Forums Latest Members
  1. chadeaux May 6, 2021

I was considering getting a new 3861 steel, and maybe get the “Canopus” white dial to have an alternative look.
    Do you think it will ever be possible to order dial and hands from Omega?
    Or from any other parts retailer?

Any suggestions?
    Thanks

2. Dan S May 6, 2021

You may want to develop a relationship with an independent watchmaker that maintains an Omega parts account.

3. chadeaux May 7, 2021

Thanks.
    I guess that ordering directly from the omega boutique is not an option.
    Maybe watchmakers cannot even order the piece.
    Alright I will start looking around.

4. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 7, 2021

Omega doesn't condone you making a franken watch, so they aren't going to sell you a dial and hands to make one with. They don't sell these sorts of parts to the public anyway, only to watchmakers who are authorized by Omega.

The parts can be ordered, but they are quite expensive...$2500 or so for the dial alone...and on the open market prices are often double what Omega charges.

Dan S likes this.
  5. chadeaux May 7, 2021

thanks for the clear information!
    I’m not trying to create a franken to fool somebody, I just think it looks pretty stunning with that white dial.
    On the other side I don’t want to do it if this is considered somewhat “illegal/bad”.
    Do you think a watchmaker would consider this as a possible project?
    Maybe Omega will not provide the part to the watchmaker anyway.
    Thanks again for your expertise, highly appreciated.

6. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 7, 2021

Personally, I won't do this sort of thing, because no matter what your intention might be, if you sell the watch, you don't have control over what someone else may do with it or sell it as.

This is a real issue with LE's of certain types. I have the ability to use the Omega Extranet to put in a serial number and be able to tell what the reference of the watch is. This allows me to verify if a serial number that appears to be an LE, is actually an LE - Mitsukoshi Speedmasters, Mauri Speedmaster Reduced, Japan Racing, etc.

This isn't a theoretical issue, as I get asked several times per week by PM here to check a serial number for someone, and the number of times it comes back as a converted watch is alarming. I choose not to contribute to that problem.

For example, I just had someone PM me a serial number this week to check to make sure a watch they had bought as an "original" LE was actually the LE. Unfortunately the that person it was a regular model that had been converted, so they paid a premium for the watch when it's not warranted.

There are watchmakers who will do this, and that's their choice, but Omega would certainly not approve of them doing this, so it could have repercussions for them if Omega were to find out.

7. chadeaux May 7, 2021

I see your point.
    Then the only way would be to drop 50K to get the Canopus :)

I guess I will need to start saving!

PandaSPUR and Aludic like this.
  8. PandaSPUR May 8, 2021

I was actually looking at the canopus gold speedy today at my local boutique and the AD told me that Omega reserves the white/silver dial for precious metal speedmasters only... I found that statement kinda strange since I know there have been past steel speedys with fully white dials, although maybe not in the standard moonwatch pro layout. Any idea what thats about? Is it true that white moonwatch pro dials are for precious metal models only?

EDIT: As I do some more googling, the above statement from my AD seems entirely false.. unless he also meant white dial + silver hands... seems oddly specific though. I should've asked him to clarify but I was too entranced by the watch itself lol.

Also, unrelated to the OP, but since you mentioned LEs and running serial #s. For Master Chronometer models, would checking the Master Chronometer test results on Omega's site using a watch's serial and access code be equally as effective for authenticating a LE?

9. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 9, 2021

AD's are not terribly reliable sources of technical information, IMO...

If you can tie the serial number and model reference, you would be able to know.

PandaSPUR likes this.
  10. jjimfer May 10, 2021

There is a model from 1994 (Apollo XI 25th Anniversary) with silver dial, very similar to the new canopus silver dial. It was also a white gold case Speedmaster, but service dials were manufactured and can be purchased in different websites. You can have some info about this model at Fratello:
    https://www.fratellowatches.com/speedy-tuesday-omega-speedmaster-chronometer-white-gold/#gref
    Those service silver dials and set of hands can be purchased here:
    https://www.swisslimitededitions.co...nniversary-w-g-apollo-11-silver-dial-148-0062
    You can always build a Speedmaster Mod taking a 1861 Speedy as a donor and changing the dial and hands.
    I love mine...

Silver Speedy.jpg
    Edited May 10, 2021
    machamp6650 and TJH like this.
  11. machamp6650 May 10, 2021

I have to say, that silver dial mod looks incredible! Add another custom speedy project to the list *sigh*

From the listed website, service dial prices seem to be getting pretty aggressive though...

jjimfer likes this.
  12. PandaSPUR May 10, 2021

Not surprising considering they're not supposed to be openly selling those to the public, and its probably already plenty expensive when you do order them legitimately through an AD.

jjimfer likes this.
  13. chadeaux May 10, 2021

Thank you!
    This looks pretty nice.
    But I guess the objective issue will be similar to modding the new speedy with the Canopus dial.
    Watchmakers might not like the idea.
    Thing that I understand, although I’ve seen other watches with dials swapped, just for aesthetic reasons.
    Anyway, yours looks great.

jjimfer likes this.
  14. jjimfer May 11, 2021

Thank you! I think the most difficult task is to source the dial and the set of hands. An Omega certified watchmaker can source them directly from Omega but he wouldn't like to do the swap. One Omega certified watchmaker even told me that he understood me but he was not allowed by Omega to do these modifications. The easiest way is to buy them from these websites and then ask to a good and independent watchmaker to do the job.

15. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 11, 2021

What is 3.6X the actual retail price between friends, eh?

machamp6650, Scarecrow Boat and YY77 like this.