Forums Latest Members
  1. navin56 Jul 4, 2011

hi
    i just wanted to know why no one makes 1bph automatic movements technically they should have better power reserve but less torque right?

2. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 4, 2011

As in one beat per hour?

3. navin56 Jul 5, 2011

yes

4. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 5, 2011

You need some sort of mechanism that has a period of 1 beat per hour in that case, keep in mind that a pendulum in a grandfather clock only beats at about 120 per minute. The weight and swing of the oscillating mass would be immense to reach a period like that.

5. navin56 Jul 6, 2011

soryy i meant seconds oh damm:(

6. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 6, 2011

Ah ok ;) Yea, you still need a mass that will oscillate at a 1hz rate, which either needs to be a large mass traveling at a slow speed over a short or a small mass traveling at a fast speed over a long distance. Its just not going to be practical inside a watch.

7. The GMT Master Chris @ ΩF Jul 6, 2011

Rolex used to make a 1bps mechanical watch called the TruBeat - it was just a regular movement with a dead-seconds mechanism added. Not very popular in the end, though. You can read more here: http://www.hodinkee.com/blog/2008/1...eat-another-lesson-in-successful-failure.html

As for a modern day one, I don't think it would work from a marketing point of view. One of the big selling points of a mechanical watch is that it sweeps instead of ticks - it's the big differential between an automatic and a quartz. It may help increase power reserve, but automatic winding modules are so efficient these days, I'm not sure it would be necessary. Nice idea, though :thumbsup:

8. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 6, 2011

That is really the thing, manual winds can have up to a 10 day power reserve so its not impossible to get a long PR, the thing people really do like is that sweeping hand, the dead-beat complication was really dead as soon as Quartz hit.