movement, the ratchet wheel fits beneath the wheel that drives it. Someone who is not familiar with this movement might well have positioned the auto wind unit so that the ratchet wheel is ON TOP of the gear that drives it, and buttoned it down. Worth a look.

Archer likes this.
  11. ChrisN Apr 28, 2019

You are now looking at dismantling parts.

My opinion as well.

Cheers, Chris

12. Richardadelberg Apr 28, 2019

The guys sells hundreds of these movements restored a month . Montre48 eBay. He’s normally very good as I have a dozen of his watches same movements.
    I took the rotor off, center bearing, auto bridge and just took a tiny bit off the two screws that hold the auto wks together. If this doesn’t wk I’ll strip clean and reassemble it. I was mindful to slip the gear inbeteeen the others when putting the bridge back on. The rotor seems to be free now . I’ll give it a try before taking the gears apart

13. Canuck Apr 28, 2019

Perhaps he has several outside shops doing work for him, and the one that worked on yours, goofed!

14. Richardadelberg Apr 28, 2019

Yup I think he has a lot of these done in s Korea . It’s just a tad off if I shake the case just a bit rotor moved around. Sometimes even without now. There’s some resistance and it could be in any of those gears or pivots . I think the auto works will need to be stripped and cleaned. Must have a piece of lint or dirt someplace .

15. Dan S Apr 28, 2019

A.k.a. Vividlily, I believe. Definitely a huge operation.