Forums Latest Members
  1. jrpippen Feb 8, 2015

I've sent you a PM mate. :)

2. megamon Feb 8, 2015

Bonjour!
    @jrpippen can you post some more pics of the dial?
    I think it's a stunning piece but the "24" on this subdial bugs me. The placement with the black ticks looks off.
    Also, the lack of "border" around the date window.

However it's true, there were dial variations and there can always be exceptions! I really want to know what the final consensus turns out to be!

Best,
    Pinzon

image.jpg image.jpg
  3. jrpippen Feb 8, 2015

Of course no problem. Il get some in natural light tomorrow. :)

4. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Feb 8, 2015

The finishing on this dial (real or not) is a little poor for a watch in this category. Specially since the other versions of it are quite well accomplished. That "24" does stand out a little to me too. I get that Omega may have transitional Dial variations, but not so much that they would have a lapse in production standards. I mean, not just the uneven placement but also the type used for the numbers. Here's a detail of the other example posted on a "more standard" dial.

Screen Shot 2015-02-08 at 4.47.23 PM.png
    megamon likes this.
  5. jrpippen Feb 8, 2015

If it's a Prototype? There can be no question of its authenticity as its just been back to omega. Like 2 weeks ago!

6. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Feb 8, 2015

Why would a prototype be poorly done? they use the same machines and techs to do it no? Besides if that gent told you he has seen these before, how many prototypes would they make? and why make the prototype flip the seamster/speedmaster series...more than a prototype it seems a series of lapses in judgement.

However if you are right and this came out like this then I am sure it has an added value, much like a two face coin or a reversed stamp. Call Christies!!

Also if it is a Prototype for heavens sakes return the original hands to that dial!!

jrpippen likes this.
  7. megamon Feb 8, 2015

@Sergio Maclean well put.

Especially with a higher price tag item like this - with a built in complication, quality usually bumps up a bit. I'm very interested to see the final results, if it turns out to be a prototype or special build - pictures and documentation are in order!!
    Pinzon

8. megamon Feb 8, 2015

@jrpippen have you requested for Archive documentation?

9. jrpippen Feb 8, 2015

The debate is interesting so a crap pic of the 24!

[​IMG][​IMG]

Nobel Prize likes this.
  10. jrpippen Feb 8, 2015

No. How would one go about doing that?

11. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Feb 8, 2015

So weird! jrpippen I would not place this on sale if I where you until you sort out that provenance documentation, If anything because I should think if it's real it will change the value of it. Or Omega themselves will want it. I

12. jrpippen Feb 8, 2015

It can't be replica though Sergio. omega have just serviced it.

The original hands are safe. I can have them out back on no problem. :)

Nobel Prize likes this.
  13. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Feb 8, 2015

Well then research the value of it. Would Omega not service a watch with a redial?

14. jrpippen Feb 8, 2015

Not in my experience, they would change it out for a replacement, and charge you for the privilege while keeping the "redial".

I had quite an in depth conversation about it, questions about where I got it etc etc. I asked for the luminous hands as i prefer to have them but they told me to keep the originals safe. (I asked for them back of course anyway). The original airplane hand is orange on black and the chrono seconds white

15. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Feb 8, 2015

Wow, I would have never change something genuinely unique for something else. better to have a one in several thousand copies. But that's just me. Enjoy the watch man. strange little beast you have there. I would still ask for paperwork and certificaton from Omega or a third party because if you sell it you'll most likely needed and it will add value to it.

16. jrpippen Feb 8, 2015

When you say a third party, what do you mean?

I obviously need to get documentation about its dial, as its caused a stir, (although I'm not sure how!!) but what can be more true authenticity than 2 week old paperwork from omega it's self?

It's hardly moody!

17. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Feb 8, 2015

A third party is someone like Aaron Faber in NYC that provides certification for insurance and appraisal/sales/auction pieces. He checks provenance and the records and serial of the watch in question against the Brand official records and then issues, or not, a certificate of authenticity.

As per what can be more authentic than paperwork from Omega it would be a solid argument if that paperwork stated the piece is original and not finished, as well as any replacements made, be it the dial, or the hands etc etc. Having a provenance by default won't be enough for many buyers. I've seen refinished and redials being serviced by big houses, not sure if Omega does this or not. I am not talking about replica watches, no one wants that, but frankens and other redials maybe serviced if the movement is Authentic.

I am not saying Omega does, or not, nor am I saying this is the case with this watch; what I am saying is that there is enough strangeness on this dial that without papers many won't buy. Me being one of them, unless I did my own research and found I can sell it for more because of it's exceptional anomalies.

18. megamon Feb 8, 2015

The 24 continues to bother me.
    Also I don't see any lume material at all, there should be traces somewhere. If it's all off then it must have aged, looking at the overall dial it looks brand new. The font is also very bold, the S in Speedmaster gives some concern.

More OF members will jump on board with their opinion. I'll keep track of this thread, it's interesting!
    Pinzon

19. Norfolk Feb 8, 2015

Lovely watch - regret selling mine!

20. stefan Feb 8, 2015

Just look at the colour difference between the original tachy insert and dial, also fonts are not correct