Forums Latest Members

“No. I’m not taking off my Rolex!”

1. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Oct 16, 2018

I said to the she wolf at the Sagrada Familia security check point in Barcelona. Pure chaos. Worse than an airport. They were insisting we strip everything metal. People were just tossing stuff in bins. Intermingled since bins were in short supply. “Well put your wallet in the bin. That’s not a Rolex.” She said imperiously . I reluctantly stuffed it into my hat and complied. Wasn’t happy. See I can replace my wallet, but replace the watch? Thanks to whatever it is that Rolex is doing with sport models ... not so much. It was a stand off that I won. I’d have walked away otherwise. Wife was like WTF? She doesn’t get it.

2. WatchVaultNYC Oct 16, 2018

Which is why I only wear my watch once I get past security. Before that its in my carry-on

mikekchc, jljl123, flw and 4 others like this.
  3. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Oct 16, 2018

You’re better than me. I wouldn’t even wait on THAT line.

Jonatan, Linzer and JohnSteed like this.
  4. Om3ga321 Oct 16, 2018

I like it.Stops all the hassles.

mikekchc likes this.
  5. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Oct 16, 2018

Never a problem in airports ... to risk its loss to enter a cathedral I’ve been to before? No way.

Millenary Watches and JohnSteed like this.
  6. Vercingetorix Spam Risk Oct 16, 2018

Now you are on the “list.”
    633FBBA0-03FD-413D-8079-CF2FBC0F9A04.gif

joso and kkt like this.
  7. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Oct 16, 2018

Maybe you never told her how much it cost?:whistling:

mikekchc, Jwit, kkt and 11 others like this.
  8. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Oct 16, 2018

Fair point.:(

Uniqez, Jwit, George.A and 10 others like this.
  9. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Oct 16, 2018

I was at La Sagrada Familia last year and while I remember going through a metal detector, I don't remember it being that much of a hassle.

However, I'm sure that I was wearing a watch with a rubber watchband, so it likely didn't raise suspicions.

LSF.jpg
    LSF1.jpg

Not sure what has changed since November 2017.
    gatorcpa

Larry S and Mmike1357 like this.
  10. rafabond Oct 16, 2018

I give from Barcelona, since the attacks the security measures are high, it is a nuisance but better to prevent

Uniqez likes this.
  11. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Oct 16, 2018

If I'm travelling with My Darlin' (which is 99% of the time) and there is a chaotic security gate (yes, you Frankfurt!).

1. I put any valuables in the tray, go through cleanskin first and wait at the exit of the Xray.

2. She puts our tray/s on the chute and it comes through.

3. I grab our stuff before anybody else can.

I also wear non-alarming clothing like plastic belt buckles, "no-beep" shoes, no jewellery, no metal spectacles.

12. Dan S Oct 16, 2018

These are good strategies, but not foolproof. In the US there is always the chance of being randomly selected for an additional check, which means they pull you aside for manual inspection. Of course, if you are traveling alone (like me, 99% of the time), this is not a viable approach anyway.

Fortunately, the TSA never requires me to remove my watch, so this is a completely moot point. :)

Edited Oct 16, 2018
    watch3s and flw like this.
  13. superfly Oct 17, 2018

I have found that removing a watch at airport security is completely optional.

I've had TSA agents in the US say, "I wouldn't take a watch like that off" and similar.

Just FWIW.

watch3s, chanbar, Steve88M3 and 3 others like this.
  14. JohnSteed Oct 17, 2018

Borne of that perfect mix of paranoia, fear. Not a healthy state these days...

Huus likes this.
  15. albertob Oct 17, 2018

When I travel I usually do like @WatchVaultNYC. My watch is in the carry-on luggage.

I also have with me a Swatch system 51, just because it feels weird (to me, at least) not to have a watch on the wrist.

Well, although the metal in the system 51 is minimal, I was asked many times to take it off and run the metal detector again.

16. JamieG Oct 17, 2018

I flatly refuse now to remove any watch that I’m wearing at airport security. In fairness it only ever seems to be an issue at Manchester Airport in the UK.

If asked I politely smile and say “I’m sorry but it was bought for me by my late Father, it was very expensive and I’m not going to let it out of my sight. If I set your machine off your colleagues can use the wand”

As long as it’s delivered in a firm, measured and polite way it usually works well. The security staff usually give up at this point.

My son does the same but ended up in a standoff at Birmingham. To be fair he stood his ground and said if it got stolen that I would probably kill him. He compromised by telling the security person that he wanted her name and employee details then he would give her the watch whilst he went through and she must hand it back to him. She waived him through with a huff ;)

17. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Oct 17, 2018

When I travel I wear something I can live with loosing.

Seiko or Citizen divers are the usual choice, tough and replaceable.

lando and Syrte like this.
  18. Khamenman Oct 17, 2018

That is a very good answer!

You mean: In the US there is always the chance of being "randomly" selected for an additional check :rolleyes:

Uniqez likes this.
  19. ioaniro Oct 17, 2018

Doesn't this qualify for the I live in my small world and don't give a crap about others category? I get why people refuse to take off expensive watches for checks but if most people would argue that at the queues the waiting time at check-ins would be unbearable . I usually wear normal priced watches if I travel and know I'll go through security at some point. Just because we like to wear expensive watches doesn't mean we need special rules for them. Am I wrong?

drhombus24 likes this.
  20. Wivac Terribly special Oct 17, 2018

I've found UK Airports used to be a mixed bag going through security for me. Usually use the BA fastlanes if possible as they're the path of least resistance. However, having once witnessed someone have something stolen at Security, and going understandably ballistic at the 'officers', everything now goes in the hand luggage. They want to search it? No problem, I'll be stood over them.

Incidentally, there was very little in the way of resolution to that theft. 'Security' isn't there to 'secure' your property, even when instructed to walk away from it the person was told.
    That's when they really hit the roof.

Millenary Watches and Dan S like this.