Forums Latest Members

100 years old and still counting

1. John Chris Il Duca de Luca Apr 9, 2015

I have posted this information before, but again we have reached the anniversary of the Battle of Vimy Ridge, now a century ago. Same as this watch!

As most of you know no doubt know, Mr. Hans Wilsdorf, a German-born transplant to England, and Mr. Alfred James Davis, founded the Wilsdorf & Davis Watch Co. in London in 1905. In 1908, they registered the trade name "Rolex", and in 1915, when WW1 had made German names anathema to watch-buyers of the British Empire, they changed the name of their company to The Rolex Watch Co., Ltd.

Throughout, they used movements manufactured by the firm of Aegler, S.A. of Biel (Bienne), Switzerland, which Rolex eventually acquired, and which still makes Rolex's movements, though now in-house.

The watch illustrated below has an enamel dial in a sterling silver case (the steel of its day) hallmarked 1914. It is marked inside the caseback both "W&D", for Wilsdorf & Davis, and "Rolex", being the trade name then employed. W&D then distributed throughout Great Britain, Europe and the British Empire (not to the USA), and this one was shipped to Australia where, on December 3, 1915, it was given to A. H. Lawler by his buddies in New South Wales, on his departure for the front. It hosts the 13 ligne 15 jewel (higher grade) Rebberg movement produced for Rolex by Aegler. It still keeps excellent time a century later.

A. H. Lawler was a 24-yr-old coal miner who probably thought this was a good way out. He was wrong. He joined the Australia Imperial Force, and took ship from Sidney to Alexandria, to Marseille -- just in time for the Somme Offensive of 1916. This ill-planned strategy accomplished nothing, but there were 20,000 Aussie casualties in a week at the Battle of Pozieres, including Mr. Lawler. He must have left his watch at home with his young widow, and it eventually found its way to me.

The battle of Vimy Ridge was fought on April 9, 1915 over a piece of topography that the Allied Imperial Command though important to capture. The French tried and failed to take it. The British tried and failed to take it. So they sent in the cannon fodder - the Canadians - and those boys took it. Thousands died, of course, and who knows now what good it did militarily, but it was a milestone in the building of the Canadian nation. So for them, for Mr. Lawler, and all who died so bravely in that appalling conflict, SALUT!

And to Rolex, for a watch still keeping good time after a century - well done!

I expect this to be my last post about this storied watch. Any interested might keep their eyes on the "for sale" forum in a bit.

RolexT1.jpg RolexTengr.jpg Rolex Tbackin.jpg Rolex Tmvm.jpg

Mothra, RLC, quito and 5 others like this.
  2. Frunkinator Keep tickin & tockin, work it all around the clock Apr 9, 2015

Keep the story going! That is one bad ass watch ;)

3. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Apr 9, 2015

RLC and styggpyggeno1 like this.
  4. John Chris Il Duca de Luca Apr 9, 2015

Thanks for that Jim. Isn't the Internet a wonderful thing? I've often wondered if there are any relatives of Arthur Lawler left in Oz - obviously not direct descendants, but great-nieces or nephews perhaps? Anyway, happy to share the (hi)story.

5. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Apr 9, 2015

Reading through his records was very sobering. A young 25 year old coal miner from Australia probably thought it'd be a huge adventure.

(Didn't we all at that age).

Only to be Killed In Action less than a year after joining.

There may be descendants, but finding them would require a fair amount of research through genealogy websites which now cost a fortune.

6. Drawarms Apr 9, 2015

amazing story.

7. flw history nerd Apr 11, 2015

Outstanding history lesson ... And you can take my word for it - I'm a history teacher.

I often find that it's the stories told at ground level, such as this one, that really resonate with my students - not just the textbook stuff. The watch, by the way, is an excellent example of the kind of physical artifact that also makes history more real to young people who live overwhelmingly for the present moment.

Thanks for this!

8. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Apr 11, 2015

salut indeed. salut!

9. RLC Apr 17, 2015

John,

Thank's for posting.

Let us not forget....

Found this note in the breast pocket of Dad's Dress Uniform as I prepared it for his Funeral....Major Army WW2.

Bob
    Semper fi

DO THINGS EVER REALLY CHANGE.jpg
    Edited Apr 17, 2015
    OMGRLX and Nobel Prize like this.
  10. John Chris Il Duca de Luca Apr 20, 2015

Thanks, Bob - How sadly true.