Forums Latest Members

“Christine”: my ’57 LE Railmaster- a reality check

1. Gilthoniel Nov 20, 2017

Fantastic photos

I'm still on the fence abt the RM.

2. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Nov 20, 2017

That's why most collectors put case-back stickers on the case-backs of their beloved (and valuable) watches. They cost next to nothing...

3. hotwheels Nov 20, 2017

Brilliant review and pics, looking forward to getting mine ........thanks

Longbow likes this.
  4. hotwheels Nov 21, 2017

Great review, every scar tells a story..............

Longbow likes this.
  5. Longbow Nov 21, 2017

Joking aside for a moment, what sort of material is that caseback protector that you use? Is it just plain plastic, with adhesive or something entirely different?

I tried the one that came with the original packaging; not sure if it was on the crystal or caseback originally though.

It sort of self adheres to the case without adhesive and that was the root of the problem - it also stuck to my wrist (lower forearm*) preventing the watch head from moving around naturally as well getting really sweaty underneath*.

I don’t wear my watches very tight or very loose. A little bit of free movement helps prevent pressure points but also hinders the watch flopping around and the little plastic disc that I tried just messed around with that setup, which is near perfect on the RMLE....without that crappy bit of plastic.

If your cheap solution avoids the watch becoming “sticky/sweaty” then I might be persuaded to be more circumspect in the future.

*I’d need another 10 to 15 links to get the bracelet round my un-simian upper forearm though.

6. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Nov 22, 2017

https://omegaforums.net/threads/watch-protector-pads-caseback-stickers-free-to-a-good-home.12306/

-> described nicely, with a pic

Longbow likes this.
  7. Retromlc Dec 13, 2017

My first proper watch I bought 2 years ago,I was looking for a speedmaster but bought a mint condition 2008 Railmaster,tbh I've only worn it once, the first day I got it and I have never taken it off,it's a beautiful watch,it's not mint now but looks better for it, runs good time,well the only time I take it off is when I'm racing my dirt bikes but it sits in the van waiting for me to put it back on, the 60th is awesome but is so close to mine it's not worth getting for me. Still looking for a speedmaster but there's no rush

8. kwiklot Dec 25, 2017

And this is why I want a new LE RM because of the classic look in the wild shots are even better. Ty

Longbow likes this.
  9. munichblue Dec 28, 2017

How about this? :D

83E85F0C-4E69-4B61-B421-B99A9DE17917.jpeg

Peter_from_NL, SuperHero, Pun and 4 others like this.
  10. kwiklot Dec 28, 2017

Longbow likes this.
  11. Longbow Dec 28, 2017

12. kwiklot Dec 30, 2017

I keep finding myself coming back to your review, you take some amazing shots OP. The urge for me to wear it sparingly to preserve it will be there but it seems like it must be worn, the attentional to detail in your photos is awesome.

Pun and Longbow like this.
  13. grailmaster Dec 30, 2017

I am the proud owner of a Railmaster LE and simply love the vintage aspects of the watch

14. kwiklot Dec 30, 2017

Awesome. First post :)

15. R3D9 Dec 30, 2017

That combo is fantastic. Mind sharing where you picked up the strap?

The more I see of the RM, the more I’m convinced it’s the best of the three trilogy releases.

16. Wing Zero Dec 30, 2017

Great looking Railmaster. Keep rocking it

Longbow likes this.
  17. jlafou1 Dec 31, 2017

What size is your wrist if you don't mind me asking? I tried it on at my local AD with leather strap and found the gap between case and spring bar to be a bit distracting on leather. I never noticed the crystal curvature though, thanks for pointing it out! Well written review

Longbow likes this.
  18. Travelller Jan 20, 2018

Fantastic review, thank you! :)

I absolutely love the dial, caseback and that domed crystal - same as my 1950 PAMs - I am addicted to domed crystals which is why both my Speedmasters have Hesalite (despite the fact that I'm guilty of OCD and have an unnatural fear scratches :p).
    In comparison, my SM300MC's "domed" crystal is really purely functional (to eliminate reflections under water) but for all intent and purposes, looks flat.

I wrote the '57 Railmaster off when I read about the size but as I'm having little difficulty enjoying my 39.9mm Seiko 62MAS reissue, I owe it to myself to at least give one a try (assuming I can even find one sitting around in a OB/AD).

Enjoy! :thumbsup:

Dat dome.... ::love::
    [​IMG]

19. Longbow Jan 20, 2018

It varies slightly between circa 7.25" (cold) and 7.5" (hot weather in aircraft).

20. trebor2 Sep 27, 2018

I'm trying to decide between this and the non-limited Railmaster. Loved the latter on the fabric strap it comes with but it felt a little bulky and heavy on my (just under) 7 inch wrist. Will have to call in to my AD to try this one.