Forums Latest Members

Zenith movement with plain balance wheel

1. laikrodukas Jul 23, 2014

Hi,

Could anyone tell me what Caliber is this?
    And why is the balance wheel plain?

[​IMG]

Thank You

2. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Jul 23, 2014

It looks like a 106 variant of some description. The serial dates it to around 1937/1938 but I wouldn't expect to see a balance without screws from that date.

I haven't seen all of the 106 variants but I have never seen one with a plain balance, nor that regulator and the balance cock is a slightly different shape from the ones I have seen.

Does it have a seconds sub-dial or is it a central seconds movement? - they made both in the 106.

3. laikrodukas Jul 23, 2014

It is subsecond one
    Maybe it just a shot while on the move :/ But in that case there should be some blured circle around the wheel

4. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Jul 23, 2014

It is definitely stopped (or a very fast shutter speed) You can see the spiral of the hair spring.

5. alvaropinto Jul 26, 2014

I think this is the cal. wich 106 with the extension B: cam disc regulator as referenced at bidfun.
    I also think the balance wheel is original- i also have a couple of watches of the same cal. and period with exact the same BW(plain).
    Yours is very clean wich is rare.

6. Modest_Proposal Trying too hard to be one of the cool kids Jul 26, 2014

The balance wheel does have screws - you can see them blurred. I think the balance wheel is coming to a stop in one direction, giving the impression that it's not moving. Not sure why the hairspring isn't blurred as much...