Forums Latest Members

Zenith Rainbow Flyback... share your experience...

1. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Sep 2, 2014

These have always caught my eye, but have never pulled the trigger for one reason or another. Lately though, it is climbing back up the the aquisition list. As the release of a "new and improved" (and IMO over-large) version now on the market, I've been looking at these again. :whistling: The El Primero is a classic movement, and this reference seems not a bad place to start - I do love the look of them. They seem to be selling in the low-mid US$3K range on the 'bay, though many are listed higher.

Any members out there willing to share wrist shots, info, and personal comments (plus and minus) would be welcomed.

There is some info here Is It Correct that the Rainbow Flyback (1997) was Developed for, but would love to hear and see more from our knowledgeable members, owners or otherwise.

2. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 2, 2014

You know Zenith have just now re-released the rainbow, the new one looks pretty cool

3. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Sep 2, 2014

That's what had me looking again. I like the style of the new version, but it is way too large for my taste. :)

4. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 2, 2014

Yea I'd agree with that too, the older ones are a bit more moderate

Darlinboy likes this.
  5. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Sep 3, 2014

I had the non-Rainbow version, and constantly beat myself up for not loving it. What I remember loving was the flyback feature, bezel, and legibility. I did not like the angular shape of the case, the bracelet, and the clasp which felt cheap. Just not my favorite design, but some of my favorite features.

Darlinboy likes this.
  6. Veritas99 Sep 3, 2014

Overall, I prefer it to the newer model. Like with many of modern EPs, Zenith still hasn't figured out how to deal with the subdials on a larger watch. Despite being 45mm, there's still overlap to allow the date to move to 6.

I wanted a Rainbow Flyback for a long time before finally pulling the trigger on one from a seller in Japan a few months ago. Since then it has quickly become my daily wearer (displacing my PO XL and an assortment of vintage Zeniths). I have big wrists, but I find the look and size of the Rainbow line to be just fine for most occasions. I will echo an earlier comment that the clasp can leave something to be desired. My mango Rainbow has the same style clasp and has never given me a problem, but the clasp on the Flyback is slightly worn and constantly pops open if I'm not careful.

Overall, I think it's a great place to start with Zenith. It's Zenith's first flyback movement, has an interesting story behind its development, and has the cool factor of being the "original" version to the current Stratos Rainbow Flyback. Given the asking prices for the early Cal. 3019 EPs these days, it still represents a good bargain on a historic EP.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

(sorry for crappy photos, they were snapped tonight with my phone)

fskywalker, VjaceCZ, George.A and 5 others like this.
  7. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Sep 3, 2014

Nice pair, and thanks for your thoughts!

VjaceCZ likes this.
  8. ezinternet Sep 4, 2014

Ditto to what Veritas99 said. I think the design of the original Flyback doesn't put a foot wrong anywhere. It was an exercise in function, for legibility and clarity that just turned out to look lovely. There's lots of detail in the dial but it doesn't appear cluttered. And the color adds interest without being jarring.

Also, compared to other Rainbow models at the time, e.g. the bright and shiny Mango, the Flyback has a brushed (or satin) finish. It makes for a subtle wear. (Again, this was for functional reasons, to suppress reflections that could blind a pilot.)

Lastly, for no good reason, I put a Thomas Priek sapphire case back for mine. Not sure if the new one has the view back, but you can enjoy the older movement on this one too, if you'd like.

Oh, and it looks great on a strap with red stiching.

Can't go wrong :)

-ez

FlyBack0001_small.jpg FlyBack0002_small.jpg FlyBack0003_small.jpg FlyBack0004_small.jpg

9. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Jun 13, 2022

Dredging up an old thread to add some important information. The Rainbow Flyback was the choice of stylish Sopranos henchman Furio Giunta (Federico Castelluccio), seen here in Season 4, episode 12 (December 1, 2002), at about 5:35.
    E1769FC2-7B91-4DCD-8219-87C470C810D0.jpeg

Wearing my Furio Flyback today:

B173F313-F59C-4FB7-9633-F575B404C15C.jpeg

10. VjaceCZ Jun 13, 2022

Here is mine one. Love it. I actually sold it once and few months later convinced the new owner to sell it back to me. Having one in a collection is a must for me.

DAC3A702-08E3-49BA-83E5-A9FCCFFD67D5.jpeg

11. Jkuback Oct 2, 2023

Revival of this amazing thread:

My 02. Flyback - the black rainbow :D
    IMG_20230929_135526~2.jpg

fskywalker, Dsloan and George.A like this.
  12. Hijak Oct 2, 2023

One of my favorite watches. will never let this go!!!

upload_2023-10-2_8-50-38.jpeg

fskywalker, Dsloan, George.A and 2 others like this.
  13. fskywalker Oct 8, 2023

Late to the game, can I play? :)

IMG_2781.jpeg

Edited Mar 26, 2024 6:04am
  14. drunkenseamaster Dec 26, 2023

IMG_0501.JPG
    fskywalker, Dsloan, Duracuir1 and 2 others like this.
  15. drster Mon. 11:18pm

I had several of the older 40mm Rainbow Flybacks. A great watch. I think it's time to get another.

fskywalker and Lou P like this.