Forums Latest Members

❅ Types of Watch Guys & Gals ❅

1. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector May 29, 2016

I was reading another thread and got the idea for this thread.

What type are you.

What others have I missed ( feel free to add to the list looking for the funniest )

Baby the watch.
    These are the guys that want screen protectors on their PO, crystal and bracelet clasp. Take their dive watch off to wash up ( and get a turtle out of a fish tank with 1ft of water like my mate at work) They wrap their watch in clad wrap when it rains

Wear it like its stolen.
    These guys want to take their Speedmaster to the beach. Do their on DIY on everything they own. They rock up on here after trying to bending their crown straight and snapping it off and asking how to fix it. They watch YouTube on other self proclaimed DIYers and open case backs with c-clip pliers

CDOs ( OCD but extremely even have to have OCD alphabetical)
    These guys post if their watch is .5 of a second out to the last hour. They have 3 apps on their phone for measuring time linked to 7 atomic clocks. They question COSC methodology daily. They have some traits from the first group when it comes to a scratch from a desk dive on the bracelet. They question a seller for days after they have bought a 50 year old watch on what happened 40 years ago at a service.

Have a few more but will let others have a go

YYTIN, Pun, felsby and 34 others like this.
  2. styggpyggeno1 ΩF Enforcer ....and thread killer May 29, 2016

Flipper
    Not the dolphin but the guy who is never satisfied for more than just the moment when getting the watch in his hand. The hunt is more than having the watch. Immediately wants something else and sells - in a never ending string of deals. If of the variety that only buys new watches these flippers can be a good source of second hand "new" watches as they take the first drop of value.

3. JimInOz Melbourne Australia May 29, 2016

What about the "OH WTF AM I WEARING THIS!"

Usually after wearing a really nice vintage out to a concert or dinner, and then the next morning just absent mindedly strapping it on.
    Have breakfast, read the paper, get bored.
    I know, I'll jet blast the patio to get rid of that moss.
    Puts on boots and safety glasses, grabs Karcher, goes for it full belt.

Then realises the grime/moss/water covered thing on his wrist is a solid gold Seamaster bumper from 1955..............

Spacefruit, lindo, OmegaP99 and 24 others like this.
  4. SeanO May 29, 2016

Gladiator/Horologist/Adam

really doesn't need explaining......

kkt, Jaacck and dennisthemenace like this.
  5. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector May 29, 2016

It does Adam?

blubarb likes this.
  6. SeanO May 29, 2016

not me.

just another sub category of watch nerd.

I fall into the "ooh shiny" category of watch appreciation. I just cant be arsed actually buying anything.

7. styggpyggeno1 ΩF Enforcer ....and thread killer May 29, 2016

More money than watch-interest
    Usually found in inner city business situations. Expensive watch but no idea about what it is. More of a status symbol than anything else.

lindo, GandOsDad, marco and 19 others like this.
  8. philh May 29, 2016

A sub breed The Flipper with remorse and longing for watches he now wishes he had not sold

marco, dantaspaulo, José9 and 6 others like this.
  9. Mr Bing May 29, 2016

10. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector May 29, 2016

Bespoke starter
    The guy that gets into watches and buys several watches at the $500 price range. Has 5 watches before he realised he should have just bought a Omega Speedmaster to start with as now he has a Speedmaster and 5 watches he never wears. The 5 mid range watches led him to researching about a quality watch.

11. Andreas May 29, 2016

The submariner guy
    i made it and i bought a Rolex submariner because is the BEST WATCH IN THE WORLD.
    All the successful people/cool guys/people in the movies have them!!!
    Also did i mention that Rolex is the best watch in the world and there is nothing else that compares to the Rolex that is the best?

fiberguy, Pun, lindo and 22 others like this.
  12. tyrantlizardrex May 29, 2016

The OMFG look at all the watches I must have them all NOW!

Buys all the watches... Gets bored of some of the watches... Sells some of the watches... Tries to slow down and work out what he wants... Buys more watches.

YYTIN, lindo, timoss and 30 others like this.
  13. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector May 29, 2016

bovecHD, kkt, phillipniles and 4 others like this.
  14. Mouse_at_Large still immune to Speedmaster attraction May 29, 2016

The Contrarian

Not drawn to Speedmasters, Constellations, Seamasters or other mainstream lines, The Contrarian will happily go down the paths less trodden. Polaris, Recife, Calypso are the sort of models that pique his interest. Quartz also holds no fears for him.

15. Tony C. Ωf Jury member May 29, 2016

Oddball
    I only bid on or buy watches that are described as "Minty", and have enjoyed great success. To be clear, I never bid on those described as "Mint". I am also considering developing a sub-collection restricted to those described as "ticking!", but of course only with the exclamation point.

16. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector May 29, 2016

Fixed it for you.....:whistling:

YYTIN, bovecHD, Nitzbar and 5 others like this.
  17. philh May 29, 2016

That's a bit close to home for the guy who owns a Steinhart, 2 X Seiko, Christoper Ward Dive watches and recently bought his first Sub ! :rolleyes:

crd, GandOsDad, Pun and 4 others like this.
  18. lillatroll May 29, 2016

The he who doesn't care for a Speedmaster guy
    A select group of watch collector who can t understand why this watch in particular is so popular. He does read all the threads about them, even knows an ed white from a 145.012. He is beginning to be brainwashed into buying one because every thread is about speedmasters so he thinks he should get one even though he doesn't want one. ( If anyone has a 1973 861 stepped dial, on an original bracelet, please PM me........only joking, make it a mark ii and I might be interested )

STANDY, ghce, crd and 23 others like this.
  19. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector May 29, 2016

The strap collector
    For these guys it's more about the leather fetish than the watches. The Panerai guys are the hardcore of this group. These guys don't need watch boxes they need strap boxes. Mostly modern watches that they could change the look for a whole month. These guys are the ones that buy that green strap you would browse straight past.

( not to be confused with the NATO guys )

20. ulackfocus May 29, 2016

Guess I'm a mix of "flipper", "oddball", and "horologist". I was going to say "contrarian" too right up until the part about quartz being okay. ::stirthepot::

Most start this way. ;) Personally, it's the best way because you find out what you want through direct experience. I would have never known I like Breitling if I didn't own several. It's the polar opposite of my normal taste. I think it was either Nigel (@NT931 ) or Henriato (@Privateday7) that saw my Chrono Cockpit in the WRUW thread on WUS years ago and said "You own a Breitling????".