Forums Latest Members
  1. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Feb 9, 2015

I know!
    Fun, isnt it

Beats arguing with my real 14 year old

Edited Feb 9, 2015
    Lucasssssss, chezjoe and Hijak like this.
  2. jrpippen Feb 10, 2015

I accept all you have said lads, I don't refute or refuse any opinions. Please don't confuse spirited discussion and questioning of those opinions as such and please don't be offended when I ask you to prove your credentials, or at least gives me some idea you may have some when your opinion is opposite to what I've been told.

I'm glad of the input. :)

As far as the watch goes I will investigate further, if it's a redial il have a new one fitted at STS. It's an easy fix and the. It's all signing all dancing. If it's not, it's something a little different.

I suppose even if it is a "redial" as long as it's on an original dial not really bothered that much. I bought it because I like it.

As for being crazy enough to suggest it's a prototype, that's exactly the sort of comment that makes these things blow up. Withall of us being forum veterans, although my main experience not being here, (it seems there is a reason for that!) It's inflammatory. That's the hook, sorry if I bit! But, it's was "My man" as STS suggested that, not me. I just repeated it. Anyway, let's not go back there.

What's plain here guys is that correctly or not, you are most protective of your status as Omega experts. Which is fine, but when someone explains to you that they have been told something by an "official" omega expert, although you may believe that holds very little weight or real credential, in actual fact it's the only real credential to those outside your small online bubble that is accessible without expense or personal contact with strangers who have experience. I didn't go into denial, I just protected and argued the opinion I was given by "my" omega expert. Which of course meant, to your disgust, that I did not accept the opposing opinion straight away or emphatically.

Like I said, it's hardly an expensive watch, and my argument was not driven by disappointment or financial aspects but simply by not being willing to just accept that someone here is right just because they, and 4-5 of their friends say they are.

:)

Edited Feb 10, 2015
    Spacefruit likes this.
  3. Hijak Feb 10, 2015

::popcorn::

styggpyggeno1 and jose75 like this.
  4. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Feb 10, 2015

What I especially like about this thread is that while blood has run hot, no one (yet) has actually stormed off to the corner of the playground.

It is fascinating to see how we all think, standards we expect, and frankly the tolerance and forgiveness some exhibit.

Gentlemen, (because frankly we all are) keep coming back.

apsm100 likes this.
  5. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Feb 10, 2015

As close to a Jedi as i can get is a similar dial on this
    waterproof strap.jpg

6. marturx Feb 10, 2015

Since I´m confident that your Omega expert on STS will confirm that your watch has been repainted, I do hope that you´ll get back here and tell us "hey guys, you were right about my watch". Since you have fought against our judgements so hard, I hope that you at least will show us that courtesy.

Sincerely yours

Marturx, the mudslinger:D

7. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Feb 10, 2015

Most like myself will only be too happy to PM you if a dial was to be seen in my/our searching of the web for fine watches. :)

Nobel Prize likes this.
  8. Fost Feb 10, 2015

I would like to thanks everybody on this thread for your patience ! I am coming from french forums where guys are really less patient than you guys!!! It would at taken 3 reply before closing the post with a " Redial . Closed". That's why i really like this OF !

Buy the way....i have no 'Friends' here (not yet :) )... i am not even expert in Seamaster ...but...fairly... Even if it was a prototype (of course not)... i think the Omega guy who painted it was at least completely drunk or even more... It remains me a post several years ago about a non-professional twisted lugs speedmaster...

9. jrpippen Feb 11, 2015

Haaaaaaa!!!

10. Davidt Feb 11, 2015

Good lord! Finally made it to the end of this thread.

To the OP, after just receiving a watch back from STS myself, I agree, they are truly excellent at servicing vintage Omegas. They listen, advise and follow your instructions to the letter to ensure that the correct balance between originality and functionality is maintained.

However, it does look like they may have incorrectly labeled this dial as original, or you mis interpreted them.

Either way, how about sending a quick photo of the dial to the tech outlining some of the concerns raised here to get his opinion again. Perhaps it'll provide some closure?!

I can honestly say as well that no one here would've liked anything better than to tell you that you have an exceedingly rare dial that looks like it could be original. Unfortunately there are several factors which strongly suggest this isn't the case but these things happen and it's good discussions on subjects just like this that make OF to educational and entertaining!;)

Norfolk and Spacefruit like this.
  11. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 14, 2015

Coming late to this surprisingly long thread & as a totally neutral comment as one of many members here who have spent thousands with STS, I recommend the OP speaks to the service manager at STS to confirm exactly what they do "certify".

Chris is not the Omega service manager. You need to speak to Simon, who will probably be very pleased to receive an email with a picture of the dial and to confirm both his personal (I.e. not Omega) thoughts and what the status of Chris' comments actually is.

That may not provide a definitive answer to you, but it will put your reliance on the STS service in the correct, and hopefully helpful, context.

12. PatrickJ Apr 16, 2015

Buy new, then you do not have to live with this ????? crap.

13. lenny Apr 16, 2015

14. watchme First Owner - Omega Darkside Apr 17, 2015

Don't do it!
    image.jpg

15. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Apr 17, 2015

16. M.D. Apr 17, 2015

Wow that was a long read. Entertaining and informative. As this thread started some time back, I'm surprised the OP hasn't followed up with an update from his contact at STS. Can I take that as an indirect admission that OF members were correct?

watchme likes this.
  17. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Apr 17, 2015

18. Wetworks Apr 17, 2015

I had a Constellation spiffed up by a very well-respected watchmaker who sourced a replacement dial straight from Omega that was missing the TTs. These were aftermarket service dials as I understand it. But they definitely weren't "redials."

19. lenny Apr 17, 2015

Why would Omega sell aftermarket dials? If they were actual Omega service replacements, they'd be missing the "t" because they had super luminova instead.

Spacefruit and Archer like this.
  20. italy1861 Apr 17, 2015

The hour markers from 4-8 are upside down.... An Omega replacement dial would have better attention to detail..

JimInOz likes this.