Forums Latest Members

10 New Nomos Watches Released

1. Modest_Proposal Trying too hard to be one of the cool kids Oct 8, 2015

To be fair, only two of the watches are from their new "Minimatik" line. The other eight fall within their already available lines, with several noticeable differences.

1. All of the watches are part of the "neomatik" superline. Even the Minimatik, which was at first signed as such is now signed "Neomatik", thought the specific line is still "Minimatik".

2. The Nomos Metro automatic is 35mm (!!). Their older manual wind version is 37-38mm, so this is a downsize.

In fact, all ten of the released watch are 35mm. I am very pleased. It is important to note that Nomos already had automatic versions of the Orion, Tangente, and Ludwig, housing their older automatic movement. These were, however, all 37mm or larger in diameter, to accommodate the larger movement.

2. Although highly similar to their manual wind counterparts, the dials of the new automatics have slight differences. Many of the subdial scripts are different, but all pay homage to what I would call vintage styling.

All in all, I'm very pleased with Nomos's new offerings. I am not a fan of the salmon colored dials (especially the circles around the salmon Minimatik subdial), but I do really like the general line up and will continue to wait for updates from Nomos.

I am not going to talk about the new and very thin 3001 movement, since it's been covered in many other posts and articles, but I encourage you to look it up.

Screen Shot 2015-10-08 at 2.23.40 PM.png Screen Shot 2015-10-08 at 2.23.49 PM.png 12068532_773010559492620_8808717706601895874_o.jpg 12112214_772704042856605_8148059969121273836_n.jpg
    skomi, Lou P, Archer and 3 others like this.
  2. Audley Yung Oct 10, 2015

jesus these are expensive!

DasJagermeister likes this.
  3. ConElPueblo Oct 10, 2015

They look great! Fantastic that they are reducing the size, as Nomoses (Nomi?) wear extremely large on the wrist, most look ridiculous on me due to the slim bezels, long lugs and open dials. I haven't warmed to the Ludwig line, as I think the Roman numerals destroy that Bauhaus look which Nomos does so well. Would still love to see a Nomos without a sub-seconds.

4. ulackfocus Oct 10, 2015

Really? They all seem to be less than $4000, which ain't expensive at all in the mechanical watch world. Actually, I was thinking this thread shouldn't even be in the High End Forum.

gophishin and Archer like this.
  5. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Oct 10, 2015

Surprising conclusion - could you explain why you find these expensive?

I consider Nomos to be one of the better values out there actually. There are plenty of other brands that offer a whole lot less for a whole lot more.

jsaen, ELV web, gophishin and 3 others like this.
  6. chunkythebulldog Oct 10, 2015

Definitely good value except for when you buy in the UK where they cost about £1000.00 more than buying in Europe. Thinking about picking up a Worldtimer next time I'm on the continent.

7. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Oct 10, 2015

Is there a reason why they cost so much more in the UK? Here we can order through the Nomos site and all duties and taxes are included in the price. Even with all this they are still a good value...

8. chunkythebulldog Oct 10, 2015

Think it's because the Germans don't like us.:whistling: ::stirthepot::
    £3850.00 in UK €4200 on Continent which is about £2900.00. Out of interest how much is a Blue Worldtimer in Canada?

9. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Oct 10, 2015

Looks like the same as in the UK...

10. al128 unsolicited co-moderation giverer Nov 1, 2015

because there is nothing in there that remotely can be valued at 4k ... (which is true for 95% of all mechanical watches).

We (as the watch-freaks) need to really start understand that buying a 4-20k mechanical watch is the same as buying a 3k cashmere suit made by E. Zegna. They spend a big % of YOUR money on marketing that makes you believe the product is actually worth that amount of money.

I have worked 20 years in marketing (half of it in senior positions) ... and whereas I don't consider myself immune to its efforts, I can normally tell whats going on.

The price of a 5513 in the late 60ies was a decent / good price for a very nice toolwatch for the upper-working class at $150.00 (constellations were way more expensive IIRC). today the same Sub is the go-to De-Luxe status symbol for people who work in banks. What is the difference between then and now?

MARKETING! that's the difference.

when I hear phrases like Nomos = one of the better values ... (which is COMPARATIVELY true) - this tells me that MKTG successfully managed to manipulate our value-perception-scale.

IMHO the watches that TODAY come closest to what a Rlx Sub WAS are Steinhart's and Damasko and other micro-brands. Not cheap watches, but you get good mileage out of your 500-1k

11. ulackfocus Nov 1, 2015

First, use an inflation calculator to adjust your figures.

Second, we're dealing with veblan / luxury goods where perception of value is what counts.

Third, $4k IS a relative value compared to many other watches with in-house calibers.

Do you think a Bentley has $200,000 of material more than a Toyota? ;)

12. al128 unsolicited co-moderation giverer Nov 1, 2015

ok, inflation adjusted a RLX sub should be $919 today :cool:

(sidenote: found info on a Blancpain 50 fathom at $95 in a 1969 catalogue) how cool is that ...

and the remainder of your argumentation is "there is worse" (other watch brands, Bentley or my example: Fashion) ... and that was exactly my argument: We are half there ... paying 90% fluff/smoke screens/marketing and 10% for watches... but hey, a Hermes purse for 4k is really very well built ::bleh::

Again, I enjoy very well made watches just like the next guy here ... but wouldnt go as far as to call a run-of-the-mill / middle of the road watch like the Nomos @ 4k a good price, esp. if the 10 models they launched probably share 90% of all parts that a very precise machine churns out of a sheet of steel.

... and since you mention in-house-calibers ... that is the next marketing scam they try to shove down our throats.

My point is (and I dont want to get into fights or so): in the 1950ies watches were 90% as good as they are today and a great deal of mid tier companies had in-house calibers :whistling: ... now the difference is that people like me :whipped:, the marketeers managed to "add 80% value" (=price) to those watches by consumer landscaping and emotionally charging the brand. But as long as sheeple are willing to pay extra for a watch because a certain person used it (and this person does not even exist) ... they heck yeah ... 4k is a good price ::psy::

better get of my soapbox now
    cheers, al

Edited Nov 1, 2015
  13. Modest_Proposal Trying too hard to be one of the cool kids Nov 1, 2015

al128,

I appreciate your message. You have more marketing experience than nearly, if not entirely everybody on this forum.

But - you seem to be under the misapprehension that the majority of collectors on this site have been duped into believing that watches are intrinsically worth the money we pay for them.

The fact is, we know that a Rolex shouldn't be worth as much as a new car. We know that watches are a luxury good and that the pricing of luxury goods is a psychological game. We are aware of the meaning of conspicuous consumption. We know these things.

What matters here is this:

The openly ridiculous pricing for watches - or for any luxury good - should not weigh on your mind if you buy them at a price you know you can sell them for.

Because Nomos is a relatively good value - and that's all that we're saying here, I can afford to own their watches and keep my financials in order - and I know that at any time in the future, sans a economic meltdown, I can sell them and recoup my costs. But it is only because they are a relatively good value that I can do this at all.

We as watch collectors are keenly aware of the luxury tax and nearly always buy used to avoid the pitfalls you think we've fallen for.

14. al128 unsolicited co-moderation giverer Nov 1, 2015

I think we all know what the other is saying and that there is no real right-or-wrong here ... and - again - I dont want to disturb the smooth sailing here on this board (which I have come to appreciate) :thumbsup: ...

overall good arguments both sides ... and civil interchange without much :whipped: .... that is always welcome

and at least no forum meltdown like when I tried to point out that 0.7k on a beltbuckle might be considered ... ahem... ::facepalm1::
    ( http://www.mkelty.com/corniche )

cheers 2 all
    al

Modest_Proposal likes this.
  15. shutterlife Nov 1, 2015

Haven't been a fan of nomos. But I'll add one to the bottom of my list.

16. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Nov 1, 2015

Snipped the blah blah marketing blah blah...

Glad you agree! :thumbsup:

17. al128 unsolicited co-moderation giverer Nov 1, 2015

18. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Nov 9, 2015

"10 New Nomos Watches Released"
    10 opportunities to make me a customer with a sweeping central seconds hand.
    10 more sub-seconds models looking just like the rest of their catalogue.

19. Modest_Proposal Trying too hard to be one of the cool kids Nov 10, 2015

I must confess.... I am waiting for it.

Soon, I predict.

20. al128 unsolicited co-moderation giverer Nov 10, 2015

yep... i feel the same... honda launched 15 new accord models ... a green o e, a red one, a blue one...;o)